Today it a - RED - photo of the day!

Old June 4th 07, 11:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
ryadia

Default Today it a - RED - photo of the day!

Probably the most difficult colour for digital camera sensors to reproduce.
Particularly when photographing a plant. The colour emitted by plants
contains a lot of the infra red spectrum.
Anyway... My Red. http://www.ryadia.com/POD/June/4-06-07.htm
--
Douglas,
Those who can, just do it.

Old June 4th 07, 12:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

First, your title should read "Today itS a - RED - photo of the day!",
don't you think? Or were you trying to sound silly for some
particular reason?

Yes, attention to detail, Doug - work on it.

IMO, this is not a particularly noteworthy shot - would have been
vastly improved by more interesting composition, creative use of depth
of field, and less harsh lighting to emphasise redness, rather than
the (somewhat overexposed) pink/magenta. Perhaps like:

http://www.marktphoto.com/REDS.jpg

Maybe try another colour tomorrow - but shoot a little earlier or
later on one of those rare Qld rainy days - and use some flair...

I will be most interested in other opinions. Rita, what do you
reckon? (O;

Old June 4th 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

new plonk filter
Old June 5th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
ryadia

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message

IMO, this is not a particularly noteworthy shot - would have been
vastly improved by more interesting composition, creative use of depth
of field, and less harsh lighting to emphasise redness, rather than
the (somewhat overexposed) pink/magenta. Perhaps like:

http://www.marktphoto.com/REDS.jpg

Nice.

Maybe try another colour tomorrow - but shoot a little earlier or
later on one of those rare Qld rainy days - and use some flair...

I will be most interested in other opinions. Rita, what do you
reckon? (O;

Well, my opinion on this is sometimes we can't select what time we have to
take the shot. As a result we have to compromise image quality. High
noon
shots are a real challenge, as you know. I think a lot of it is a
limitation of the dynamic range of the camera. And a good portion is
technique. Maybe it's time to carry around a portable diffuser tent? I
hate midday shooting.

I have a few red shots but not the red that I want. So, this one will
have
to do.

http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2007/red.htm

Rita

Nice shot. It looks like it was taken in the ice! Makes me feel cold looking
at it. I don't know if you got that emotion in the picture on purpose or by
accident but all really good pictures need to convey emotion. I have a
collection of rose images (frangipani's too) I keep as stock canvas prints.
They sell on days when nothing else does.

Old June 5th 07, 01:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2007/red.htm

Rita

Thanks, Rita - nice to see you post a real shot! I like it - nice
subdued lighting. It is bloody hard to do a good, non-cliche, red-
rose shot.

I also agree that we sometimes may have to compromise, but I think if
the quality is compromised significantly, one should learn from it,
*toss it*, and move on. (O:

In the case of Doug's shot, I would be surprised if any of the
following couldn't have helped:
- using a polariser
- returning when the light was better or after/when it was raining
- shooting at a different angle and composing a little less centrally
- dropping the exposure/contrast a touch or two
... and so on..