Why Green is the Hi-Vis Safety Color

Old August 30th 19, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Default Why Green is the Hi-Vis Safety Color

It's because the human eye is most sensitive to light with a wavelength
of about 550 nanometers. Most hi-vis green-yellow reflects light
between about 550 to 555 nanometers.

Someone remarked that this is not a "natural" color. Of course it is;
all colors are natural. Some are rarer than others in nature. Many
green plants reflect light at around 550 nanometers.

At night "hi-vis" green is gray, like all other colors. That's what the
glass beads are for: to reflect maximum light from a safety garment.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old August 31st 19, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray carter

On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 18:58:52 -0400, Davoud wrote:

It's because the human eye is most sensitive to light with a wavelength
of about 550 nanometers. Most hi-vis green-yellow reflects light between
about 550 to 555 nanometers.

Someone remarked that this is not a "natural" color. Of course it is;
all colors are natural. Some are rarer than others in nature. Many green
plants reflect light at around 550 nanometers.

At night "hi-vis" green is gray, like all other colors. That's what the
glass beads are for: to reflect maximum light from a safety garment.

My understanding from a study several years ago is that white is the most
visible car color when considering all the various conditions. It's
certainly more visible at night.
Old August 31st 19, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Davoud:
It's because the human eye is most sensitive to light with a wavelength
of about 550 nanometers. Most hi-vis green-yellow reflects light between
about 550 to 555 nanometers.

Someone remarked that this is not a "natural" color. Of course it is;
all colors are natural. Some are rarer than others in nature. Many green
plants reflect light at around 550 nanometers.

At night "hi-vis" green is gray, like all other colors. That's what the
glass beads are for: to reflect maximum light from a safety garment.

ray carter:
My understanding from a study several years ago is that white is the most
visible car color when considering all the various conditions. It's
certainly more visible at night.

I think that your understanding is mistaken for the reason I stated. As
far as night is concerned, white cars and blue cars and green cars are
all the same color to the human eye: gray. If a white car has a greater
visibility at night it's because it's a lighter shade of gray.

Old August 31st 19, 10:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 31/08/2019 02.31, ray carter wrote:
On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 18:58:52 -0400, Davoud wrote:

It's because the human eye is most sensitive to light with a wavelength
of about 550 nanometers. Most hi-vis green-yellow reflects light between
about 550 to 555 nanometers.

Someone remarked that this is not a "natural" color. Of course it is;
all colors are natural. Some are rarer than others in nature. Many green
plants reflect light at around 550 nanometers.

At night "hi-vis" green is gray, like all other colors. That's what the
glass beads are for: to reflect maximum light from a safety garment.

My understanding from a study several years ago is that white is the most
visible car color when considering all the various conditions. It's
certainly more visible at night.

Yes, it reflects most light, but it is not the colour that makes the car
most distinguishable. Think snow. Yellow, or perhaps green-yellow is better.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old August 31st 19, 10:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

My understanding from a study several years ago is that white is the most
visible car color when considering all the various conditions. It's
certainly more visible at night.

Yes, it reflects most light, but it is not the colour that makes the car
most distinguishable. Think snow. Yellow, or perhaps green-yellow is better.

don't think yellow snow.
Old August 31st 19, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 23:58:52 +0100, Davoud wrote:

It's because the human eye is most sensitive to light with a wavelength
of about 550 nanometers. Most hi-vis green-yellow reflects light
between about 550 to 555 nanometers.

Someone remarked that this is not a "natural" color. Of course it is;
all colors are natural. Some are rarer than others in nature. Many
green plants reflect light at around 550 nanometers.

At night "hi-vis" green is gray, like all other colors. That's what the
glass beads are for: to reflect maximum light from a safety garment.

Most hi-vis I see is yellow actually. A google image search shows mostly yellow with some orange (which I only ever see on railways).
Old August 31st 19, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 17:01:34 +0100, Davoud wrote:

Davoud:
[...]

You really need to see an optician.
Old August 31st 19, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 01:31:15 +0100, ray carter wrote:

On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 18:58:52 -0400, Davoud wrote:

It's because the human eye is most sensitive to light with a wavelength
of about 550 nanometers. Most hi-vis green-yellow reflects light between
about 550 to 555 nanometers.

Someone remarked that this is not a "natural" color. Of course it is;
all colors are natural. Some are rarer than others in nature. Many green
plants reflect light at around 550 nanometers.

At night "hi-vis" green is gray, like all other colors. That's what the
glass beads are for: to reflect maximum light from a safety garment.

My understanding from a study several years ago is that white is the most
visible car color when considering all the various conditions. It's
certainly more visible at night.

It's more noticable because people are worried it might be a police car. They used to be easy to spot, they were the only morons with lights on during the day, now everyone's at it.
Old August 31st 19, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 22:20:53 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:

[...]

Most distinguishable is one that's the most unusual. But we seem to have gone for very few colours, due to certain dyes being a lot cheaper. Buy a new car and you have to pay extra for an unusual colour.
Old September 2nd 19, 07:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wally

On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 22:36:34 +0100, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 23:58:52 +0100, Davoud wrote:

It's because the human eye is most sensitive to light with a wavelength
of about 550 nanometers. Most hi-vis green-yellow reflects light
between about 550 to 555 nanometers.

Someone remarked that this is not a "natural" color. Of course it is;
all colors are natural. Some are rarer than others in nature. Many
green plants reflect light at around 550 nanometers.

At night "hi-vis" green is gray, like all other colors. That's what the
glass beads are for: to reflect maximum light from a safety garment.

Most hi-vis I see is yellow actually. A google image search shows mostly yellow with some orange (which I only ever see on railways).

For good visibility you need contrast. A white car in a snow storm is
a bad thing. For snow red is better. Red is all-round a great choice.
A green fire hydrant in a green lawn does not stand out. Not that
firemen will be confused for long. But red would be better if
visibility is the issue.

Barbers use red, white and blue. So does Esso. Lots of contrast and
very visible.

The idea that yellow-green is the best color for visibility is flawed
because it is contrast, not brightness or eye sensitivity, that aids
visibility.