Meaning of Tv and Av

Old December 10th 04, 07:10 PM
John McWilliams

Angela wrote:
"Fletis Humplebacker" ! wrote in message

It sounds like rocket science to me. So far no one has been
able to answer the question. How does Av get abbreviated
as aperature priority? Perhaps Aperature value? I'm personally
not curious enough to "google for it".

Perhaps it's because the aperture value is what you change and that has
priority over the other settings - hence aperture priority?

When Av is selected, its value is what determines the shutter speed. The
word priority can be misleading, as it implies that other things might
come ahead of it, whereas when you set Av to ƒ8 for example, it stays there.

--
John McWilliams

Old December 10th 04, 07:28 PM
James Silverton

"Jon Pike" wrote in message
. 159...
"Marcel" wrote in
:

Hi all!
On my Canon Pro 1 (as other Canons), one can set the mode dial at
"Aperture priority" and "Shutter speed priority".
However these are designated as Av and Tv. I never remember which
is
which. Can someone tell me what the Av, Tv stand for, please?

That -should- be in your manual...
And if you've lost it, such information is readily available on the
web. I
would encourage you to try www.google.com.

Don't you hate referrals to other places instead of giving the answer?
It's what I call the "dictionary disease"; for example "flite, see
flyte". (Incidentally, a meaning of "flite" is "scold").

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Old December 10th 04, 07:28 PM
James Silverton

"Jon Pike" wrote in message
. 159...
"Marcel" wrote in
:

Old December 10th 04, 10:45 PM
Michael A. Covington

"Marcel" wrote in message
Hi all!
On my Canon Pro 1 (as other Canons), one can set the mode dial at
"Aperture
priority" and "Shutter speed priority".
However these are designated as Av and Tv. I never remember which is
which.
Can someone tell me what the Av, Tv stand for, please?

Aperture value

Time value

Old December 11th 04, 12:48 AM
Jon Pike

John McWilliams wrote in

Jon Pike wrote:

"Marcel" wrote in
:

Hi all!
On my Canon Pro 1 (as other Canons), one can set the mode dial at
"Aperture priority" and "Shutter speed priority".
However these are designated as Av and Tv. I never remember which is
which. Can someone tell me what the Av, Tv stand for, please?

That -should- be in your manual...
And if you've lost it, such information is readily available on the
web. I would encourage you to try www.google.com.

Most folks who are *contributors* here give real answers, and in fact
several have already done so.

If you feel the need to write such chiding and churlish posts, please
do so back where you came from.

There is nothing wrong with suggesting people try a 2 second web-search
before coming on here and asking other people to do it for them.

--
http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=moosespet
Old December 11th 04, 01:06 AM
railfan

Canon has been using TV and AV on their film cameras for many years.
I'm surprised that no one mentioned it. Their instruction books
spelled it out, as previously stated:
TV - Time Value
AV - Aperture Value

Bob Boudreau
Canada

Old December 11th 04, 01:13 AM
John McWilliams

Jon Pike wrote:
John McWilliams wrote in

There is nothing wrong with suggesting people try a 2 second web-search
before coming on here and asking other people to do it for them.

Simply rudeness and unhelpfulness- that's what's wrong with your post.
Plus the OP wasn't asking anyone to Google for him or her.

--
John McWiiliams
Old December 11th 04, 01:26 AM
Jon Pike

John McWilliams wrote in news:VQrud.479265$wV.372837
@attbi_s54:

Jon Pike wrote:
John McWilliams wrote in

There is nothing wrong with suggesting people try a 2 second web-search
before coming on here and asking other people to do it for them.

Simply rudeness and unhelpfulness- that's what's wrong with your post.
Plus the OP wasn't asking anyone to Google for him or her.

I consider it rude of people to ask such very basic questions when they've
done nothing to find out for themselves.

--
http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=moosespet