Can't decide--Canon or Nikon

Old March 6th 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

Default Can't decide--Canon or Nikon

armpit wrote:

"kayla" <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote in message ...

I'm having a hard time deciding between the Canon XTi or the Nikon 40Dx after doing a lot of research. I've been using the Canon Pro1 for 3 years and I really like it but it has it's limitations and I want to move on. Any suggestions between the two. Thanks Lori

I was weighing that same decision a few weeks ago, as I was looking to buy my first DSLR. I actually wound up getting a Nikon D80, since I had heard that Nikon lenses were a little better, and that Canon lenses are a bit more expensive. (I don't wish to debate those statements, I just read it from some reputable sources, and a newbie's gotta learn somewhere.) One thing to keep in mind with the D40x is that your autofocus lens choices are limited to only lenses that have built-in AF motors. This severely limits your lens choices. That is one of the main reasons why I chose the D80 over the D40x. The other reason is that I got a killer deal on a D80 kit with an 18-55 lens and a 70-300mm VR lens from Adorama.com

I think the reason deals are coming is that the D90 is due to be announced this year.

I would suggest going to a camera store and holding each camera and see how they feel to you. I much preferred the Nikon over the Canon for my hands, but many prefer the opposite. Either in a fine choice, but find out what the limitations and shortcomings are for each model and choose the one that has the features that meet your needs.

Old March 6th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

HEMI-Powered wrote:

Pete D added these comments in the current discussion du jour ....

I'm having a hard time deciding between the Canon XTi or the Nikon 40Dx after doing a lot of research. I've been using the Canon Pro1 for 3 years and I really like it but it has it's limitations and I want to move on. Any suggestions between the two.

Both would be good but you have to use it so go into a shop and handle them both, use the menus, also have a look at the lenses that you are likely to buy. Ultimaely in a few years you will want a new camera but you will keep the lenses so there get the one that you give most ticks to the entire system. Personally I would suggest going up just a little and get the D80.

I followed exactly your advice a couple years back when trying to decide on a Canon Rebel XT or a Nikon D70s. These days, I believe you're right, it is the D80 that is the direct competitor to the XTi.

I think the D80 is between the DRXTi and the 40D.
Old March 6th 08, 05:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Just before Christmas I decided to go from P&S Digital to a DSLR.
I generally buy photographic equipment around Christmas time/New Years
because the prices are a lot more competitive.
I had been a Canon Fan for about 35 years. Started out with Canon SLR, moved
to Nikon SLR and then moved back to Canon SLR -then to Canon P&S Digital.

After looking at the 4 DSLR makers I went with a Nikon D40. Because camera
is easy to use, and the lens for the D40, D40X, D60 are very reasonable in
price. Canon are expensive. I am very disappointed with Canon because I feel
the quality has slipped.
The D40 is a joy to use, fits your hand well and gives great pictures and
top reviews and have the Nikon 2 year Camera warranty with the Nikon 5 year
warranty on lens.. Canon is only 1 year on everything. The Nikon D60 is a
nice camera but it is about $200 more than the D40 and not worth the
expense. The best thing is to also check the web there are lots of reviews
of DSLR's and make up your own mind. My opinion for what's its worth.

Old March 6th 08, 05:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Sheehy

measekite wrote in
et:

!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"

Can we keep this wordprocessor stuff off of usenet? Your posts are
impossible to read in a true usenet-style newsreader.

Usenet is a pure-text medium, with a unit of lines;, not paragraphs.

Are you using outlook express? The Usenet functionality of OO was written
by people who probably didn't even know what usenet was, before being
assigned to the project. OO came out, guns-ablazing, screwing up usenet,
trying to turn it into a word processor.

People are just going to skip over your posts and not read them in the
format you're presenting them in.

--

John P Sheehy

Old March 6th 08, 06:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

"John Sheehy" wrote in message
measekite wrote in
et:

!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"

Can we keep this wordprocessor stuff off of usenet? Your posts are
impossible to read in a true usenet-style newsreader.

Usenet is a pure-text medium, with a unit of lines;, not paragraphs.

Are you using outlook express? The Usenet functionality of OO was written
by people who probably didn't even know what usenet was, before being
assigned to the project. OO came out, guns-ablazing, screwing up usenet,
trying to turn it into a word processor.

People are just going to skip over your posts and not read them in the
format you're presenting them in.

No we aren't but we will clip your silly sigs.

Old March 6th 08, 07:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Troy Piggins[_11_]

* Pete D wrote:

"John Sheehy" wrote in message
measekite wrote in
et:

!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"

Can we keep this wordprocessor stuff off of usenet? Your posts are
impossible to read in a true usenet-style newsreader.

Usenet is a pure-text medium, with a unit of lines;, not paragraphs.

Are you using outlook express? The Usenet functionality of OO was written
by people who probably didn't even know what usenet was, before being
assigned to the project. OO came out, guns-ablazing, screwing up usenet,
trying to turn it into a word processor.

People are just going to skip over your posts and not read them in the
format you're presenting them in.

No we aren't but we will clip your silly sigs.

Nothing wrong with John's sigs - they comply fully with the usual
netiquette guidelines. HTML posts do not. /netkop

--
Troy Piggins
Old March 6th 08, 08:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

John Sheehy wrote:
[]
Are you using outlook express? The Usenet functionality of OO was
written by people who probably didn't even know what usenet was,
before being assigned to the project. OO came out, guns-ablazing,
screwing up usenet, trying to turn it into a word processor.

John,

Outlook Express, while it's not everyone's choice, has no problems sending
plain text postings to Usenet when correctly configured. Evidence this
post.

To the OP - I went down to my local shop and handled both Canon and Nikon,
and ended up buying the Nikon. Not been disappointed yet.

Cheers,
David

Old March 6th 08, 08:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

kayla wrote:
Wow!! Thanks everybody! You have all given great advice and I do
plan on going to a camera shop because when I got my Pro1 I got
excellent service during the sale and afterwards as well when I needed
help with anything. What got me thinking about Nikon is the shorter
zoom lense compared to the longer one from Canon because less weight
is important to me and I would like to pretty well keep the same lens
on. The cost of the two that I picked are also within my budget.

If it ever stops snowing or freezing rain every other day I will go
and start shopping. That's been the biggest hold up.

Lori

Lori,

Cheapest, with a single good-quality carry-around lens:

Nikon D40 with 18-200mm VR zoom

alternative, with lens changes required:

Nikon D40 with 18-55mm kit lens, plus 55-200mm VR extra lens
Very lightweight and compact.

Cheers,
David

Old March 6th 08, 09:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

"Troy Piggins" wrote in message
* Pete D wrote:

[...]

You misunderstand, I said silly not anything else, John has extra lines, not
that much different from the overhead that html introduces yet Johns is
okay?

Old March 6th 08, 11:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Troy Piggins[_11_]

* Pete D wrote:

"Troy Piggins" wrote in message
[---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 21 lines snipped |=---]
People are just going to skip over your posts and not read them in the
format you're presenting them in.

No we aren't but we will clip your silly sigs.

Nothing wrong with John's sigs - they comply fully with the usual
netiquette guidelines. HTML posts do not. /netkop

You misunderstand, I said silly not anything else, John has extra lines, not
that much different from the overhead that html introduces yet Johns is
okay?

Yes.

--
Troy Piggins