120/220 spool/film dimensions

Old August 23rd 04, 05:01 PM
MurrayatUptown

Default 120/220 spool/film dimensions

Hello:

Does anyone know 'spec' or typical spool measurements for 120/220
film?

I measured one, and it's kind of 'ovoid', of non-circular cross
section. I am doing some calculations to scale for larger film spools.
I averaged the two different diameters.

It would seem that the film must wind 'lumpy' also.

Thanks

Murray
Old August 24th 04, 12:58 AM
RSD99

Some of the dimensions can be found at
http://medfmt.8k.com/bronfilms.html

Length: 2.466 inches
Flange Diameter: 0.990 inch
Core Diameter: 0.468 inch

At
http://www.medfmt.8k.com/mf/620.html

you can find the following:
= = = = = Begin Quote = = = = =
120 width is specified by Kodak as min. 2.41, max 2.45 inches, while 620 was
specified as 2.421 and 2.425 respectively. 120 film and paper will fit
inside the flanges of a 620 spool, since the inner flange-to-flange
dimension of both 620 and 120 is for all practical purposes identical, and
of course hundreds if not thousands of re-spoolers know that from
experience.

The the exterior flange-to-flange dimension is a different story. Here are
some caliper measurements

120, metal spool flange thickness, approximately 1.4 mm (quite variable).
Total spool length is about 65.3 to 65.5 mm.

620, metal spool flange thickness, 0.5 mm. Total spool length, about 63.7
mm.

= = = = =

om...

Old August 24th 04, 02:13 PM
MurrayatUptown

Thank you.

While on the subject...dumb question...

6x6 and 6x4.5 - are the spacings a bit more than that due to frame
separation?

I think I measured 47 mm (4.7 cm) between numbers the other day.

I'm trying to determine empirical numbers for spool diameter increase
with each frame for 4.5, 6 and 9 cm frame width, or whatever their
actual numbers are.

This is to perform film 'counting' by winding knob turns. 'Fill
factor' will be less than 100% probably due to variable tension.

Thanks

Murray

Old August 24th 04, 02:44 PM
jjs

"MurrayatUptown" wrote in message
om...

I'm trying to determine empirical numbers for spool diameter increase
with each frame for 4.5, 6 and 9 cm frame width, or whatever their
actual numbers are.

Does it work simply to measure the printed numbering on a discarded paper
backing? (I ask instead of measuring it myself ). Seriously, I can hit
the trash and measure one if you like.

Old August 24th 04, 07:14 PM
MurrayatUptown

I measured numbers on processed film...here's a laugh...I measured the
spacing of the first pair and the last pair of numbers, and I was both
impressed and puzzled how similar they were...for a few seconds...then
I realized they're supposed to be!!!

It's the number of turns that will change as the spool 'fattens up'
with film.

I guess the undeveloped film won't me much thicker than the developed
- my Agfa XPS 160 per data sheet has 18 micron (0.0007
inch)thickness...so I can just measure the thickness of film. I have a
some scrap 120 paper somewhere too...

I was just asking intead of misinterpreting what I see.

Murray

Old August 24th 04, 11:19 PM
Bob Monaghan

Hi Murray! ;-)

just a pointer, that different 120 films have different spool dimensions,
a problem which I/we uncovered and documented in
http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/spool.html

I also suspect you will find this very VERY sensitive to your starting
point when loading film. The "fix" for some Kiev and other film spacing
problems has turned out to be as simple as adding another inch or so on
the takeup spool past the arrow when first starting. Enough to be "Fatter"
around the spool than without the extra turn(s), and enough to space out
some of the film, but not enough to go off the end of the last film shot

So you may find yourself being "alice in film-spool wonderland" ;-) and
discover that Ilford is different from Fuji which is different from Kodak
spool dimensions - and they have in the past all differed, it seems ;-)

hope this helps, or at least clarifies some "got-cha's" ;-)

regards and good luck in your project

bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *