digital MP filesize vs output

Old October 26th 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
- Bobb -

Default digital MP filesize vs output

I've been reading online for a simple answer to this and cannot find it:
any advice/pointers ?
Perhaps this is obvious to everyone here, but to JUST take a photo and
print it on 4x6 - and SEE all of the original photo, what's the trick ?
Other than selecting my now new setting of "2mp 2x3 "

I've got SIMPLE digital cameras ( Kodak, Sony) and until now didn't want
to print any 4x6's , but now that I do want to do it, I noticed that the
pictures were clipped. I started looking at settings.
I normally save in 5.0 MP mode - thinking that I'll not print anything
that large, but 'better to have it too big than not big enough ' ( no
comments) Camera goes to 8MP but not printing anything large.

BUT, my cameras have been saving pix in 4x3 aspect ratio ( like ...
800x600 or 1024x768 - designed for Monitors - not paper) , so when I print
on 4x6 paper , it gets clipped. I MANUALLY went in and modified them to be
88% of saved size and now = correct ratio, but got me thinking/ looking at
camera options.
The ONLY setting that is in 3x2 ratio ( or 2x3) is 2MP mode.
At Microsoft I found a program to resize via right-click on filename, but
still same ( wrong ?) aspect ratio.

After researching I see that, in my head, I was confusing DPI with PPI -
so the concept was distorted.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...mera-pixel.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...stquality.mspx

http://www.scrapjazz.com/topics/Phot...graphy/413.php
Here I see a chart - recommendations of
Image size to Photo size
but shows
Photo size as 4x3 ratio , yet print as 2x3 ratio etc
I'm " not getting it".
Anyone have any URL's that better explain how to take a photo and have it
print ALL of what I see if I load it on monitor ?
Thanks

Old October 26th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G[_2_]

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
I've been reading online for a simple answer to this and cannot find it:
any advice/pointers ?

Hi.

There is no really easy answer.

Your camera takes pictures in 4 x 3 aspect ratio.

The paper is 6 x 4 aspect ratio.

If you enlarge your image so that the long side is 6 inches the short sides
will be 4.5 inches. Print that onto 6 x 4 paper and you lose a half inch of
image.

If you enlarge your image so that the short side is 4 inches, then the long
side will be around 5.3 inches, so you will have roughly half an inch of
white paper showing at either end.

You have to choose which way you want to go.

This is not a new problem, and has applied since the very early days of film
cameras. Paper ratios practically never match image ratios.

Roy G

Old October 26th 08, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

- Bobb - wrote:

Photo size as 4x3 ratio , yet print as 2x3 ratio etc
I'm " not getting it".

What Roy G said...

What I find imensely frustrating is that in the film days I could get
12x8" prints for my 36x24mm negatives or slides.

Today, I cannot get 12x8" printer paper for my printer...

I usually print with white space and then matte or cut, but it would be
nice to have 12x8" paper ... or easy to find 24x16" paper.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old October 26th 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
- Bobb -

"Roy G" wrote in message

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
I've been reading online for a simple answer to this and cannot find
it: any advice/pointers ?

Hi.

There is no really easy answer.

Your camera takes pictures in 4 x 3 aspect ratio.
The paper is 6 x 4 aspect ratio.
You have to choose which way you want to go.
This is not a new problem, and has applied since the very early days of
film cameras. Paper ratios practically never match image ratios.

Roy G

I'm not being a wise-guy , but is there a reason for that ?
I can't imagine that ... way back when , someone said - I've developed a
(digital) camera that uses 4x3 aspect ratio , but let's NOT make paper for
it ? At CVS they have several Kodak kiosks - none have paper for 4x3 .
They make money from film,paper .... but do not want to make paper to fit
every digital camera in the world ??? Strange.

I had these photos developed at CVS and on the sleeve in the store ( to
insert cd to order prints), there IS a check off box for 6x8 ( which would
work for the 4x3), but they don't have a price for it / use it.
I asked at the time "why is it on the package?" - clerk didn't know.
I ordered thinking that their computer would scale info. I didn't know how
, but that's what I thought I was getting.
SO I just picked up 75 pictures that have some part of photo missing. A
lot of scenery so some look dumb- distant trees with no trunks One is of a
sign and the bottom row of letters from sign is missing, so upper part
makes no sense...
I can/will use the 3:2 ratio setting on my cameras now, but now realize I
can't print all of the photos I've ever taken AND have them look right ?
That's very weird.

Old October 26th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

"- Bobb -" wrote:
Perhaps this is obvious to everyone here, but to JUST take a photo and
print it on 4x6 - and SEE all of the original photo, what's the trick ?

Very simple: you need a camera with an aspect ratio of 1:1.5.

I've got SIMPLE digital cameras ( Kodak, Sony) and until now didn't want
to print any 4x6's , but now that I do want to do it, I noticed that the
pictures were clipped.

There are three options for photos with non-matching aspect ratios :
- clip/crop those edges, that extend beyond the desired ratio.
- fill in those areas, that don't extend to the desired ratio (aka
letter boxing)
- distort the photo by stretching it to match the new aspect ratio

There simply are no other options to fit a square peg into a round hole.

jue
Old October 26th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

Alan Browne wrote:
Today, I cannot get 12x8" printer paper for my printer...

That's 203x305mm. A4 is 210×297mm. Would that be close enough?

jue
Old October 26th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

- Bobb - wrote:
"Roy G" wrote in message

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
[...]

The standard photo print sizes were established long, long before
there was such a thing as a digital camera.

[...]

There's a reason that professional photographers don't print right out
of the camera. Use Photoshop Elements or whatever other software you
choose to edit the image to the format you need before you send it out
to print.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old October 26th 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_7_]

J. Clarke wrote:
[]
There's a reason that professional photographers don't print right out
of the camera. Use Photoshop Elements or whatever other software you
choose to edit the image to the format you need before you send it out
to print.

... although as an amateur who took slides, rather than prints, in the
pre-digital age, I still try to get the image right in the camera, and
without post-processing. This minimises the work, as, well, and allows
you to concentrate your post-processing time on images which really need
it.

Cheers,
David

Old October 26th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Keith nuttle

J. Clarke wrote:
- Bobb - wrote:
"Roy G" wrote in message
"- Bobb -" wrote in message
[...]

Why do you have to print to the standard sizes? Those standards were
create based on 70 year old technology.

I print pictures for family and print them on the standard letter size
photo paper and cut them apart. I have maximized the digital format so
I get the four of the largest size possible of in the digital ratio on
the letter size paper. Depending on margins required by the printer you
can get -- 5 X 3.8 inch pictures per letter size page

Old October 27th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G[_2_]

"- Bobb -" wrote in message

"Roy G" wrote in message

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
I've been reading online for a simple answer to this and cannot find it:
any advice/pointers ?

Hi.

There is no really easy answer.

Your camera takes pictures in 4 x 3 aspect ratio.
The paper is 6 x 4 aspect ratio.
You have to choose which way you want to go.
This is not a new problem, and has applied since the very early days of
film cameras. Paper ratios practically never match image ratios.

Roy G

I'm not being a wise-guy , but is there a reason for that ?
I can't imagine that ... way back when , someone said - I've developed a
(digital) camera that uses 4x3 aspect ratio , but let's NOT make paper for
it ?

If you had actually read my response you would have seen that I said, it has
applied since the very early days of FILM Cameras, and I believe even in the
days when cameras used glass plates.

There have always been a variety of image ratios, and still are.

P & S tend to be 4 x 3, DSLRs tend to be 3 x 2, and there are probably
other ratios among the large format professional cameras, (but since I am
never going to have over £30k to spend on one I don't really know or care).

If you look at paper sizes you will see a variety of ratios which might
match some image ratios, but not all.

What I have always said is that there are very few images which won't be
improved by some judicious cropping.

Roy G