Fujifilm Ceases Production of Their Medium Format Cameras

Old November 13th 04, 02:27 AM
Jeremy

Default Fujifilm Ceases Production of Their Medium Format Cameras

From British Journal of Photography October 27:

"Fujifilm's medium exit

Last week's prediction in BJP that just two or three companies will continue
to serve the medium format market is a step nearer reality with the news
that Fujifilm has ceased production of its cameras

The admission came from Richard Linney of Fujifilm UK, recently appointed as
product manager of the newly formed Photo Imaging Group, in which the
company's professional and consumer units will now operate.

While confirming that the company has stopped manufacturing medium format
bodies, Linney said that Fujifilm is still making accessories for the GX617
and GX680 and still has stock of these models available for retail.

He added: 'The factory in Japan can still manufacture these models if there
is a large enough order.'

He was keen, however, to state that the company will be able to deal with
reburbishes of all models saying: 'We have been led to believe by Japan that
they will service the medium format range and make repairs', adding that
this may continue for seven to 10 years.

This move will be of little surprise to many as rumours have been
circulating about the demise of Fujifilm's medium format range since March
last year, when a Fujifilm spokesman admitted to BJP that it was likely that
the GA645zi, the GW670 and GW690/GSW690 models would be discontinued.

Graham Rutherford, who is shortly to retire from his position as Fujifilm's
director of professional imaging in the UK, responded at the time saying
that no decision had been made about the future of the range. He did say
though that some countries had decided to stop selling the cameras.

He added that the UK market remained healthy and hoped that plans to phase
them out would therefore be reversed. Instead, production continued to be
scaled down as Fujifilm staggered the termination of different models."

--
Unfortunately nobody can control the disruptive behavior of sociopaths who
wish to post to an unmoderated newsgroup such as this one. Informed readers,

Old November 15th 04, 08:36 AM
Stacey

Jeremy wrote:

From British Journal of Photography October 27:

"Fujifilm's medium exit

Very old news, which I'm sure pleases you to no end...

Guess you're -still- questioning your switch from film?

--

Stacey