IrfanView - Viewing files from folder?

Old November 29th 07, 01:15 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell

Default IrfanView - Viewing files from folder?

IrfanView is without doubt my favourite image viewer. But there is one
operation I need many times a day that it seems unable to do. With a
Windows folder open, sorted to my chosen sequence, I want to view a
consecutive selection of files. Or maybe the entire folder. But
IrfanView doesn't seem capable of this. It views in some alphabetic
order I think. So having d-clicked the first file, the R-arrow key
does not take me to the next file displayed in my folder, but
somewhere else I'm not expecting.

To achieve my aim, I instead r-click the set of files I've selected
(they don't even need to be contiguous), and choose Preview from the
context menu. The built in 'Windows Picture & Fax Viewer' then loads
and displays the first picture, and I can click or R-arrow key through
the rest.

No big deal, but it's a pity I can't do it all in IrfanView. Or have I
missed the magic setting that will let me do so?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Old November 29th 07, 02:00 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
hummingbird[_2_]

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 13:15:11 +0000 'Terry Pinnell'
wrote this on alt.comp.freewa

IrfanView is without doubt my favourite image viewer. But there is one
operation I need many times a day that it seems unable to do. With a
Windows folder open, sorted to my chosen sequence, I want to view a
consecutive selection of files. Or maybe the entire folder. But
IrfanView doesn't seem capable of this. It views in some alphabetic
order I think. So having d-clicked the first file, the R-arrow key
does not take me to the next file displayed in my folder, but
somewhere else I'm not expecting.

'Directory Index' number is what controls the order Terry but I'm
not sure how you change that in Irfanview because it's to do with
file sorting and I'm not sure what method IV uses.
Try: "Options/Sort Directory Files"

(with Irfanview currently set as it is, look at the index number
in the window frame (eg: 7/64) and you'll see it increments or
decrements sequentially as you move through the files.)

To achieve my aim, I instead r-click the set of files I've selected
(they don't even need to be contiguous), and choose Preview from the
context menu. The built in 'Windows Picture & Fax Viewer' then loads
and displays the first picture, and I can click or R-arrow key through
the rest.

No big deal, but it's a pity I can't do it all in IrfanView. Or have I
missed the magic setting that will let me do so?

--
The most hilarious comment of 2007:
"I do not post with deliberate and misleading errors"
Old November 29th 07, 04:41 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Susan Bugher

Terry Pinnell wrote:

IrfanView is without doubt my favourite image viewer. But there is one
operation I need many times a day that it seems unable to do. With a
Windows folder open, sorted to my chosen sequence, I want to view a
consecutive selection of files. Or maybe the entire folder. But
IrfanView doesn't seem capable of this. It views in some alphabetic
order I think.

The choices aren't listed in the View menu. They're in the Options menu/
Sort Directory files/ sort (ascending or descending) by name, name (XP
style), date, size, extension.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://www.google.com/advanced_group....comp.freeware
Old November 29th 07, 05:41 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Susan Bugher wrote:
Terry Pinnell wrote:

IrfanView is without doubt my favourite image viewer. But there is one
operation I need many times a day that it seems unable to do. With a
Windows folder open, sorted to my chosen sequence, I want to view a
consecutive selection of files. Or maybe the entire folder. But
IrfanView doesn't seem capable of this. It views in some alphabetic
order I think.

The choices aren't listed in the View menu. They're in the Options menu/
Sort Directory files/ sort (ascending or descending) by name, name (XP
style), date, size, extension.

Custom drag & drop order from windows I don't think will work for any
program... I do that in photoshop or ACDsee then batch rename prefixed
by a number to lock in the sort order for other applications if it's
important. Perhaps the windows drag/drop order is accessible for vista
but not that I've ever seen.
Old November 29th 07, 06:39 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
hummingbird[_2_]

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 11:41:36 -0500 'Susan Bugher'

Terry Pinnell wrote:

IrfanView is without doubt my favourite image viewer. But there is one
operation I need many times a day that it seems unable to do. With a
Windows folder open, sorted to my chosen sequence, I want to view a
consecutive selection of files. Or maybe the entire folder. But
IrfanView doesn't seem capable of this. It views in some alphabetic
order I think.

The choices aren't listed in the View menu. They're in the Options menu/
Sort Directory files/ sort (ascending or descending) by name, name (XP
style), date, size, extension.

I already posted to that effect.

Old November 30th 07, 05:11 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
iNcReDuLoUs

hummingbird wrote in news:fin11c.oc.1
@localhost.127.0.0.1:

I already posted to that effect.

People who aren't ignoring you already knew that, Chris. Those who ARE
ignoring you still don't know, and probably wouldn't care. Whine on.

--
I lurk, therefore I am. If I post, I am iNcReDuLoUs.
Old November 30th 07, 06:26 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell

Paul Furman wrote:

Susan Bugher wrote:
Terry Pinnell wrote:

IrfanView is without doubt my favourite image viewer. But there is one
operation I need many times a day that it seems unable to do. With a
Windows folder open, sorted to my chosen sequence, I want to view a
consecutive selection of files. Or maybe the entire folder. But
IrfanView doesn't seem capable of this. It views in some alphabetic
order I think.

The choices aren't listed in the View menu. They're in the Options menu/
Sort Directory files/ sort (ascending or descending) by name, name (XP
style), date, size, extension.

Custom drag & drop order from windows I don't think will work for any
program... I do that in photoshop or ACDsee then batch rename prefixed
by a number to lock in the sort order for other applications if it's
important. Perhaps the windows drag/drop order is accessible for vista
but not that I've ever seen.

Not sure I follow you on that Paul. Even if the files in my folder
include some dragged in from another folder (since the last sort),
then the Preview command from Windows Picture & Fax Viewer still
displays them correctly.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old November 30th 07, 06:32 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell

hummingbird wrote:

[...]

Thanks both. The snag with using that option is that frequently my
folders differ in sequence, although mainly only two: Descending Date
and Name. Also (see my reply to Paul), occasionally a folder won't be
in *any* rigorous sequence, following additions made by dragging from
elsewhere. So it's a chore constantly changing via Options|Sort
directory files. Guess I'll settle for Windows Picture & Fax Viewer
for now. And drop Irfan another wish-list request!

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old November 30th 07, 06:37 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Terry Pinnell wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:

Susan Bugher wrote:
Terry Pinnell wrote:

[...]

What exactly is wrong with your sort order? Vista does alphanumeric
sorting a little different as does unix/linux & I assume macs. When I
upload windows sorted files to a *nix web server it sorts a bit
differently, I'm not clear exactly off-had but it's the difference of
these two:

02abc.jpg
1abc.jpg
3abc.jpg

vs

1abc.jpg
02abc.jpg
3abc.jpg

(or something like that, I forget...)
Old November 30th 07, 07:40 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell

Paul Furman wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:

Susan Bugher wrote:
Terry Pinnell wrote:

[...]

What 'sort order'?

The order of IrfanView viewing using right arrow key? (Answer: as
described.)

The order of sorted files in a Win XP Home folder?
(Answer: nothing.)

The order of IrfanView viewing after using Options|Sort directory
files? (Answer: nothing.)

Vista does alphanumeric
sorting a little different as does unix/linux & I assume macs. When I
upload windows sorted files to a *nix web server it sorts a bit
differently, I'm not clear exactly off-had but it's the difference of
these two:

02abc.jpg
1abc.jpg
3abc.jpg

vs

1abc.jpg
02abc.jpg
3abc.jpg

(or something like that, I forget...)

Yes, I know, but how is that relevant here?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK