Effective Speed Of Some films?

Old January 31st 05, 10:51 AM
narke

Default Effective Speed Of Some films?

Hi,

I will go a travel and want to take up some band of slides. I want to
test them for their effective speeds, but it seems that I will not get
enought time. I think many of you have already did the job, so may I
get the suggustion from you.
The list of film is:

a) Kodak E100VS ( Based on my experience, this should be ISO 140,
right?)
b) Kodak E100G
c) Fuji Astia 100 (RAP)
d) Kodak EB

Thanks

-
narke

Old February 1st 05, 12:29 AM

What are you talking about? Pro films are controlled to within 1/6 stop
of ISO. Don't worry about it.

Old February 1st 05, 11:43 AM
Keith Tapscott

Why are you using such a wide range of films? just choose one that you like
the colour rendition of and stick to it. As for your light meter settings
you have simply calibrated your exposure index for that particular film
stock and what works for you may not necessarily work for some one else.
Some people expose Fuji Velvia film at EI 32 or 40, some expose at EI64
while others find EI 50 to work best. Just use what works the best for your
own equipment and enjoy your photography.
oups.com...

Old February 1st 05, 01:34 PM
Rollei Ray From UK Rollei Ray From UK is offline
Junior Member

Location: The Rhondda Valley, Wales, United Kingdom.
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by
What are you talking about? Pro films are controlled to within 1/6 stop
of ISO. Don't worry about it.
So why do some people rate Fuji Velvia 50 at E.I. 32?

I personally rate Fuji Provia 100 (35mm) at E.I. 125 whilst rating 120 roll film at the nominal ISO100.

Surely, rated speed depends on accuracy of personal equipment?

Cheers, Ray
Old February 1st 05, 07:46 PM
Gordon Moat

narke wrote:

Hi,

I will go a travel and want to take up some band of slides. I want to
test them for their effective speeds, but it seems that I will not get
enought time. I think many of you have already did the job, so may I
get the suggustion from you.
The list of film is:

a) Kodak E100VS ( Based on my experience, this should be ISO 140,
right?)
b) Kodak E100G
c) Fuji Astia 100 (RAP)
d) Kodak EB

Thanks

Some people like a slight under or over exposure. This can also work
better in some situations for scanning or projecting transparency films,
again depending upon your equipment.

Other reasons for rating films different than the ISO indicated is due to
equipment meter error. Some people find in use that a particular setting
works better with a particular camera or light meter.

My suggestion is to bracket a roll of film of each, and figure out where
you want the settings. I use every film at the ISO on the box, unless I
am doing something unusual like push or pull settings. All my gear and
light meters are tested and calibrated, so I know the ISO settings will
be reliable.

Remember also that not all shots will be at their creative highest level
just on technical accuracy. There will be situations and scenes that will
provide more compelling images when slightly over exposed, or slightly
under exposed. Also, most modern transparency films are good for 1/2 stop
of exposure difference, and a few are good for 1 full stop difference.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old February 2nd 05, 12:49 AM
narke

When I use E100VS, I found the prefer ASA speed is 140, maybe my Contax
Arial has a meter half stop lighter than normal.

Old February 2nd 05, 07:53 PM
Gordon Moat

narke wrote:

When I use E100VS, I found the prefer ASA speed is 140, maybe my Contax
Arial has a meter half stop lighter than normal.

I use quite a bit of E100VS, and I have always had the best results right
at ISO 100. There are times that I have slightly underexposed, or
overexposed, a few frames, but I have never done so for an entire roll.

If you are not sure about your camera, then it is time to sacrifice a roll
of film for a bracket test. When you get the film processed, tell them to
leave it uncut, and unmounted, since that will make it easier to see the
results, and compare results. Start with a known steady lit scene, or one
in which you use a known flash set-up. Set the camera meter ISO to 100,
then adjust to over, even, and under expose. If your camera allows 1/3
stop changes, then start at 1 2/3 under, and go to 1 2/3 over. If your
camera allows only 1/2 stop changes, then start at 1 1/2 under, and go to
1 1/2 over. An example would be:

1 1/2, 1, 1/2, even, 1/2, 1, 1 1/2
Under ------------------------ Over

As you can see, that would be seven frames. So for a roll of 36 exposures,
you can set-up five different lighting situations. The idea is that you
will see where the camera gear does the best with exposure. Whether it is
1/2 or 1/3 steps, you will then be able to figure out an ISO adjustment
that will work for each situation. Try to vary the lighting scenes between
daylight, indoors, cloudy, and a few others like you would normally shoot.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old February 4th 05, 07:16 AM
Photobossman

Why are you using Kodak film for slides? It's no secret that most
professional photographers who shoot slide film shoot Fuji slide film.

Kodak a few years back fell a sleep and let Fuji produce a superior product.

Try and shoot a roll or two and see for yourself.

Photobossman

Old February 4th 05, 03:42 PM
Bill Tuthill

Photobossman wrote:
Why are you using Kodak film for slides? It's no secret that most
professional photographers who shoot slide film shoot Fuji slide film.
Kodak a few years back fell a sleep and let Fuji produce a superior product.

Sounds like you haven't tried Ektachrome 100G or 100GX yet.
They have better skin tones than Astia and color saturation like Provia.

Try and shoot a roll or two and see for yourself.

Presumbably you took your own advice and tried 100G. What's your verdict?

Old February 4th 05, 07:08 PM
Gordon Moat

Photobossman wrote:

Why are you using Kodak film for slides? It's no secret that most
professional photographers who shoot slide film shoot Fuji slide film.

Kodak a few years back fell a sleep and let Fuji produce a superior product.

In southern California, going by what several pro labs have told me, it is
about half and half for Kodak and Fuji E-6. I find a similar situation in
Houston, when I am there. However, it might indeed be quite different in other
locations.

There is no Fuji film with push characteristics like Kodak E200. Kodak E100VS
captures reds and yellows much more vibrant than any Fuji film. Fuji Astia 100F
has no equivalent film from Kodak. There are many more examples, but if you are
a professional, you would know that.

Try and shoot a roll or two and see for yourself.

Which is about the only sensible thing you have yet stated. Those who
understand many films characteristics will know which ones to use for what
scenes and subjects. Blindly choosing based on brand name, marketing, or
advertising, is a recipe for error.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio