Least useful accessory products for photography.

Old February 5th 09, 07:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default Least useful accessory products for photography.

Annika1980 wrote:
On Feb 4, 6:40 pm, Alan Browne
wrote:

Top of my list is the "Expodisc" - this was originally marketed to help
people nail their exposure. With the instant feedback of digital
cameras it is now marketed to help with white balance. I guess they get
good grades for a quick switch of "benefit".

Add my Gossen Digital Light Meter to the list. I need to put that one
on EBAY. Rarely used.

That doesn't make it "Least useful", it just means you don't use it.
Gossen meters are well regarded.

Also, color filters aren't needed anymore. I would like a good
variable ND filter, however.

Hear ya there.

My Canon ST-E2 Transmitter sees limited action, and will see even less

Minolta built this function into most of its SLR's and DSLR's. Canon
sucks, eh?

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old February 5th 09, 07:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Annika1980 wrote:
On Feb 4, 9:38 pm, Paul Furman wrote:
OK here's one I got, a Manfrotto Long Lens Support:http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/Product...to~productID~5...

I've used a similar arrangement by using a monopod along with a
tripod.
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/79354185

'QuadPod' TM
That looks easier to operate than the Manfrotto thing.
I've heard of folks using two tripods also, and happy with that.
'SexPod'?

The problem I had is it's not really tight, but if you tighten it (not
easy) that means you are stressing the mount, plus the action of
tightening fouls up your framing.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old February 5th 09, 07:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bruce[_4_]

"Michael Benveniste" wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote:

There are many, of course, but what are the photography products you
believe or know are most useless.

My nominees among the gear I own:
1. Cokin P-series green filter for Black and White Film.
2. Tripod mount for a Pentax 110 SLR.

My list:

1. Most Velbon tripods, because they add rather than reduce vibration.
2. A Gorillapod, because they are nowhere near as stable as claimed.
3. An "every ready" case for an SLR or DSLR, because in truth the camera
is "never ready" when you need it in a hurry.
4. Kit lenses sold with most DSLRs, especially the dreadful 18-55mm that
appears under several different brand names, because they just aren't
sharp except at f/8, and only a novice shoots everything at f/8.

Old February 5th 09, 07:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

Paul Furman wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
On Feb 4, 9:38 pm, Paul Furman wrote:
OK here's one I got, a Manfrotto Long Lens
Support:http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/Product...to~productID~5...

I've used a similar arrangement by using a monopod along with a
tripod.
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/79354185

'QuadPod' TM
That looks easier to operate than the Manfrotto thing.
I've heard of folks using two tripods also, and happy with that.
'SexPod'?

The problem I had is it's not really tight, but if you tighten it (not
easy) that means you are stressing the mount, plus the action of
tightening fouls up your framing.

I guess my tiny tripod that you can pound into the ground or a building
or tree. The times I've carried it, never touched it.i.e, totally
useless for me.

--
john mcwilliams
Old February 5th 09, 09:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ken Hart1

"tony cooper" wrote in message
snip

I was talking with a photographer today that shoots a lot of bird
pictures with a 500mm lens. Her camera is mounted on a gun stock
arrangement and she holds it like a shotgun. Some sort of release on
the stock. She described it, but I haven't seen it.

Dunno if she bought it or had it fabricated.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

I've never seen one in the flesh, but they are commercially available. The
ones I've seen have a cable release that is activated like a gun trigger.
For someone who can properly handle a rifle, I'd bet that it's a useful
accessory. But that's considering I've never used one and I shoot handgun
not rifle.

Old February 5th 09, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Miller

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

There are many, of course, but what are the photography products you
believe or know are most useless.

The lead-lined bags designed to protect your film from airport x-rays.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

Old February 6th 09, 12:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

Eric Miller wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote in message
There are many, of course, but what are the photography products you
believe or know are most useless.

The lead-lined bags designed to protect your film from airport x-rays.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

Excellent, Eric, excellent. I guess those nice Agfa aluminum containers
that I saved are almost there.

--
John McWilliiams
Old February 6th 09, 01:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

On 2009-02-04 15:40:22 -0800, Alan Browne
said:

There are many, of course, but what are the photography products you
believe or know are most useless.

Top of my list is the "Expodisc" - this was originally marketed to
help people nail their exposure. With the instant feedback of
digital cameras it is now marketed to help with white balance. I
guess they get good grades for a quick switch of "benefit".

Second would be the little add on widget for the monitor on DSLR's to
shade them from the sun (and I fell for that one). What really
counts is what shirt or jacket you're wearing: all white - you can't
see the screen.

All the thick padding in most camera bags (Lowe is one of the worst
offenders) adds little protection and a lot of weight while greatly
reducing bag capacity.

I have two Lowepro bags and I sold a new condition Lowepro backpack last
night (that in retro I never should have bought).

I noticed that my older Lowepro bag which is always stuffed to straining
is over 10 years old and is beginning to show wear but will doubtless go
another 10 - 20 years. Just made tough. I like the padding because it
DOES provide protection by absorbing vibration and minor shocks.

Further it is a great insulator and in winter or summer keeps the camera
and film at a fairly constant temperature while the whole kit is in the
trunk of the car. I don't think the padding ads up to very much weight.

OTOH, for climbing trails I throw everything into a 30 litre backpack.
Everything bouncing together. No harm to date.

I just replaced an 8-year-old day pack. It was 25 liter, narrow, well
padded straps & zips all the way open:
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...Review Header
I consider 8 years fantastically strong the way I abuse hiking gear and
considering it's inexpensive. $70 Canadian back then, $50 now ($40 US).

I replaced it with a CamelBak alpine explorer which does not zip all the
way down :-( I looked at dozens of bags in a big store & that was the
best I could find. Then I discovered I could have got the same MEC pack
again. Heck I should get a few of them :-)

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old February 6th 09, 01:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
DRS

"Eric Miller" wrote in message

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

There are many, of course, but what are the photography products you
believe or know are most useless.

The lead-lined bags designed to protect your film from airport x-rays.

You obviously never took film through Tokyo airport security.

Old February 6th 09, 02:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

DRS wrote:
"Eric Miller" wrote in message

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
There are many, of course, but what are the photography products you
believe or know are most useless.

The lead-lined bags designed to protect your film from airport x-rays.

You obviously never took film through Tokyo airport security.

Erm, that was yesteryear. Eric shoots digitally.

--
john mcwilliams