Tele Takumar 200mm f5.6

Old October 19th 05, 04:43 PM
chris

Default Tele Takumar 200mm f5.6

I am considering a 200mm telephoto for my Spotmatic
but with the high price of the 200mm f4 I'm wondering
if there is that much difference in sharpness and contrast
between it and the Tele-Tak 200/5.6. I can't seem to find
much in the way of the latter on Google. Opinions or advice
welcome.

thanks,
chris
Old October 19th 05, 07:23 PM
Jeremy

"chris" wrote in message

I am considering a 200mm telephoto for my Spotmatic
but with the high price of the 200mm f4 I'm wondering
if there is that much difference in sharpness and contrast
between it and the Tele-Tak 200/5.6. I can't seem to find
much in the way of the latter on Google. Opinions or advice
welcome.

thanks,
chris

If memory serves me correctly, the tele-Takumars preceded the
Super-Takumars, which would put them in the category of preset lenses.
There are three factors that might make you want to think twice about
obtaining one of these lenses:

1: Assuming that my memory is correct, and the lens is a preset version, you
are going to experience slower shooting because of the extra steps involved
in metering, then focusing, then manually stopping down the lens, then
shooting. The Super-Takumars were much superior in that they did not
require the manual stopping-down step. That alone would make me want to go
with the automatic lens instead of the preset.

Perhaps if you are planning to use the lens only on a tripod and are taking
photos of static objects, you could make do with the preset lens, but I
suspect you will find it to be a real pain in the butt. This is 50-year-old
technology. Sort of like a Kirby Vacuum Cleaner . . .

2: The lens design predates the Super-Takumars, which were much improved.
Asahi began competing with Zeiss in earnest when the Super Taks were
redesigned optically. Many photographers still consider them to be among
the finest lenses ever produced.

3: The older Takumars did not feature multicoating. Multicoating is
especially significant with telephoto lenses which typically have more
elements. The more air-to-glass surfaces, the greater the potential for
flare and ghosting.

Finally, consider the prices of used SMC Takumar lenses. They are nowhere
near today's prices for new lenses, their build quality is superb and their
optical performance can hold its own against all but the most expensive
lenses currently on the market. You would do better to get the 200mm SMC
Takumar lens. The amount of money saved by getting the older lens is offset
by performancepoorer .

Old October 20th 05, 02:29 PM
Tony Polson

chris wrote:

I am considering a 200mm telephoto for my Spotmatic
but with the high price of the 200mm f4 I'm wondering
if there is that much difference in sharpness and contrast
between it and the Tele-Tak 200/5.6. I can't seem to find
much in the way of the latter on Google. Opinions or advice
welcome.

What do you consider to be a high price for the 200mm f/4?

What would be a reasonable price?

Old October 21st 05, 07:38 AM
Chris Loffredo

chris wrote:
I am considering a 200mm telephoto for my Spotmatic
but with the high price of the 200mm f4 I'm wondering
if there is that much difference in sharpness and contrast
between it and the Tele-Tak 200/5.6. I can't seem to find
much in the way of the latter on Google. Opinions or advice
welcome.

thanks,
chris

Alternative:
My Pentacon Electric (=Meyer Orestegor) 200mm f/4.0 outperformed the
Super-Takumar I tested it against.