Dust on sensor, Sensor Brush = hogwash solution?

Old February 11th 05, 06:55 PM
Scott Belyea

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:58:56 -0800, MeMe wrote:

Jason P. wrote:
Hahaha... Canada is the second largest country on the face of the
planet! That's like saying "You're from the USA... you must be
working for NASA".

Not quite. Canada's large land mass has nothing to do with its small
population of 25 million people.

snip

Well ... in the interest of accuracy, between 32-33 million, actually.

And not all of us are small. :-)

Scott B

Old February 12th 05, 09:19 AM
MB

I have a D70. I've read the various blurbs, advertising and otherwise,
about cleaning the "sensor." With several decades of experience in cleaning
rooms and objects of various sizes, I'd like to suggest that "removing" dust
by blowing it around with a bulb or brush is not effective in the long run.

Having read Nikon's advice and that of those selling swabs, fluids,
etc., I'd be very interested to know what the low-pass filter is made of--
synthetic, glass or what? Fact is, if you attempt to take the job on
yourself, what you're swabbing is the filter, not the CCD.

Old February 12th 05, 02:23 PM
Bart van der Wolf

"MB" wrote in message
SNIP
Having read Nikon's advice and that of those selling swabs, fluids,
etc., I'd be very interested to know what the low-pass filter is
made of-- synthetic, glass or what? Fact is, if you attempt to take
the job on yourself, what you're swabbing is the filter, not the
CCD.

This is an example of a Canon multilayer low-pass filter:
http://www.canon.com/technology/deta...ter/index.html
Although they don't specify the material used, it is possibly Lithium
Niobate.

The swabbing/brushing will take place on the dichroic mirror coating
on the IR absorption glass.

Bart

Old February 12th 05, 04:51 PM
MeMe

Bart van der Wolf wrote:

"MB" wrote in message
SNIP

Having read Nikon's advice and that of those selling swabs, fluids,
etc., I'd be very interested to know what the low-pass filter is made
of-- synthetic, glass or what? Fact is, if you attempt to take the
job on yourself, what you're swabbing is the filter, not the CCD.

This is an example of a Canon multilayer low-pass filter:
http://www.canon.com/technology/deta...ter/index.html
Although they don't specify the material used, it is possibly Lithium
Niobate.

The swabbing/brushing will take place on the dichroic mirror coating on
the IR absorption glass.

Bart

Thanks, this gets to the heart of the matter. The nylon brush hairs will
be touching a dielectric coated interference mirror. Read about them
here http://optics.unaxis.com/en/Dichro_548.asp (attached pdf there is
good).

The manufacturers claim that such mirrors have the "highest scratch and
mechanical resistance" and are made, inter alia, of "heat resistant
borosilicate glass". I'm not sure if this is the exact sort of dichroic
mirror on the typical dSLR sensor, but if it is, the concerns so far
voiced by people like the Canuck "Jason P" seem absurd.