This is a strange (but helpful) newsgroup

Old July 27th 09, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
OH the idiots!

Default This is a strange (but helpful) newsgroup

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 05:54:48 +1000, "Pete D" wrote:

"rwalker" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 08:53:29 -0700, John McWilliams
wrote:

snip

We don't. Just a handful, and of that group, a couple who changed their
posting handle at the drop of a kill file.

I always wonder about the name-shifters. Is it really so important to
them to be heard by people who don't want to hear them that they have
to dodge kill files? Quite an odd psychology behind that behavior.

Very odd indeed, it is a sickness but hey what are you going to do they keep
us amused. :-)

It's how some people put up with the lame advice handed out in these
newsgroup. By making all the resident-trolls jump around, going so far as
to invent and perpetuate threads just like this one. That's all they're
ever good for, is to poke them and watch them flopping around like chickens
with their heads cut off. Good advice isn't free. This is how you have to
pay for it. LOL

Old July 27th 09, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
l v

PatM wrote:
On Jul 27, 11:46 am, "Tom from WI" wrote:
I have been following this newsgroup for several months now and find many
helpful answers to questions. One thing I have noticed: On items I read,
most will go to about 5 - 10 postings of helpful comments and then they just
deteriorate into name calling (sometimes very vicious name calling). At that
point I just stop following the post because it usually just gets worse. It
seems that this happens much more frequently on this newsgroup than any
other newsgroup that I follow.

I wouldn'tr have thought that a photography group would have so many
angry(?) people.

Tom

This is the 10th post in this thread. Now all h*ll may break loose !!!

Took 12 posts this time. 10 must be an average.

--
Len
Old July 28th 09, 01:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Tom from WI wrote:
I follow three microsoft newsgroups and 6 other newsgroups (1 for
photoshop elements,

alt.graphics.photoshop was a zoo last time I frequented, and also very
helpful. It's really worth learning to filter. I just have the filter
pointless bickering is and I can generally advance to the next unread
message with a quick keystroke, without accidentally reading half way
through a known ranter's tirade.

2 TV oriented, 1 hardware oriented, 1 carmaker and
this one). This is the only one that has a high frequency of angry foul
language responses. But, like I said, it is very helpful sometimes.
Tom

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
Tom from WI wrote:
I have been following this newsgroup for several months now and find
many helpful answers to questions. One thing I have noticed: On items
I read, most will go to about 5 - 10 postings of helpful comments and
then they just deteriorate into name calling (sometimes very vicious
name calling). At that point I just stop following the post because
it usually just gets worse. It seems that this happens much more
frequently on this newsgroup than any other newsgroup that I follow.

I wouldn'tr have thought that a photography group would have so many
angry(?) people.

We don't. Just a handful, and of that group, a couple who changed
their posting handle at the drop of a kill file.

Are you familiar with other usenet groups where it's a lot different?
Ones that aren't a very narrow interest, that is.

--
john mcwilliams

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old July 31st 09, 03:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

:
: I wouldn'tr have thought that a photography group would have so many
: angry(?) people.
:
: We don't. Just a handful, and of that group, a couple who changed their
: posting handle at the drop of a kill file.
:
: Are you familiar with other usenet groups where it's a lot different?
: Ones that aren't a very narrow interest, that is.

If you want to see how bad it can get, drop in on sci.med.cardiology. A doctor
who was a reliable source of useful information 13 years ago when I had my
bypass operation has evolved into a gibbering, bible-thumping crackpot. He now
makes D-Mac sound like William Shakespeare.

Bob
Old July 31st 09, 03:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 11:08:28 -0500, "D. Peter Maus"
wrote:
: On 07/27/09 10:53, John McWilliams wrote:
: Tom from WI wrote:
[...]
: It's no different than the radio, antique, or the many of the
: automotive groups. Some are better than others...more civil...less
: angry, but that depends on the personalities of the most active
: members. Usually, if an new member gets mouthy, in a largely civil
: group, he/she/it gets shouted down pretty quickly. If the group
: dominated by heated members, it becomes a Three Stooges short in
: very quick order.
:
: Bear in mind that photographers are by and large an artistic
: bunch. They tend not to be quite as impervious to provocation as,
: say, mechanics. Photographers have styles, opinions, procedures that
: are as based in talent as they are in skill. The difference between
: talent and skill, is that skill does what it does through learned
: behaviours, scientific understanding, and experience.
:
: Talent does what it does by instinct. Frequently, not really
: understanding why it works.
:
: Talent tends to be a bit more defensive.
:
: Skill tends to be more reserved.
:
: Skilled talent tends to be more arrogant and dismissive. And
: that's usually where the name calling starts.
:
: The best tip I might offer, is to read what's useful, ignore
: what's not, and be amused. Be very amused.
:
:
: memberfdic.

The Mouse's opinion is a bit patronizing, but not entirely wrong. I suppose we
are a bit like he says, sort of. ;^)

Bob
Old July 31st 09, 04:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
D. Peter Maus

: Tom from WI wrote:
[...]

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old August 1st 09, 07:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_4_]

: Tom from WI wrote:
[...]

Are you talking about the infamous Andrew B. Chung?
http://www.kookpedia.net/index.php/Andrew_B._Chung

I haven't heard about, or from the "Chung" nut in years. A truly off
the wall and dangerous individual.
My understanding is, he actually lost his medical license in Georgia
due to misconduct and/or malpractice and has been raging at the World
ever since..

Savageduck

Old August 1st 09, 07:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_4_]

: Tom from WI wrote:
[...]

....and talking about Chung and other Kooks we are more familiar with in
the photo groups, here is a "Chung" tactic which "he who's nym shall go
unspoken" seems to favor.

19. What is the "Chung macro"?
------------------------------
Â* The
"Chung macro" is an approximately 4.5 kilobyte, mind-numbing
Â*
diatribe which Dr. Chung attaches as a response to any post he
Â*
doesn't like. Â*It includes Chung's unstinting praise of himself, an
Â*
advertisement for the Two Pound Diet, an disingenuous protest that
Â*
he is "only responding to a cross-post", and gratuitous slaps at
Â* all
his critics.
Â* It is called a "macro" because it can be saved and attached to a
Â*
message with a single keystroke. Usually, the content of the
Â*
original post is either "snipped" so that only Dr. Chung's diatribe
Â*
appears or the words of the original poster are modified to say
Â*
something which pleases Dr. Chung. Â*Common decency is not
Â* Dr.
Chung's concern here.
Â* When the "Chung macro" appears in a thread, it is a sure sign that
Â*
a criticism has struck home and/or Dr. Chung has run out of
Â*
arguments or anything intelligent to say. Instead he laboriously
Â* and
obsessively attaches the "Chung macro" to each and every
Â* message in
the thread. If someone responds to the "Chung macro",
Â* he attaches
the macro to the response and so on ad infinitum and
Â* ad nauseam.
Â* This generates considerable anger in the victimized newsgroups to
Â*
Dr. Chung's apparent glee. Â*Requests to stop are mocked and
Â* ignored.
Â*Eventually, people become sick of it and just stop
Â* responding: Dr.
Chung has achieved his objective of shutting down
Â* the now
objectionable thread... which was probably initiated by Mu
Â* in the
first place.
Could we have the "P&S Macro" inspired by Dr. Chung, to deal with?

Savageduck

Old August 1st 09, 02:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 14:02:41 -0400, rwalker wrote:
: On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 08:53:29 -0700, John McWilliams
: wrote:
:
: snip
:
: We don't. Just a handful, and of that group, a couple who changed their
: posting handle at the drop of a kill file.
:
: I always wonder about the name-shifters. Is it really so important to
: them to be heard by people who don't want to hear them that they have
: to dodge kill files? Quite an odd psychology behind that behavior.

Many of the kooks and misanthropes wouldn't have much of an audience if they
didn't dodge kill files. And they need an audience like fleas need a dog.

Bob
Old August 1st 09, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Savageduck wrote:

the "Chung macro"

deja vu!