Quantaray Lens on a Nikon D200

Old December 18th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Nabors

Default Quantaray Lens on a Nikon D200

Anyone that has experience using the QUANTARAY 70-100mm 14.0-5.6 AF Zoom
Lens on a Nikon D200, please advise how well it performs.

Robert

Old December 18th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill

"Robert Nabors" wrote in message
. ..
Anyone that has experience using the QUANTARAY 70-100mm 14.0-5.6 AF
Zoom Lens on a Nikon D200, please advise how well it performs.

I presume you mean the Quantaray 70-210 f/4-5.6 model. I haven't used
the lense, but from what I've read online about Quantaray, they're one
of the worst brands available. The price should be your first clue to
quality.

And no offense, but why would you want to put a crappy lense on such a
nice camera? The lense does all the work in forming an image for the
camera to capture, so it's arguably the most important part of a
camera system.

--
Happy Holidays!

Old December 18th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jeremy

"Robert Nabors" wrote in message
. ..
Anyone that has experience using the QUANTARAY 70-100mm 14.0-5.6 AF Zoom
Lens on a Nikon D200, please advise how well it performs.

Robert

I think you've put the cart before the horse. The LENS is the first link in
the image chain, and your image can be only as good as your lens.

Quanterray lenses are Ritz Cameras' house brand, and I believe that they are
manufactured by the lowest bidder. Last I heard, they were being made by
some Korean outfit.

Ritz would typically put Quanterray lenses on name-brand cameras and
advertise the kits for sale at prices that appeared to be beneath that of
the competition. Their typical consumer thought he was getting a good deal,
not realizing that he was comparing the price to that of a camera with an
OEM brand lens. Most consumers don't understand the subtleties of these
things, so Ritz exploited their customers' lack of knowledge.

And you ask about Quanterray lenses? I'd use them for doorstops.

I have had my flings with cheap lenses and I have always been disappointed.

Old December 18th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Sheldon

"Robert Nabors" wrote in message
. ..
Anyone that has experience using the QUANTARAY 70-100mm 14.0-5.6 AF Zoom
Lens on a Nikon D200, please advise how well it performs.

Robert

Nikon makes a great 80~200 AF f2.8. That's what you should be putting on
your D200. Lots of used ones floating around. (This is assuming the other
posters are correct in that you are actually looking for an 80~200.)

Old December 19th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
W Paul Mills

Old December 19th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Nabors

"Sheldon" wrote in message
. ..

"Robert Nabors" wrote in message
. ..
Anyone that has experience using the QUANTARAY 70-100mm 14.0-5.6 AF Zoom
Lens on a Nikon D200, please advise how well it performs.

Robert

Nikon makes a great 80~200 AF f2.8. That's what you should be putting on
your D200. Lots of used ones floating around. (This is assuming the other
posters are correct in that you are actually looking for an 80~200.)

Thanks,

I'll just skip considering the lens, "QUANTARAY 70-100mm 14.0-5.6 AF Zoom,"
and take a look at the Nikon 80~200 AF f2.8.

Robert

Old December 19th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

"Robert Nabors" wrote:
Nikon makes a great 80~200 AF f2.8. That's what you should be putting on
your D200. Lots of used ones floating around. (This is assuming the other
posters are correct in that you are actually looking for an 80~200.)

Thanks,

I'll just skip considering the lens, "QUANTARAY 70-100mm 14.0-5.6 AF Zoom,"
and take a look at the Nikon 80~200 AF f2.8.

An excellent choice. You might want to widen it just slightly,
and also look at the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 lense with VR. I
haven't used one, but it is essentially a replacement for the
80-200mm f/2.8.

The 80-200mm f/2.8 has been made in several variations, and
you will find at least three different versions that are very
similar. The one you want is marked "Nikon ED" and named
"AF Nikkor 80-200mm 1:2.8 D". The significant difference is
the "ED", which stands for extra low dispersion glass.

The lenses is rugged, big, heavy, and sharp.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old December 19th 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jer

jeremy wrote:
[...]

Like Walmart comparing their cheap Chinese knock-off trash with quality
name brands and their customers believing it's just good marketing
leading to a good deal.

And you ask about Quanterray lenses? I'd use them for doorstops.

I have had my flings with cheap lenses and I have always been disappointed.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Old December 19th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
tomm42

On Dec 18, 2:05 pm, "Robert Nabors" wrote:
Anyone that has experience using the QUANTARAY 70-100mm 14.0-5.6 AF Zoom
Lens on a Nikon D200, please advise how well it performs.

Robert

Ok you found out what folks think of Quantaray lenses. The best 70-200
for the D200 is the 80-200 f2.8 used (get the 2 ring zoom and focus not
the push pull) they run $500-$1000 used (www.keh.com for a good used
source). For a lens that is a lighter look at the Nikon 70-210 f4 (not
the f4-5.6) it is only available used. For new lenses look at the
55-200, plastic lens but, inexpensive and has some good reviews, or
the new 70-300 VR lens, which is new and the few reviews of it have
been very good, it is a consumer level lens, not pro.

Good luck
Tom

Old December 19th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Sheldon

"Robert Nabors" wrote in message
. ..

"Sheldon" wrote in message
. ..

"Robert Nabors" wrote in message
. ..
Anyone that has experience using the QUANTARAY 70-100mm 14.0-5.6 AF
Zoom Lens on a Nikon D200, please advise how well it performs.

Robert

Nikon makes a great 80~200 AF f2.8. That's what you should be putting on
your D200. Lots of used ones floating around. (This is assuming the
other posters are correct in that you are actually looking for an
80~200.)

Thanks,

I'll just skip considering the lens, "QUANTARAY 70-100mm 14.0-5.6 AF
Zoom," and take a look at the Nikon 80~200 AF f2.8.

You won't regret it. Mine is an ED model, pre tripod mount with the
push/pull zoom and focus. It is an extremely sharp lens. I almost got one
on eBay, but one of my clients had this one in excellent condition so I did
a trade for it. I've made some really dumb trades for my services in the
past, but this was a great move on my part. Also makes an excellent lens
for portraits. I'm using mine with a D70.