Is Microsoft Office Picture Manager Any Good?

Old July 28th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Dudley Hanks[_2_]

Default Is Microsoft Office Picture Manager Any Good?

"Dudley Hanks" wrote in message news:...
I've just discovered that the Microsoft Picture Manager lets me do basic
things like cropping, contrast and brightness adjustment, colour
manipulation via dialogue boxes that are accessable using my speech
program.

While I'm excited that this gives me access to functions I haven't been
able to use in any other program, I'm a bit skeptical, since I haven't
heard of many other photogs using the program. Does anyone out there know
if the results obtained by Microsoft Picture Manager would be good enough
to justify learning how to use it?

Thanks for any feedback.

Dudley

Actually, the program is Microsoft Office Picture Manager... Sorry, about
that little oversight...

Once again, thanks for any feedback...

Dudley

Old July 28th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
John McWilliams

Dudley Hanks wrote:
"Dudley Hanks" wrote in message news:...
I've just discovered that the Microsoft Picture Manager lets me do basic
things like cropping, contrast and brightness adjustment, colour
manipulation via dialogue boxes that are accessable using my speech
program.

While I'm excited that this gives me access to functions I haven't been
able to use in any other program, I'm a bit skeptical, since I haven't
heard of many other photogs using the program. Does anyone out there know
if the results obtained by Microsoft Picture Manager would be good enough
to justify learning how to use it?

Actually, the program is Microsoft Office Picture Manager... Sorry, about
that little oversight...

Once again, thanks for any feedback...

I believe a key element is that MS programs are not color managed. That
would make them non-starters for certain types of photo work. Most, in
fact, except for just web-display.

Photoshop Elements is where I'd start.

--
john mcwilliams

Old July 28th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Robert Coe

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 19:54:12 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
wrote:
:
[...]

For a Canon user it's inferior to Digital Photo Professional, except in one
respect: I believe it includes redeye correction. (I'm not logged into a
computer that has MOPM, so I can't say for sure. But someome will correct me
if I'm wrong.)

Bob
Old July 29th 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Clair Johnston

Dudley Hanks wrote:
"Dudley Hanks" wrote in message news:...
I've just discovered that the Microsoft Picture Manager lets me do basic
things like cropping, contrast and brightness adjustment, colour
manipulation via dialogue boxes that are accessable using my speech
program.

While I'm excited that this gives me access to functions I haven't been
able to use in any other program, I'm a bit skeptical, since I haven't
heard of many other photogs using the program. Does anyone out there know
if the results obtained by Microsoft Picture Manager would be good enough
to justify learning how to use it?

Thanks for any feedback.

Dudley

Actually, the program is Microsoft Office Picture Manager... Sorry, about
that little oversight...

Once again, thanks for any feedback...

Dudley

I am a long time user of irfanview and highly recommend it. A couple of
years ago I discovered fsviewer
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm and I now use that for most
simple photo adjustment you describe. I still prefer irfanview for file
rename.
I have an aversion to most of Microsoft free stuff. They will satisfy
the masses, but usually break down for critical use. Just my opinion.

Clair
Old July 29th 08, 10:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
D-Mac[_5_]

wrote:
:
[...]

Dudley has special needs in a computer program Bob. I think a colour
managed program might not be of much value to him. I personally would
think letting Windows manage the colour produces a "good enough"
rendition and almost guarantees a "near enough" print from most printers
and digi-labs.

Hey Dudley... Get the 60 day trial version from MS' web site. That
should answer your questions once and for all.
Old July 29th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_2_]

[...]

Yeah, I've got the program installed, and I'm playing around with it. So
far, I like what I can do with it.

I'll take a few shots and tweak them a bit and post them along with the
originals and see how much better others can do with Photoshop, etc. It
should be an interesting little experiment.

Thanks for the feedback,
Dudley