Film Camaras using 70mm: do they exist?

Old July 21st 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Max Power

Default Film Camaras using 70mm: do they exist?

Film Cameras using 70mm: do they exist? One would think that the IMAX corp
could offer some kind of cheap 70mm camera (under 40 USD) that could take
70mm pictures. Yet, this is not the case.

Old July 23rd 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Peter

Max Power wrote:
Film Cameras using 70mm: do they exist? One would think that the IMAX corp
could offer some kind of cheap 70mm camera (under 40 USD) that could take
70mm pictures. Yet, this is not the case.

There have been many still cameras that used 70mm. There were, for
example,
70mm. backs for the Graflex XL and for Linhofs (some can be used with
any
standard grafloc 4x5 back).

Old July 23rd 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Greg \_\

In article ,
"Max Power" wrote:

Film Cameras using 70mm: do they exist? One would think that the IMAX corp
could offer some kind of cheap 70mm camera (under 40 USD) that could take
70mm pictures. Yet, this is not the case.

The did but it was more a a case of after market vendors suppling backs
that adapt to a specific cameras and take long rolls of the film.
--
Reality-Is finding that perfect picture
and never looking back.

www.gregblankphoto.com
Old July 23rd 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Bob Salomon

In article ,
"Greg \"_\"" wrote:

In article ,
"Max Power" wrote:

Film Cameras using 70mm: do they exist? One would think that the IMAX corp
could offer some kind of cheap 70mm camera (under 40 USD) that could take
70mm pictures. Yet, this is not the case.

Many existed. Some, like the Linhof Aerotronika used a 100' roll. Others
like the Linhof AerTechnika 23 used a 50' rool on a NATO modified spool.
None were under $40.00. Most were over $4000.00.

One proble, should you find a 70mm camera is the small amount of film
available. Then the processing equipment required. And 70mm perforated
film and 70mm non perforated are different. And aerial film requires
different processing then non aerial emulsions.

Lastly there are 70mm movie camera and film which require different
processing again.

And what are 70mm pictures in your mind?

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old July 23rd 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Jean-David Beyer

Greg "_" wrote:
In article ,
"Max Power" wrote:

Film Cameras using 70mm: do they exist? One would think that the IMAX corp
could offer some kind of cheap 70mm camera (under 40 USD) that could take
70mm pictures. Yet, this is not the case.

The did but it was more a a case of after market vendors suppling backs
that adapt to a specific cameras and take long rolls of the film.

Did not Hasselblad supply 70mm backs for their camerae? Perhaps they still do.

^^-^^ 16:40:01 up 2 days, 23:18, 3 users, load average: 4.17, 4.16, 4.11
Old July 23rd 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

Max Power spake thus:

Film Cameras using 70mm: do they exist? One would think that the IMAX corp
could offer some kind of cheap 70mm camera (under 40 USD) that could take
70mm pictures. Yet, this is not the case.

I'm pretty sure my old Kodak No. 2A Folding Cartridge Hawk-Eye would
take 70mm, which is the same width* as the 616 film this camera was made
for. I'd love to get some to try it out, without having to buy a 100'
roll or whatever.

But I'm curious: what would lead you to believe that Imax would be
interested in making a $40 camera? Just to use up surpluses of Imax film?

* Not exactly the same width, but near enough to be never mind.

--
I think someone should unplug the entire Internet and let us start
all over again. This time, make sure that Sergey Brin, Larry Page,

- Daniel Brandt, on Wikipedia Review (http://wikipediareview.com)

Old July 28th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Michael Benveniste

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 11:40:04 -0400, Bob Salomon
wrote:

And aerial film requires different processing then non aerial
emulsions.

It depends on the aerial film in question. I have a 70mm back
for my Pentax 645, and I've gotten very good results using Agfa
Aviphot N400 with standard C-41 processing.

That being said, the pickings for fresh 70mm perforated film have
gotten very slim indeed.

--
Michael Benveniste --
Old August 3rd 06, 06:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
joe mama

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message

Did not Hasselblad supply 70mm backs for their camerae? Perhaps they still
do.

Hassleblad supplied not only a back, but also the cameras that the
astronauts used to document their trips. all in 70mm. there's a book out now
that showcases the work done by the apollo astronauts. it is very good
viewing. i forget the name though!

some of the images are incredibly long panos that are stitched together.
remarkable stuff.