Genuine HELP is requested

Old January 17th 04, 06:35 AM
Princess

Default Genuine HELP is requested

Genuine HELP is requested

First off, thank you in advance those who lend their opinions, advice and
guidance. To those who critisize and complain, thank you for reading my
post.

OK, here it is. I want to know how to make water look interesting. Moving
water that is. How do I get it all soft looking. Like this
http://photo111.home.att.net/images/images/stream.jpg
or this
http://water.usgs.gov/pubs/FS/fs-027...-01/stream.jpg
or
http://www.radekaphotography.com/images/Stream.jpg

I have experimented, but the results are awful. What kind of film do you
think I should use. Most of the areas or places I will be would be forest
areas, or low light areas. I use both black and white and colour. I do use a
tripod, not there is no need to remind me of that little tidbit. Any and all
help is totally appreciated. Thanks again in advance.

--
T C Bulmer
http://members.shaw.ca/tcbulmer/index.html

Old January 17th 04, 09:00 AM
Grunthos the Flatulent

Those photos look like they've been taken with extremely long exposure
times... pick a windstill day (so the trees etc don't move), use some
low-speed film and just crank up the exposure time and the droplets of
water will blur into that nice white foam effect.

Martin

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 05:35:17 GMT, Princess defied attempts by his/her
major intestine to leap up and throttle his/her brain to recite:
[...]

I know what his secret is. He found a way to end SPAM. It involves
Lasers, GPS, and Traceroute.
martin *at* ockle *dot* org
Old January 17th 04, 07:45 PM
Michael Scarpitti

"Princess" wrote in message news:pQ3Ob.139282$ts4.117585@pd7tw3no...
[...]

Do realize this kind of photo has bee taken
11,348,589,125,980,478,146,783,678,143,781 times?

WHY DO IT AGAIN?!!! Try something DIFFERENT!
Old January 18th 04, 02:21 AM
Francis A. Miniter

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

[...]

Michael,

Even if the particular running water that she is interested in shooting
has been shot before at the exact time of day on the exact day of the
previous year under exactly the same weather conditions from exactly the
same location using exactly the same camera and film, why should she not
try her hand at it. (And, I would bet that the other car was not a 1964
lime-green Pontiac with positraction, even though it looked like it from
a distance!)

Besides, even if a work of art is not her objective, it is a great
learning experience. Why be so negative? If we took the point of view
espoused in your response, we all would give up photography, as very
little new can be photographed. And we would all give up writing for
the same reason. But it matters how a photograph is made, both in the
camera and in the darkroom, and it matters how an idea is expressed in
words. It is the infinite varieties of expression, photographic,
literary or otherwise, that make a creative activity worthwhile.

Francis A. Miniter

Old January 18th 04, 03:43 PM
BlackVelvet

Are you using a digital camera?

Old January 19th 04, 01:27 AM
Princess

No digital. Canon AT-1 is my camera of choice right now.

Old January 19th 04, 01:30 AM
Princess

Thank you very much Francis, I couldnt and didnt say it better. You got it
right on. A little (lot) of experience is what I am after.

Old January 19th 04, 03:39 AM
Michael Scarpitti

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

[...]

No. The point is to try using a long shutter speed, not to use a long
shutter speed to capture running water. That photo is a disease!
Old January 19th 04, 04:53 AM
Princess

"That photo is a disease!"
To who? You? And for that reason I should not try to capture this subject on
film? Seems to me that the whole reason I take photographs is for MY
pleasure not yours. Thanks anyhow, I appreciate you have an opinion on the
matter but that is NOT what I asked for. I asked for help and suggestions on
achieving the desired look. Why I want to is MY business not yours.

--
T C Bulmer
http://members.shaw.ca/tcbulmer/index.html
Kick you out to reply
om...

Old January 19th 04, 05:22 AM
Richard Poole

[...]

To solve the problem is not that great set the camera up on the tripod and
adjust the exposure time to somewhere between 1/4 sec. to 8 secs. depending
on the lighting conditions.
Experience has show that these exposure times don't sem to make a lot of
difference to the amount of blurr seen in the final image.
The low level of lighting under the trees in the forrest (bright overcast
day preferred) allows the use of 100 ISO film with exposures of up to 1
second at f22/32. If this fails use a pola filter to increase the exposure
time. Not using the filter for its pola effect but as a ND filter.(2 stops).
Note: I've never found a lot of use for a ND filter but have a pola in the
camera bag and use this for its ND effect.
It a fun way of making photographs and the results often surprise with the
neat effects the water creates.

-- Richard Poole
photographer
view the publication 'The Lighting Workshop' at;
http://www.lmphotonics.com/photoretreat/