Cleaning 35mm slides

Old March 16th 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dr Phred

Default Cleaning 35mm slides

I have a huge collection of 35 mm slides that were stored in vinyl
holders. They are kind of stuck in there. It seems the vinyl oozed
something onto the slides, and if you just yank the slide out, it
leaves a "water ring". I'm leaving the slides in there until I can
figure out how to get them out without damaging them. Any suggestions?

Old March 16th 07, 10:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dennis Pogson

Dr Phred wrote:
I have a huge collection of 35 mm slides that were stored in vinyl
holders. They are kind of stuck in there. It seems the vinyl oozed
something onto the slides, and if you just yank the slide out, it
leaves a "water ring". I'm leaving the slides in there until I can
figure out how to get them out without damaging them. Any suggestions?

You could try soaking them in distilled water, then drying them with a hair
dryer once the vinyl has released it's hold on the emulsion.

I am not saying this will work, thus suggesting it is worth a try!

Dennis.

Old March 16th 07, 12:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joseph Meehan

Dr Phred wrote:
I have a huge collection of 35 mm slides that were stored in vinyl
holders. They are kind of stuck in there. It seems the vinyl oozed
something onto the slides, and if you just yank the slide out, it
leaves a "water ring". I'm leaving the slides in there until I can
figure out how to get them out without damaging them. Any suggestions?

Take on that has the ring on it and try soaking it in water. That will
not damage it, but it does soften the emulsion so be careful as it dries.
Did that clean it? You might also use the suggestion on one of soaking it
before removing it. Distilled water is good as is using alcohol after the
water to speed drying time.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old March 16th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tomm42

On Mar 15, 11:56 pm, "Dr Phred" wrote:
I have a huge collection of 35 mm slides that were stored in vinyl
holders. They are kind of stuck in there. It seems the vinyl oozed
something onto the slides, and if you just yank the slide out, it
leaves a "water ring". I'm leaving the slides in there until I can
figure out how to get them out without damaging them. Any suggestions?

This is why archivists warn against vinyl slide holders, polyethelene
holders are much better, but they tend not to grip the slides as well.
Bad news is that the images may be permanently damaged. Get some new
slide mounts, take the film out of the mount and soak it, dip in
Photoflo and hang to dry, remount, that is all you can do. May work,
may not.

Tom

Old March 16th 07, 02:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
JohnR66

"Dr Phred" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a huge collection of 35 mm slides that were stored in vinyl
holders. They are kind of stuck in there. It seems the vinyl oozed
something onto the slides, and if you just yank the slide out, it
leaves a "water ring". I'm leaving the slides in there until I can
figure out how to get them out without damaging them. Any suggestions?

The plasticizers used in many PVC products seem to reach out and effect
anything it is in contact with. A vinyl CD case I left on a wood cabinet for
a few weeks became glued to it. It turned the finish into a sticky goo.
Hopefully no permanent damage was made to your slides.

In addition to the other advice, I'd add a wetting agent to the wash to
reduce spotting as the film dries. I used to process my own slides and the
wetting agent, Kodak Photo Flow in my case, was a must.

Polypropylene or, if you want to spend some money, crystal clear mylar
sleeves are recommended.

John

Old March 16th 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen

JohnR66 wrote:
"Dr Phred" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Not about slides, but about insidious vinyl in general--
My wife had an elderly relative who died a few years ago. She had a
modest collection of LPs from the early days of that medium, containing
contemporary-for-the-time classical music; several of these discs had
become collectors' items. But--somewhere down the line, someone had
removed the discs from their sleeves and put them in vinyl-covered wire
racks. The plasticizer from the vinyl on the racks had migrated to the
discs and raised very large welts, just the size and shape of the wire.
Most were totally unplayable. And then there is the reaction between
vinyl and Xerox copies. Vinyl is very good in its place, but that place
is _not_ near other materials.
Allen
Old March 16th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Dr Phred wrote:
I have a huge collection of 35 mm slides that were stored in vinyl
holders. They are kind of stuck in there. It seems the vinyl oozed
something onto the slides, and if you just yank the slide out, it
leaves a "water ring". I'm leaving the slides in there until I can
figure out how to get them out without damaging them. Any suggestions?

Yes, ask in rec.photo.equipment.35mm or another more appropriate group.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old March 16th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marvin

Dr Phred wrote:
I have a huge collection of 35 mm slides that were stored in vinyl
holders. They are kind of stuck in there. It seems the vinyl oozed
something onto the slides, and if you just yank the slide out, it
leaves a "water ring". I'm leaving the slides in there until I can
figure out how to get them out without damaging them. Any suggestions?

Before you try any of the suggestions, if the vinyl is
clear, scan the slides in the vinyl. That way, you'll have
something to use if the slides are damaged during removal.
Old March 17th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dr Phred

On Mar 16, 8:40 am, Marvin wrote:
Dr Phred wrote:
I have a huge collection of 35 mm slides that were stored in vinyl
holders. They are kind of stuck in there. It seems the vinyl oozed
something onto the slides, and if you just yank the slide out, it
leaves a "water ring". I'm leaving the slides in there until I can
figure out how to get them out without damaging them. Any suggestions?

Before you try any of the suggestions, if the vinyl is
clear, scan the slides in the vinyl. That way, you'll have
something to use if the slides are damaged during removal.

Thanks. I will try this first, then the water/photoflo method.

Old March 17th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dr Phred

On Mar 16, 6:55 am, Allen wrote:
JohnR66 wrote:
"Dr Phred" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

There was an HBO movie, Blue Vinyl, that exposed the tremendous danger
presented by the vinyl industry, every step of the way. It is a
wonderful material for things like pipes, but its production kills
people, and in the wrong place, it can be very destructive.