Best duplicate digital photo finder that's free on Windows

Old December 8th 08, 05:55 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Bill Davies

Default Best duplicate digital photo finder that's free on Windows

Is there better Windows freeware for finding duplicate digital photographs?

Currently I use VisiPics V1.30 but I was wondering if there's better
software for finding duplicate photographs of different file sizes and CRC
hashes.

I think VisiPics heuristically compares photographs but does not look at
the EXIF data. Is there a better free duplicate JPEG finder out there?
Old December 8th 08, 06:19 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Johnw

Bill Davies explained :
Is there better Windows freeware for finding duplicate digital photographs?
Currently I use VisiPics V1.30 but I was wondering if there's better
software for finding duplicate photographs of different file sizes and CRC
hashes.
I think VisiPics heuristically compares photographs but does not look at
the EXIF data. Is there a better free duplicate JPEG finder out there?

No idea if it's the best.

Duplicate Cleaner
http://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/

Old December 8th 08, 10:43 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
hummingbird[_3_]

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 21:55:39 -0800 'Bill Davies'
wrote this on alt.comp.freewa

Is there better Windows freeware for finding duplicate digital photographs?

Currently I use VisiPics V1.30 but I was wondering if there's better
software for finding duplicate photographs of different file sizes and CRC
hashes.

I think VisiPics heuristically compares photographs but does not look at
the EXIF data. Is there a better free duplicate JPEG finder out there?

I have a copy of Duplicate Detector v3.201 ("Dup Detector")
and have used it for this. It has adjustable levels of heuristic
analysis. Obviously trial/error is necessary using settings.

Here's a link to v3.1 but I suggest you look for a later version:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...Detector.shtml

It might also be available thru www.pricelesswarehome.org.

--
"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed,
Old December 8th 08, 12:13 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Recluseman35

Bill Davies wrote in
:

Is there better Windows freeware for finding duplicate digital
photographs?

Currently I use VisiPics V1.30 but I was wondering if there's better
software for finding duplicate photographs of different file sizes and
CRC hashes.

I think VisiPics heuristically compares photographs but does not look
at the EXIF data. Is there a better free duplicate JPEG finder out
there?

maybe Dup Detector
homepage is gone but you can see it at Softpedia
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...Detector.shtml
Old December 8th 08, 12:37 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Bill Davies

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 15:19:18 +0900, Johnw wrote:

Duplicate Cleaner
http://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/

Duplicate Cleaner works great but NOT for photographs (except exact CRC
matches or filename or filesize matches).

The only special file type Duplicate Cleaner handles is MP3 files because
it looks at the ID3 tags.

But Duplicate Cleaner does not look at JPEG EXIF tags so it's not a
specialized duplicate photo finder like VisiPics is which uses heruristics,
I think, to locate similar photo files.
Old December 8th 08, 12:39 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Bill Davies

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 06:13:52 -0600, Recluseman35 wrote:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...Detector.shtml

I'll try this Dup-Detector program.

Since I'm looking for photographic files ONLY, and since they may not have
the same file size, file name, nor EXIF information, the heuristics are
important.
Old December 8th 08, 04:32 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Susan Bugher

Bill Davies wrote:

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 06:13:52 -0600, Recluseman35 wrote:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...Detector.shtml

I'll try this Dup-Detector program.

Since I'm looking for photographic files ONLY, and since they may not have
the same file size, file name, nor EXIF information, the heuristics are
important.

I recommend Dup Detector too - I use and like it. Softpedia has an older
version. Get the last Freeware version he

Program: Dup Detector (Pricelessware 2008)
Company: Prismatic Software
Author: William L. Hunt
Windows 95; 98; NT; ME; 2000; XP; (Vista)
Wa (Freeware) LFW (v 3.201+ (2005-10-24))
http://www.freeware-guide.com/rareware/DupDetector.html
(731 KB) (MD5: 9B3283734909C0CA319E4C41D65161C2)
(Re "v 3.201+": the author forgot to change the version number when he
created the final version.)

FYI more image duplicate detectors that have been mentioned in ACF are
listed he
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_FILEUTILITIES.php#3.10DuplicateFileChecker:Image s

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://www.google.com/advanced_group....comp.freeware
Old December 8th 08, 09:54 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Johnw

Bill Davies explained :
Is there better Windows freeware for finding duplicate digital photographs?

Few more to look at.

DupeLocater
http://www.freewareweb.com/cgi-bin/archive.cgi?ID=205
http://www.silentdragon.com/download...upeLocater.exe
http://ftp.tdcnorge.no/pub/windows/misc/DupeLocater.exe

SimilarImages
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multime...arImages.shtml
http://celebnamer.celebworld.ws/similarimages/

Duplicate File Finder
http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?27000000038018
http://www.gold-software.com/download6981.html

Anti-Twin
http://www.rosenthal-software.com/en/antitwin/

dupliFinder
http://mwynwood.com/blog/?p=99

PixScan 2000
http://www.themagestower.com/downloads/scan.php

DupKiller
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...upKiller.shtml
http://dupkiller.bira.ck.ua/en/index.shtml

Old December 9th 08, 11:54 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Thip

"Bill Davies" wrote in message
Is there better Windows freeware for finding duplicate digital
photographs?

Currently I use VisiPics V1.30 but I was wondering if there's better
software for finding duplicate photographs of different file sizes and CRC
hashes.

I think VisiPics heuristically compares photographs but does not look at
the EXIF data. Is there a better free duplicate JPEG finder out there?

I use DupPicFinder:

http://www.jonbondy.com/HomePage/software.htm