Dust control

Old March 17th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Dust control

It seems I am plagued with dust no matter what I do. When I built the new
darkroom, I caulked every drywall seam, floor and ceiling joints, plumbing
entrances and exits, filtered the air intake, don't smoke in the room and I
still have a huge dust and spider problem. I can't figure how the critters
get in yet alone what they eat. This room is almost air tight! I'm
considering an ionic air thingy...thoughts?

Old March 17th 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
"Tom Gardner" wrote:

It seems I am plagued with dust no matter what I do. When I built the new
darkroom, I caulked every drywall seam, floor and ceiling joints, plumbing
entrances and exits, filtered the air intake, don't smoke in the room and I
still have a huge dust and spider problem. I can't figure how the critters
get in yet alone what they eat. This room is almost air tight! I'm
considering an ionic air thingy...thoughts?

An ionic air thing may be needed depending on the conditions
here in Maryland because of humidity dust sticks in place, wipe it away
and its gone-but its important to cover negatives with sleeves. As for
spiders who knows they creep me out.
--
The things we hate most in life often turn out to be a mirror image
of ourselves. Better not to hate.

Findmedirectly - "infoatgregblankphoto.com"
Old March 17th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

I've always felt that dust has more of a chance of becoming airborn if
there's too little humidity. Any way to test this out?
Could the spiders be coming in through the plumbing?
-Lew
. com...

Old March 17th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Tom Gardner spake thus:

It seems I am plagued with dust no matter what I do. When I built the new
darkroom, I caulked every drywall seam, floor and ceiling joints, plumbing
entrances and exits, filtered the air intake, don't smoke in the room and I
still have a huge dust and spider problem. I can't figure how the critters
get in yet alone what they eat. This room is almost air tight! I'm
considering an ionic air thingy...thoughts?

Yes: give up. Embrace the dust. All attempts at resistance are futile.

--
Second, Scientologists are like computers trying to run an emulation
of another computer. It can be done, but the performance is awful.

- Keith Henson, from alt.religion.scientology
Old March 17th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

lately there has been a thread at photo.net about this matter that resulted
quite usefull to me.

it's subject is Dust, dust, ando more dust:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/forum?topic_id=1542

(2006-03-04)

Old March 17th 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:28:53 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

It seems I am plagued with dust no matter what I do. When I built the new
darkroom, I caulked every drywall seam, floor and ceiling joints, plumbing
entrances and exits, filtered the air intake, don't smoke in the room and I
still have a huge dust and spider problem. I can't figure how the critters
get in yet alone what they eat. This room is almost air tight! I'm
considering an ionic air thingy...thoughts?

Is the ventilation positive or negative pressure?

If it is negative pressure, unfiltered air will be pulled in anywhere
it can be -- electrical outlets, light fixtures, under and around the
door, etc.

Best solution is to create positive pressure ventilation, and filter
the intake.

Chris Ellinger
Ann Arbor, MI
Old March 17th 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Chris Ellinger" wrote
Is the ventilation positive or negative pressure?

And if it is positive (which it should be) what sort of filter
is being used?

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com
Old March 18th 06, 02:34 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Is the ventilation positive or negative pressure?

If it is negative pressure, unfiltered air will be pulled in anywhere
it can be -- electrical outlets, light fixtures, under and around the
door, etc.

Best solution is to create positive pressure ventilation, and filter
the intake.

Chris Ellinger
Ann Arbor, MI

I built a filter holder that uses a "High Efficiency" accordion style
element that is mounted on the ceiling/wall that has a booster duct fan on
the 6" duct coming from the AC/furnace. There is a switch on this fan. On
the floor, under the sink area is a vent that dumps into the other part of
the basement. There is a standard fiberglass furnace filter on this. So, I
have positive pressure...kinda'. How about I block the air dump partially
or fully and increase the positive pressure? I don't want to run the
booster fan continuously and rarely run it at all, only when it gets hot in
there, no problem with it being too cold.

Old March 18th 06, 07:50 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 10:44:17 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

Tom Gardner spake thus:

It seems I am plagued with dust no matter what I do. When I built the new
darkroom, I caulked every drywall seam, floor and ceiling joints, plumbing
entrances and exits, filtered the air intake, don't smoke in the room and I
still have a huge dust and spider problem. I can't figure how the critters
get in yet alone what they eat. This room is almost air tight! I'm
considering an ionic air thingy...thoughts?

Yes: give up. Embrace the dust. All attempts at resistance are futile.

Oh pooh ! Anyone can get rid of dust ! All you have to do is to run
your hot water line into a fire extinguisher/sprinkler and let it
bathe your darkroom in steaming hot water prior to your usage of said
room.

P.S. Please check all grounds prior to flooding the darkroom with
steaming hot water !

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster