Best free editing software???

Old January 25th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Anthony Ferrante

Default Best free editing software???

Is there any free programs out there that are similar to say, Paint
Shop Pro? What are considered to be the best and which one should we
avoid?

Thanks,
Anthony Ferrante

Old January 25th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles[_2_]

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pix...eephotoedw.htm

Old January 26th 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
m II

Anthony Ferrante wrote:
Is there any free programs out there that are similar to say, Paint
Shop Pro? What are considered to be the best and which one should we
avoid?

Thanks,
Anthony Ferrante

Gimp is good and is available for Windows or Linux.

For Linux, the following is also available and is getting better very
quickly.

http://www.digikam.org/

mike
Old January 26th 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

Anthony Ferrante wrote:
Is there any free programs out there that are similar to say, Paint
Shop Pro? What are considered to be the best and which one should we
avoid?

Thanks,
Anthony Ferrante

The Gimp. It runs under Windows, OSx and Linux. A little complex but
good. If you want simplicity then Picassa.
Old January 26th 08, 07:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

Anthony Ferrante wrote:
Is there any free programs out there that are similar to say, Paint
Shop Pro? What are considered to be the best and which one should we
avoid?

Thanks,
Anthony Ferrante

People speak well of PhotoFilt

http://photofiltre.free.fr/download_en.htm

I tried Gimp and found it almost impossible to use - but that was a year
or two back.

David

Old January 26th 08, 10:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Bean

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 07:29:27 GMT, "David J Taylor"

wrote:

Anthony Ferrante wrote:
Is there any free programs out there that are similar to say, Paint
Shop Pro? What are considered to be the best and which one should we
avoid?

Thanks,
Anthony Ferrante

People speak well of PhotoFilt

http://photofiltre.free.fr/download_en.htm

I tried Gimp and found it almost impossible to use - but that was a year
or two back.

I'm with you, David. Having wrestled with Gimp (I've used
Photoshop for years) I can only assume that those who
compare Gimp with PS have not actually used the latter.

I'm not criticising Gimp, it does what it does and the price
is certainly right - but a Photoshop replacement it's not.

So why did I need Gimp at all when I have PS? Easy: my
Windows XP installation recently fell apart after a couple
of years of use and I'd lost my XP CD key somewhere along
the way since my last (re)install so I temporarily installed
Ubuntu (a Linux flavour) as a stop-gap. I now have both XP
and Ubuntu on dual-boot and I'm using my squeaky-clean XP
installation only for Photography - hopefully it will last
longer! - because much to my surprise I actually prefer
Ubuntu for pretty much everything else.

If I could make Photoshop work under WINE (the Windows
emulator program for Linux) I think I'd ditch Windows
altogether; my favoured raw converter (Silkypix) works
perfectly on either OS and there are no other
photography-related programs for Windows that I couldn't
replace with an equally good Linux equivalent.

--
John Bean
Old January 26th 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill[_3_]

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:34:04 +0000, John Bean
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 07:29:27 GMT, "David J Taylor"

wrote:

Anthony Ferrante wrote:

snip

If I could make Photoshop work under WINE (the Windows
emulator program for Linux) I think I'd ditch Windows
altogether; my favoured raw converter (Silkypix) works
perfectly on either OS and there are no other
photography-related programs for Windows that I couldn't
replace with an equally good Linux equivalent.

Anthony,

I just ran into info on the latest release of Wine. It claims that
Photoshop CS2 will run under it and they are looking for testers. Link
he

http://www.winehq.org/?announce=0.9.54

Bill
Old January 26th 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave

Anthony Ferrante wrote:
Is there any free programs out there that are similar to say, Paint
Shop Pro? What are considered to be the best and which one should we
avoid?

Thanks,
Anthony Ferrante

There's a lot of freebies that are fine for most work.
Gimp
Paint.NET
Serif PhotoPlus(there's free and pay versions)
....those are layer capable but there's also simpler editors
Irfanview PhotoFiltre,Picasa,ArtRage,DogWaffle.....
for more go to:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_GRAPHICS.php

Another good place to look for freebies photo related is:
http://www.photo-freeware.net/

Dave

Old January 26th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave

Dave wrote:
Anthony Ferrante wrote:
Is there any free programs out there that are similar to say, Paint
Shop Pro? What are considered to be the best and which one should we
avoid?

Thanks,
Anthony Ferrante

There's a lot of freebies that are fine for most work.
Gimp
Paint.NET
Serif PhotoPlus(there's free and pay versions)
...those are layer capable but there's also simpler editors
Irfanview PhotoFiltre,Picasa,ArtRage,DogWaffle.....
for more go to:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_GRAPHICS.php

Another good place to look for freebies photo related is:
http://www.photo-freeware.net/

Dave

p.s. my personal favorites are Gimp(which has a love-it or hate-it rep)
and for simple edits and batch processing Irfanview

Dave