Is Amazon relieble?

Old November 23rd 06, 07:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Is Amazon relieble?

In article ,
Jim Redelfs wrote:

With the link you provided, you notice that your intended camera is NOT sold
directly by Amazon.com, rather it "Ships from and sold by 17th Street Photo".
As always, good luck, but you should OK.

That's not what I saw:

"Availability: In Stock. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com."

Old November 23rd 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Randy W. Sims

Pat wrote:

I have stopped using Amazon because of shipping problems. They use DHL
which hands the package off to USPS for delivery.

They use DHL? I have *never* had a shipment from Amazon that came
via DHL.

Possibly from one of their affiliate stores. I've had deliveries by UPS
from Amazon.com, UPS, USPS, & FedEx from affiliates. I strongly prefer
UPS; their tracking system always works, they are almost always deliver
early. USPS & FedEx don't have good tracking, though I don't think they
have ever been late on a shipment. I also think UPS tends to take better
care of packages en route and make better delivery to the door
(friendlier & not leaving packages in stupid places).

I've bought a lot of stuff through Amazon & affiliates, and I have never
ran into any problems. Over the last year some of the stuff I bought
through them has come from Amazon.com, Adorama, Digital Dist., OneCall,
Bowling.com, Bowlers Paradise. No bad experiences at all. The only thing
I would improve upon would be shipment tracking or allowing for setting
a preferred shipper for all affiliates so that I can always use UPS, but
that would probably not be practical for them.

Randy.

Old November 24th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
irwell

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 14:32:06 -0500, "Randy W. Sims"

Pat wrote:

[...]

Also Amazon is a good place to sell your used
gear. Great protection, both for the buyer and the
seller.
Have had really good experiences on both counts.
Old November 24th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

irwell wrote:

Also Amazon is a good place to sell your used
gear. Great protection, both for the buyer and the
seller.
Have had really good experiences on both counts.

I can't see where they say how much of a cut they get from the transaction.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1
Old November 27th 06, 06:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dave

I think it is a good company but I have had occasional books with major
printing errors. It's not easy to return merchandise when a return involves
more than just driving back to the store and handing it back. I get a
feeling that their quality control could be a little better.

Dave

Old November 28th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

I wouldn't be inclined to blame Amazon for printing errors.

It's not the publisher, it doesn't print the books, it just stores them
then ships them!

And suggesting that a vendor should flip through every single page of
every book that goes through its hands (as it would have to do) is
suggesting that you like a book to cost several hundred dollars a copy!

Old November 29th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dave

wrote in message
I wouldn't be inclined to blame Amazon for printing errors.

It's not the publisher, it doesn't print the books, it just stores them
then ships them!

You make a good point, Derek, Amazon is not in the printing business.

Of course I don't expect them to leaf through every book. But with a
brick and mortar store it is easier to do a return, plain and simple.
Regardless of who's fault it is, it ends up being the consumer's problem if
mail order doesn't go easily. I suspect that all but the most gross printing
errors are just swallowed by the mail order consumer. Too much effort to do
a return.

Dave

Old December 1st 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
W Paul Mills