Some Comments for U.

Old February 14th 12, 12:41 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

Default Some Comments for U.

My take on the latest gallery in the World Famous Shoot-In, now under
new management. As always, take these comments with a grain of salt.
you may find this hard to believe, but I have no artistic education or
training. Come to think of it, I have no business offering comments at
all. But, as always, I won't let that stop me.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141447562
Under the cover of darkness? Nice nocturnal street scene, but I don't
get the U connection. Maybe the general shape of U formed by the sky?
Unlearning the rules?

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141444612
Damned fine picture of trash. Nails Ugly and nails the mandate. You
can smell the garbage from here. Bonus points for including a photo
that's suitable for next month's mandate, as well. I hate seagulls.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141444613
Nice arrangement of Umbrellas, and thank you for not going all
Rockwell on us with the saturation. I submitted a picture of
Umbrellas, but mine are, well, closed.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141444614
I can't figure out what that shadow is on the right side of the
Umbrella. Is that coming from inside or outside? I'm guessing outside
and it's an adjacent Umbrella. Nice take in the sunflower.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141444616
Actually my favorite of the Umbrella series, even though I'm a dog
person. Nicely done.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141444617
Love the colors against the sky! And I'm glad I wasn't the only one to
submit a picture of Underwear. Men's or women's? Both?

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141444618
Underpass. Dark. Want more shadow detail. Maybe a little more of a
crop to the Underpass, as well.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141444620
Upper Duck Creek Rd. Gotcha. Nice composition, and a well hidden
shooter's shadow, to boot. I like it. Where is this road? When was
this taken? Looks to warm and green to be Massachusetts, that's fer
sher.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141444622
Umbrellas in Key West, but down due to the wind. I figured someone
would send in a few Umbrella pics, so I thought I'd shoot some that
were down instead of up. Plus, I liked the colors. Taken near Mallory
Square.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141444623
A Unicyclist performing at the sunset celebration in Mallory Sq, Key
West. In this shot he was trying to catch his hat on his foot without
killing himself. He missed the hat on this attempt, but did survive.
This is a cropped fisheye shot, which explains the bends.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141444624
Underpants. Somehow, in Key West, this all seems perfectly normal.
Then again, maybe it's just a dog in baggies.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141444625
OK, it's a little soft, but really, how many of you thought of
shooting a pic of Udders? Bonus points for someone finally sending a
pic of some big teets.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141444626
Hmmm.....
I had no idea these were called "U" couplings. And I can see why. I
like the blue against the rusty steel. Nice colors.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141444627
U for ewe. Finally, someone sends a punography entry. This U needs
shearing, I believe.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141461483
Man, if this is what Diogenes looked like, the last thing he'd want to
find is an honest man. Ugly, fer sher. But can we be sure this is
Diogenes? Looks pretty afro to me, but what do I know?

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141461566
Damn. A Urine test for greyhounds? Really? Look, if they couldn't
catch Lance, maybe they can have better succes on a few pooches.
Colors are a little Rockwell, maybe a little HDR thrown in, but a very
interesting shot. I had no idea. Maybe this is why dog racing is
banned in Massachusetts.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141461567
I love it! Truly an uncluttered dash, but really, only 864.8 miles on
a 1930 Ford Model A? I'm skeptical. Nicely done.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141461568
I was wondering if anyone would send in an Underwater photo, and here
we are, sort of. But since it's the only Underwater photo, kudos.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141444630
Nice colors! An Umbrella, obvously, but a nice combination of red and
blue, with a nice transition between the two. Nicely lit.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141444629
Another Umbrella, more good colors. The composition suits the colors;
works well for me.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141444628
Utensils. I didn't think of this. You know what would have been nice?
A reflection of an Umbrella in the Utensils. Did you light these three
shots with strobe Umbrellas?

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141461570
Ah, the letter U, formed by a couple of boids (no idea what kind). How
did you get them to pose like that? Well done!

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141494897
Another U boid! Clever, but it must have taken hours to get the boid
to pose. Is it me or is this noisy for ISO 800?

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141461571
Ugly? Nah. Cool eye! But, if you look closely, there are lots of litle
U's in the patterns of the skin. Well placed eye, good color.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141461657
Nice shot, but where's the U connection? I'm not very smart, so I need
a bit of help. Unwound, maybe? Ah. Unassembled.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141494899
Wide load? Under load? Under stress? Unbelievably heavy? Nice shot,
but what's your connection to U? Up in the air? Help me out here.

Old February 15th 12, 01:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 2/13/2012 7:41 PM, Bowser wrote:
My take on the latest gallery in the World Famous Shoot-In, now under
new management. As always, take these comments with a grain of salt.
you may find this hard to believe, but I have no artistic education or
training. Come to think of it, I have no business offering comments at
all. But, as always, I won't let that stop me.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141461570
Ah, the letter U, formed by a couple of boids (no idea what kind). How
did you get them to pose like that? Well done!

thanks. I promised the egrets some fish if they did that. And if they
didn't I told them I knew how to make Peking egret

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141494897
Another U boid! Clever, but it must have taken hours to get the boid
to pose. Is it me or is this noisy for ISO 800?

Some geese will do anything for a few grains of rice.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141461571
Ugly? Nah. Cool eye! But, if you look closely, there are lots of litle
U's in the patterns of the skin. Well placed eye, good color.

Well, if u drop the B from buzzard, it starts with U. It has a face
only a mother would love.

--
Peter
Old February 18th 12, 05:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-13 19:41 , Bowser wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141444630
Nice colors! An Umbrella, obvously, but a nice combination of red and
blue, with a nice transition between the two. Nicely lit.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141444629
Another Umbrella, more good colors. The composition suits the colors;
works well for me.

Thanks.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141444628
Utensils. I didn't think of this. You know what would have been nice?
A reflection of an Umbrella in the Utensils. Did you light these three
shots with strobe Umbrellas?

Yes. I tried various ways to get a good reflection of the umbrellas in
there, but didn't come up with anything remotely satisfying. I've
deleted them too. I did take some interesting photos of utensils in San
Andres a couple years ago. The outdoor lunch tent had a blue cloth
roof. The colour in the utensils was interesting.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Photo...jpg?w=34d97c7d

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Photo...jpg?w=44c59dc3

--
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."
Douglas Adams - (Could have been a GPS engineer).
Old February 18th 12, 05:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-02-18 09:06:08 -0800, Alan Browne

On 2012-02-13 19:41 , Bowser wrote:

[...]

It

seems you posted two locked non-public url's.

Savageduck

Old February 18th 12, 05:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-18 09:06:08 -0800, Alan Browne

On 2012-02-13 19:41 , Bowser wrote:

[...]

Oh. New to actually using Dropbox. Wait a mo.

Old February 18th 12, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-18 09:06:08 -0800, Alan Browne

He http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/62816810/1/Utes?h=450b28

Old February 18th 12, 05:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-02-18 09:17:47 -0800, Alan Browne

On 2012-02-18 09:06:08 -0800, Alan Browne

On 2012-02-13 19:41 , Bowser wrote:

[...]

Yup! That worked.
Interesting light effect.

Savageduck

Old February 18th 12, 07:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 2012-02-18 09:06:08 -0800, Alan Browne

On 2012-02-13 19:41 , Bowser wrote:

[...]

I tried removing the blue cast:

http://peternewman.smugmug.com/Other/public/21526966_dVBkNG#!i=1716175598&k=BqqMJKb

--
Peter
Old February 18th 12, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-18 14:20 , tony cooper wrote:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 12:17:47 -0500, Alan Browne

On 2012-02-18 09:06:08 -0800, Alan Browne

On 2012-02-13 19:41 , Bowser wrote:

[...]

For years I've been collecting sterling silver "utensils" ("flatware"
to me),

For the mandate.

In French the word is "Ustensils" so using the English "utensils" is
more common in Frenglish here in Quebec.

I only call it flatware when I have to dig it out and polish it which I
don't do. There is a pile of silver flatware her and it needs a lot of
polishing. Maybe I'll photograph a bit of it for your opinion.)

as you call them, and other sterling dinnerware items. A few
years ago I started selling off my collection on eBay.

I recall your very nicely done photos.

They are a bitch to photograph...especially spoons. The bowl of the
spoon reflects the surroundings and the camera's lens. I used a
home-made light box made from a translucent lampshade with a
translucent sheet of plastic over the top and a hole cut in it for the
lens. It was also hard get a good image of the sterling maker's mark
since the camera I had then didn't have good macro ability.

Curved, reflective surfaces are always a photographic opportunity. But
they do catch everything wildly outside the field and that gives more
headache than opportunity in most cases.

Macro lenses are a must for 'marks' and such as well as to pick up
detail in the patina.

Old February 18th 12, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Bowser wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/141494899
Wide load? Under load? Under stress? Unbelievably heavy? Nice shot,
but what's your connection to U? Up in the air? Help me out here.

Up in the air :-)