suggestions on upgrading to a new pc

Old August 20th 09, 07:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

Default suggestions on upgrading to a new pc

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 17:46:26 +0100, Chris H wrote:

In message , ray
writes
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 10:27:20 +0100, Chris H wrote:

In message , Bob Larter
writes
Ray Fischer wrote:
ray wrote:
On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 16:40:04 -0700, wrote:

looking for some input/suggestions on buying new pc.

im shooting with the 5d mark II ,raw files are big around 25 the
mb region
my current specs are below .

machine is slowing a bit around 1 1/2 yr old looking to upgrade to
a new one .

INTEL PENTIUM 4 3.20 GHZ
NVDIA GEFORCE 7800 GS
200 GG HD ATA
4 GB RAM
WINDOWS XP PRO
GATEWAY 24 IN HD MONITOR
calabrated with the xrite pro
Problem is not with the machine - problem is with the OS. You keep
mucking with MS it's going to keep running slower from the day you
install. Suggest you try Linux instead -
And using the computer will be slower from day one because you'll
have
to spend more time taking care of the OS.

With Linux? Are you kidding? One of the biggest advantages of Linux
over Windows is that you're not having to constantly tweak stuff to
keep it running at 100% efficiency.

So Linux has an autoupdate facility like Windows and OSX?

Who do you call for support on the particular version of linux you are
suggesting? I assume there is telephone support?

If you buy a commercial version, there certainly is.

Exactly. If I buy a PC it has windows on it for "free" so I have to buy
another OS and then get the same support as I did for the windows.

If you believe that, I've got some nice swamp land I can sell you in
Arizona. The MS which is preinstalled on most computers is far from free.
That is why it is possible to get a refund if you don't use it.

BTW I am in the UK is there a LOCAL UK (or any other country)number for
Redhat?

My computer has a local/UK number for support.

If you don't, there
are plenty of usenet groups

Problem is I can't get on line... (btw I have seen this problem where a
friend had to ask for help)

- generally they will help you sort out any
obsucre problems that might cropy up (though they generally don't) very
quickly

That is no always the case.

- much more expeditiously than MS help.

Not in my experience.

Ah, but it is mine.
Old August 20th 09, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 17:59:21 +0100, Chris H wrote:

In message , ray
writes
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 12:19:43 -0400, nospam wrote:

In article , ray
wrote:

Yeah. Great idea. Using Linux you won't have to stoop to using
second- rate image editing software like, oh, PhotoShop, Aperture,
Lightroom ... and the software that comes with your camera.

Briiiiiilliant.

I see you have not tried Linux recently and have no idea what is
available.

i see you haven't tried any of the listed applications. hint: nothing
on linux comes close.

One absolute undeniable advantage of Linux. You can try it out and SEE
if it meets your needs with minimal investment. An install will take
about 20 minutes and an outlay of $0 cash.

How do I do that? I will either need a spare PC or remove windows from
my current PC, and then be able to put Windows and all the app back
again. That is either a lot of cost or a lot of time.

You don't need either. You can load and run a Linux Live CD without
making any alterations at all. It will boot and run from the Live CD/DVD.
You can do anything you would do if it were installed - albeit a little
slower.

You can also do a simple dual boot. Modern Linux distributions will
detect the presence of other OSs and automatically set up the dual/multi
boot for you, if that is what you want. No need to remove anything.
Old August 20th 09, 07:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 17:56:18 +0100, Chris H wrote:

In message ,
Giftzwerg writes
In article , says...

Problem is not with the machine - problem is with the OS. You keep
mucking with MS it's going to keep running slower from the day you
install. Suggest you try Linux instead - the performance will probably
be batter than you've seen with MS and it won't deteriorate.

Yeah. Great idea. Using Linux you won't have to stoop to using second-
rate image editing software like, oh, PhotoShop, Aperture, Lightroom ...
and the software that comes with your camera.

Briiiiiilliant.

In another thread some one said they could not use Nikon because their
Sw did not support Linux... Now that is taking religion too far. Basing
which photographic equipment to use on a computer OS!

As near as I can ascertain, that thread was inaccurate. I have downloaded
and processed images from the same camera model on Linux without
difficulty. And yes, I do indeed buy things that will work with my
present system rather than buy a new one because of some obscure
peripheral. Even if what you said were true, would it make sense to buy a
new computer with MS in order to process data from the camera you just
bought? It would make more sense to me to buy one that would work with
what I already have.
Old August 20th 09, 08:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
l v

Chris H wrote:

BTW Linux is not an OS but a generic name for over 1000 different
versions of a base system. Versions of Linux come and go all the time.
Redhat and suse are two of the very few long stayers. Ubunto has not
been around long enough yet. I recall others that were going to save the
world a decade ago that are long gone.

More accurate to say that Linux is a flavor of unix?

--
Len

Posts from Google Groups are filtered by the country of origin.
Posts from Name-shifter are filtered regardless of account.
Reply's to Name-shifter are filtered as well.
Old August 20th 09, 08:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , ray
wrote:

i see you haven't tried any of the listed applications. hint: nothing
on linux comes close.

One absolute undeniable advantage of Linux. You can try it out and SEE
if it meets your needs with minimal investment. An install will take
about 20 minutes and an outlay of $0 cash.

How do I do that? I will either need a spare PC or remove windows from
my current PC, and then be able to put Windows and all the app back
again. That is either a lot of cost or a lot of time.

You don't need either. You can load and run a Linux Live CD without
making any alterations at all. It will boot and run from the Live CD/DVD.
You can do anything you would do if it were installed - albeit a little
slower.

and then what? ooh and ah over just the os?

how do you tell if the available linux software is any good? or does
this cd have all linux software somehow installed?
Old August 20th 09, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

nospam wrote:
In article , ray
wrote:

i see you haven't tried any of the listed applications. hint: nothing
on linux comes close.

One absolute undeniable advantage of Linux. You can try it out and SEE
if it meets your needs with minimal investment. An install will take
about 20 minutes and an outlay of $0 cash.

How do I do that? I will either need a spare PC or remove windows from
my current PC, and then be able to put Windows and all the app back
again. That is either a lot of cost or a lot of time.

You don't need either. You can load and run a Linux Live CD without
making any alterations at all. It will boot and run from the Live CD/DVD.

Either that or just do a parallel install of Linux next to your existing
(or future) Windows system. All you need is some free disk space.
All Linux installations I know of come with partitioning tools and
multi-OS boot loaders. Also handy if you want to run different Windows
versions on the same computer.

And if you don't want to create a new partition, then some distributions
even support installation in a sub-directory of an existing Windows
partition with NTFS file system, although that imposes some limitations
for certain FS functions.

jue
Old August 20th 09, 08:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

Chris H wrote:
BTW Linux is not an OS but a generic name for over 1000 different
versions of a base system. Versions of Linux come and go all the time.
Redhat and suse are two of the very few long stayers. Ubunto has not
been around long enough yet. I recall others that were going to save the
world a decade ago that are long gone.

Actually no. Linux is the kernel. At any given time there are only two
development lines for the kernel, a stable version and an experimental
version.

What you call "versions of Linux" are different distributions which
include a kernel and lots and lots of a wide variety of applications.
Only the latter vary from distribution to distribution, the kernel is
the same in all of them(*).

jue

*: well, of course some distributions use newer kernel while other
include older kernel, but they are all from the same development path.