Nikon Coolpix S1000 PJ

Old August 5th 09, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell[_2_]

Default Nikon Coolpix S1000 PJ

Interesting idea. A camera with a built-in projector. The camera
projects a VGA screen 40 inches across two feet away. I wonder if it
does PowerPoint? There is a company called Microvision in Bellevue,
Washington that has been working on a projector for cell phones. I
wonder if they had anything to do with this? Or, if not, if the Nikon
projector violates any of their patents?

This is an idea whose time has come, I think. And it is nice to see a
Coolpix that is not just another "me too" camera.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old August 5th 09, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Johnson

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 16:43:43 -0700, C J Campbell
wrote:

Interesting idea. A camera with a built-in projector. The camera
projects a VGA screen 40 inches across two feet away. I wonder if it
does PowerPoint? There is a company called Microvision in Bellevue,
Washington that has been working on a projector for cell phones. I
wonder if they had anything to do with this? Or, if not, if the Nikon
projector violates any of their patents?

This is an idea whose time has come, I think. And it is nice to see a
Coolpix that is not just another "me too" camera.

I've already done this very thing for grins and giggles long ago when on
one of many camping treks Crank up the brightness in the EFV and using the
diopter adjustment to focus it on the wall of a totally dark tent. You just
have to make sure your eyes are totally dark adapted. A fun way to watch
downsized DVD movies when traveling if you have no other means.

I've also used it when photographing aurora. Rather than subject my eye to
the brightness in the EVF, I'll project the display on my opened palm so I
can read the exposure and other needed information without loosing my
dark-adaptation. It's upside down (if you don't turn the camera over as
when projecting on a tent wall) but it's easy to mentally flip the info.

Old August 5th 09, 02:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Johnson

wrote:

[...]

Heh, I just found something that works even better. Due to the larger size
of the LCD display there's more candle-power available from it (similar
brightness as the EVF, but a larger area). Stacking two good-quality 3.5" x
5.25" fresnel lenses for maximum f-ratio, I now don't even need dark
adapted eyes to view the screen projected on a light-gray wall in a
darkened room. I think I'm going to have to make an easy to attach,
collapses-flat, "movie "projector add-on" for my cameras. Stashed in the
docs-flap of my camera bag for future camping trek fun. Plus I'll always
have a handy fire-starter handy.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Old August 5th 09, 12:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 16:43:43 -0700, C J Campbell, who may be the
first kiddie on his block to buy a Coolpix S1000pj, wrote:

Interesting idea. A camera with a built-in projector. The camera
projects a VGA screen 40 inches across two feet away. I wonder if it
does PowerPoint? There is a company called Microvision in Bellevue,
Washington that has been working on a projector for cell phones. I
wonder if they had anything to do with this? Or, if not, if the Nikon
projector violates any of their patents?

This is an idea whose time has come, I think. And it is nice to see a
Coolpix that is not just another "me too" camera.

An idea whose time has come? I don't think so, and neither does
Thom Hogan :

Two things come to mind in looking at the latest Coolpix:

1. Most of the Coolpix models now have a simple,
look-alike nature to them. It's difficult to distinguish
one from another, and the same basic design seems to be
iterated over and over, with the main changes coming
internally. On the one hand, this is good, as it means
that time and money aren't being wasted on style, even in
the so-called Style (S) lineup. But at the same time, it
doesn't appear to me that much is happening functionally,
either. More and more the Coolpix lineup feels like
"placeholders," cameras that are expected to sell just
because of the Nikon name and give Nikon a presence across
all cameras. I now count almost two dozen Coolpix models
that have had the same basic S570/S640 design. So if I have
an S600, why would I buy an S640? It's not as if there's a
huge pent-up demand for people buying their first camera.
And the minor tweaks don't exactly make for much in the way
of upgrade demand, either.

2. Nikon has long had someone in the Coolpix product
management team with a gimmick fetish. Indeed, gimmicks
date back all the way to the original Coolpix models: the
Coolpix 300 had the ability to write on an image displayed
on the screen with a pen. The long-forgotten SQ was like a
piece of jewelry to be worn. And innovation happens every
now and again with the Coolpix, the 900 being the start of
a long line of twist-and-shoot cameras. But the interesting
thing is that none of these things seem to last long--they
make a big splash at introduction, mainly because Nikon
gives them a big splash. But public acceptance isn't exactly
all that great. So the addition of a mini-projector in a
Coolpix seems to fall in this tradition: interesting, but
not exactly something that's going to shake up the market
(even more so because the technology is available to anyone,
so if Nikon really has found something that people want in
their pocket cameras, it'll be copied by everyone within a
year). Worse still, the mini-projector is already available
as an add-on, and many of them will work with multiple items
you own: phone, camcorder, camera, netbook, etc. Thus I don't
see a built-in projector being anything except less flexible.

#2 is indicative of a theme I've been harping on as of late:
the Japanese camera makers have lost the pulse of the real
camera user. While I don't object to having a video capability
in my camera, that feature doesn't make my camera a better
still camera. Meantime, it still doesn't appear that they
understand simple needs, like true raw histograms, a "freeze
all settings" button for panos, bracketing that actually works
for HDR, and a host of other simple things that would make our
camera a better still camera. Of course, asking for such things
in a Coolpix would probably get the Japanese engineers laughing
all the way to the Salaryman bar, but um, hey guys, all those
things would have been better additions to the P6000 than an
Ethernet interface that is only usable for MyPictureTown.

I don't mind seeing Nikon try oddball things like putting a
projector into a Coolpix (see my "play" comments below the
picture at the top of the page). I do mind that things that
should be high on the list of functional improvements don't
seem to be on any camera's update list. My own personal list
of needed still camera improvements--many of which could be
done easily in firmware--now sprawls to several pages, even
in bullet list form.

You might wonder why I'm using the latest Coolpix introductions
to repeat this particular design rant. That's because nowhere is
it more obvious than in the Coolpix line that Nikon's products are
just more me-to designs. How do you sell a Nikon over a Sony or
Canon compact? Brand name? Price? Ubiquity? How about trying "it's
a better camera, silly!" There was a time when that was true of
many Coolpix models. It is far less true today, if it is even
still true at all. In the Coolpix line Nikon has transformed
themselves from "the better camera maker" to "we're a consumer
electronics company, too." An obvious question to ask is
this: at what point will that happen with DSLRs, too?

One reason why the Coolpix models all look so me-to is that Nikon
uses "reference design" bases created by another company, as do
many of the compact camera makers. There are perhaps a half dozen
providers of these reference designs, of which three seem to be
getting most of the action. Essentially, what happens is that you
get much of the camera part pre-done for you (CPU, memory, display,
flash, sensor, ADC, SD write mechanism, etc.). Around that you wrap
your own lens, case, battery, and menu system. Some base designers
have allowances for imaging ASICs, like EXPEED and DIGIC, while
some go further and provide lens and other goodies. But just as
with film, it's actually the user interaction that makes or breaks
a camera. Getting the camera set for what you want it to do, then
feeling that it "performs" as you do it. That's within Nikon's
control, and that's the part they keep failing at for me.

Sorry, Nikon, still no Coolpix for me. Ironically, a true consumer
electronics firm, Panasonic, seems to make a better camera than you do.

http://www.bythom.com/

Old August 5th 09, 03:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-08-04 18:03:28 -0700, Bob Johnson

wrote:

[...]

That's a pretty cool idea, there.

Old August 5th 09, 03:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-08-05 04:41:44 -0700, ASAAR said:

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 16:43:43 -0700, C J Campbell, who may be the
first kiddie on his block to buy a Coolpix S1000pj, wrote:

Interesting idea. A camera with a built-in projector. The camera
projects a VGA screen 40 inches across two feet away. I wonder if it
does PowerPoint? There is a company called Microvision in Bellevue,
Washington that has been working on a projector for cell phones. I
wonder if they had anything to do with this? Or, if not, if the Nikon
projector violates any of their patents?

This is an idea whose time has come, I think. And it is nice to see a
Coolpix that is not just another "me too" camera.

An idea whose time has come? I don't think so, and neither does
Thom Hogan :

I think Thom underestimates how much people like to chimp. This is a
consumer camera, not a pro camera, and it does not pretend to anything
else. I will not get a Coolpix camera for the same reason that Thom
Hogan or you or many other photographers will not get one. They are
lousy cameras. Some of us want real tools. But you know what? We
represent a tiny minority of photographers. Most people don't want the
same things out of a camera that we do. I bet the projector idea is a
hit.

Of course, many people have become wealthy by betting against me.

Old August 5th 09, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris H

In message 2009080507462450073-christophercampbellremovethis@hotmailcom
, C J Campbell writes
On 2009-08-05 04:41:44 -0700, ASAAR said:

[...]

I agree completely

They are lousy cameras.

No.. They are designed to do a job and do it very well *for the price
and size*

Some of us want real tools.

No you have a different requirement that is all. The cool pix avery good
for what they are designed for. A DSLR fails miserably as something you
can put in your pocket or purse. The P&S market is not the same as the
DSLR market.

But you know what? We represent a tiny minority of photographers. Most
people don't want the same things out of a camera that we do.

I would not go that far as several companies make a lot of money selling
DSLRs. I wonder what the ratio of DLSR to P&S is.

Also given that mobile phones have 8Mp cameras with auto focus, zoom,
flash, video (like the D300s :-) I wonder how much longer the P&S
market has. It will disappear to the phone market in 5 years I think.

I was at an 18th party a week ago and not one person had a P&S they were
all using their phones.

I bet the projector idea is a hit.

I would agree with you.

Of course, many people have become wealthy by betting against me.

Many?

Old August 5th 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cellphone Luddite

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 16:05:52 +0100, Chris H wrote:

Also given that mobile phones have 8Mp cameras with auto focus, zoom,
flash, video (like the D300s :-) I wonder how much longer the P&S
market has. It will disappear to the phone market in 5 years I think.

I was at an 18th party a week ago and not one person had a P&S they were
all using their phones.

Except for those people who don't use phones. Which is pretty much the same
as most other wildlife and adventure photographers that I've ever known.
Those who require lightweight, sturdy, and capable cameras to get into more
remote and rugged places where others fear to go, where a phone is of zero
use. To this day I've never owned nor ever used a mobile phone. I have
never found any reason for ever needing or wanting one. This includes the
typical "emergency use" reasons that most people create for themselves. If
I have created a life or death emergency for myself that I can't resolve on
my own then I'd rather die. The desire to be tethered to a phone or
connected with other trite phone-heads is even less. Those who need to
contact me know where I am, we talk face to face like humans should.
Without the nonverbals in human communication you will always be
misunderstood to some extent, the nonverbals conveying 90% or more of the
meanings behind your words. Text alone being the poorest vehicle of all for
conveying true intent and meaning. This is why I don't mind using text with
strangers. I could care less if they understand me or not. They deserve
nothing more than simple text. They are of little to no concern nor of any
real value in my life.

Those whom I don't want to have contact me nor have any need to contact me
don't know where I am. Nor should they be allowed to contact me "at THEIR
convenience". If you're going to want to contact me by voice communication
you're going to have to do it the right way, in person, face to face. It
takes a sincere effort to speak with me. If you want to talk with me you
knock on my door, get in your canoe and paddle out to where I am, or start
hiking/biking on the trail that I last told you I was going to be on and
try to catch up to where I am. Those who can't or won't aren't worth
knowing. All situations well resolved by not using a mobile phone, nor any
phone for that matter. Even my home phone is only used for outgoing
messages the rare few times I need to contact some faceless corporation,
it's never used for discussions with people I know personally, otherwise
it's only for modem use. Connected to the internet 24/7 downloading
important data. (Aurora alerts, ebook floods in the technical groups,
etc.). Email is also despised from people I know in person, they know this.
I think I've used a phone about 3 times so far this year for voice
communication. Seems about right and typical for my needs. Total voice
phone-time amounting to probably less than 8 minutes per year.

Besides, given that P&S cameras are now easily surpassing the performance
of dSLRs, by your reasoning cellphones are going to put dSLRs out of
commission even faster.
Old August 6th 09, 07:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Exposing Wannabee Idiots

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 15:11:32 +1000, Bob Larter
wrote:

The P&S kook wrote:
Besides, given that P&S cameras are now easily surpassing the performance
of dSLRs,

HAHAHAhahahahaha!

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml

If they can keep pace with medium-format sensors, something that no dSLR on
earth can do, then they are most assuredly surpassing the performance of
dSLRs.

Enjoy your laugh. However you won't the be the last one to laugh.

Old August 6th 09, 09:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris H

In message , Cellphone
Luddite writes
On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 16:05:52 +0100, Chris H wrote:

Also given that mobile phones have 8Mp cameras with auto focus, zoom,
flash, video (like the D300s :-) I wonder how much longer the P&S
market has. It will disappear to the phone market in 5 years I think.

I was at an 18th party a week ago and not one person had a P&S they were
all using their phones.

Except for those people who don't use phones.

Well in the UK EVERYONE from the age of about 10 has a mobile phone and
90% of the will have cameras. SO I think the P&S market will die out
over the next 5 years

Which is pretty much the same
as most other wildlife and adventure photographers that I've ever known.
Those who require lightweight, sturdy, and capable cameras to get into more
remote and rugged places where others fear to go, where a phone is of zero
use.

That is not appropriate territory for a P&S or camera-phone

To this day I've never owned nor ever used a mobile phone.

Then you are a very small minority for someone in a modern
industrialised country. I don't know a photographer without one.... they
need to talk to clients, agents etc when out and about.

Besides, given that P&S cameras are now easily surpassing the performance
of dSLRs, by your reasoning cellphones are going to put dSLRs out of
commission even faster.

I did not say that at all. I said the camera-phone is putting the P&S
out of business. I think the P&S camera has about 5 years left.

The DSLR is a different market entirely.