Solution to dust causing spots in Nikon D70 ?

Old November 9th 04, 08:33 PM
Dan DeConinck of PixelSmart

Default Solution to dust causing spots in Nikon D70 ?

Hello,

Is there a method to clean dust off the CCD filter in the Nikon D70?

I assume there is dust here which is responsible for the spots in my images.

Thanks
Dan

Old November 9th 04, 08:50 PM
Bill Hilton

From: "Dan DeConinck of PixelSmart"

Is there a method to clean dust off the CCD filter in the Nikon D70?

This describes the ever popular 'swab with Eclipse' method (which I use, as do
most people I know) ...

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning ... or
http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/ ... both are trying to sell you a swab
stick, I've used the Copper Hill one and it works fine but if you want to try
to make your own from a Wendy's butter knife try this site ...
http://www.birdsasart.com/bn134.htm

This site has a rundown of various techniques, though they conclude the swab
method is likely your best bet ...

http://www.photo.net/equipment/digital/sensorcleaning/

This is a relatively new product with great potential, I hope ... I'm going to
try it soon.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...ble-dust.shtml

The D70 and Canon 10D sized sensors aren't too bad, be glad you don't have a
full-frame sensor like the Canon 1Ds or the Kodak 14n/c ... these seem to
attract dust about 10x as often.

Be careful, take your time and you'll be able to get the spots out.

Bill

Old November 9th 04, 08:50 PM
Bill Hilton

Old November 9th 04, 09:26 PM
Owamanga

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:33:44 -0500, "Dan DeConinck of PixelSmart"
wrote:

Hello,

Is there a method to clean dust off the CCD filter in the Nikon D70?

I assume there is dust here which is responsible for the spots in my images.

I got hold of those disposable pull-away visor-screens that F1 racers
use to prevent dead-fly build-up. Cut up into small squares and cover
the CCD sensor with 4 or 5 layers and whenever you see dust, just rip
the top layer off, exposing the fresh dust-free layer underneath.
Custom white level needs +0.8% blue to compensate for the slight color
shift.

Here's another tip, if you ever get vomit on the sensor, apparently
vodka works well to clean it up.

--
Owamanga!
Old November 9th 04, 09:34 PM
Joseph Meehan

Dan DeConinck of PixelSmart wrote:
Hello,

Is there a method to clean dust off the CCD filter in the Nikon D70?

I assume there is dust here which is responsible for the spots in my
images.

Thanks
Dan

I suggest you post your question in rec.photo.digital or another digital
newsgroup. You should find more people there to help. This NG is for film
equipment.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old November 10th 04, 10:00 AM
DALLAS

wrote:

Hello,

Is there a method to clean dust off the CCD filter in the Nikon D70?

I assume there is dust here which is responsible for the spots in my
images.

I got hold of those disposable pull-away visor-screens that F1 racers
use to prevent dead-fly build-up. Cut up into small squares and cover
the CCD sensor with 4 or 5 layers and whenever you see dust, just rip
the top layer off, exposing the fresh dust-free layer underneath. Custom
white level needs +0.8% blue to compensate for the slight color shift.

Here's another tip, if you ever get vomit on the sensor, apparently
vodka works well to clean it up.

For a moment I thought you were being serious about the tear-off strips!

I can't understand how people are managing to get dust spots on their
sensors. Do they walk around with the bulb setting open all the time??? I
have had a Canon D30, D0 and now a Nikon D70 and have yet to have any
problems with dust on the sensor.

Old November 10th 04, 01:42 PM
Skip M

news

wrote:

[...]

My 20D was SHIPPED with dust on the sensor that has resisted all attempts to
clean it. I've had my D30 for over a year, bought used, and there is no
dust on the sensor.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old November 10th 04, 02:29 PM
Owamanga

wrote:

[...]

I'd love to be at Nikon HQ when they receive a warrantee repair. "Hmm,
someone seems to have stuffed bits of a F1 crash helmet into their
D70."

Luckily there are people like Bill Hilton who answer these questions
seriously.

I'd be interested to know how they are doing this too.
Are they changing lenses more often than normal?
Live in LA or near the Sierra desert?
Do they never vacuum or change their air-con filters?
Do they bathe frequently or are they Pigpen from Charlie Brown?
Do they shuffle their feet and build up excess static?

We'll probably never know.

Anyway, I recommend they collect all the dust and fluff from the
sensor and save it all in a plastic bag. When they have enough they
can send it to Africa where people stuff pillows for the poor.

--
Owamanga!