Buying a lenshood on Amazon

Old August 11th 09, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Celcius

Default Buying a lenshood on Amazon

Hi all!
I was shopping for a CANON ET-67 HOOD for my EF 100mm f 2.8 Macro USM.
Henry's has one for $74 + taxes (13% in Canada).
Thinking I might have it at a better price, I went to Amazon.com and surely
enough, the same item was $35.35.
However, going to my cart, I suddenly found out that ADORAMA was charging me
$47.95 just to send it to me. This adds up to $83.30 USD, not countig the
exchange rate as well as possible duties / taxes....
Is this for real? I'm sure I could send the equivalent from my local post
office to Hawaii for less than $12 CAD!
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Marcel

Old August 11th 09, 08:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
M J Wyllie

Celcius wrote:
Hi all!
I was shopping for a CANON ET-67 HOOD for my EF 100mm f 2.8 Macro USM.
Henry's has one for $74 + taxes (13% in Canada).
Thinking I might have it at a better price, I went to Amazon.com and
surely enough, the same item was $35.35.
However, going to my cart, I suddenly found out that ADORAMA was
charging me $47.95 just to send it to me. This adds up to $83.30 USD,
not countig the exchange rate as well as possible duties / taxes....
Is this for real? I'm sure I could send the equivalent from my local
post office to Hawaii for less than $12 CAD!
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Marcel

Ebay normally has no-names for a fraction of the price!

--
M.J.Wyllie.

Old August 11th 09, 09:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
me[_5_]

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 13:02:51 -0400, "Celcius"
wrote:

Hi all!
I was shopping for a CANON ET-67 HOOD for my EF 100mm f 2.8 Macro USM.
Henry's has one for $74 + taxes (13% in Canada).
Thinking I might have it at a better price, I went to Amazon.com and surely
enough, the same item was $35.35.
However, going to my cart, I suddenly found out that ADORAMA was charging me
$47.95 just to send it to me. This adds up to $83.30 USD, not countig the
exchange rate as well as possible duties / taxes....
Is this for real? I'm sure I could send the equivalent from my local post
office to Hawaii for less than $12 CAD!
Any advice would be appreciated.

Or make your own.

http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/hoods/Can...-Macro-USM.php

Old August 11th 09, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Celcius

"Celcius" wrote in message
Hi all!
I was shopping for a CANON ET-67 HOOD for my EF 100mm f 2.8 Macro USM.
Henry's has one for $74 + taxes (13% in Canada).
Thinking I might have it at a better price, I went to Amazon.com and
surely enough, the same item was $35.35.
However, going to my cart, I suddenly found out that ADORAMA was charging
me $47.95 just to send it to me. This adds up to $83.30 USD, not countig
the exchange rate as well as possible duties / taxes....
Is this for real? I'm sure I could send the equivalent from my local post
office to Hawaii for less than $12 CAD!
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Marcel

Thanks all!
I'm going to see whether I can make my own or buy one on E-Bay
Marcel

Old August 11th 09, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Celcius

"Celcius" wrote in message
Hi all!
I was shopping for a CANON ET-67 HOOD for my EF 100mm f 2.8 Macro USM.
Henry's has one for $74 + taxes (13% in Canada).
Thinking I might have it at a better price, I went to Amazon.com and
surely enough, the same item was $35.35.
However, going to my cart, I suddenly found out that ADORAMA was charging
me $47.95 just to send it to me. This adds up to $83.30 USD, not countig
the exchange rate as well as possible duties / taxes....
Is this for real? I'm sure I could send the equivalent from my local post
office to Hawaii for less than $12 CAD!
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Marcel

I went to E-Bay and found something similat for $30 all told (including
delivery).
Thanks.
I will have to remember that
Marcel

Old August 12th 09, 02:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:33:36 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:

Welcome to the World of scumbag shipping padders populated by the
likes of Amazon, Adorama, B&H, etc.

You've once again proved your ignorance and shown that where usenet
"scumbags" are concerned, you're near the top of the list. FWIW,
Adorama's high shipping cost is *only* due to using UPS to ship to
Canada. For shipping to the USA, all of their ET-67 lens hoods
(there are two sligtly different models, Canon's LNHET67 for $29.95
and the 4660A002 for $39.95) say this for shipping costs :

We Offer Free Shipping (7-10 Day delivery) for this item when
ordered through our Web Site.
Free shipping is for the continental USA only.

Padded prices, you say?

Old August 12th 09, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DRS

"Helen Oster" wrote in message

[...]

I think that is a little uncalled for. The cost is high because we
ship UPS - this enables customers to track their purchases, and also
ensures that if the package is damaged or goes missing, that it can be
replaced.

We actually negotiate an extremely competitive rate with UPS, and pass
it ALL on to our customers.

UPS is prohibitively expensive for all shipments outside the US. You should
always offer your customers the option of USPS.

Old August 12th 09, 07:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-08-12 05:14:33 -0700, Helen Oster said:

On Aug 12, 12:33*am, RichA wrote:
Celcius wrote:
[...]

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

www.adorama.com

Thank you for your helpful and informative post.

Ignore anything RichA has to say. He rarely has anything nice to say
about anyone or anything, but seems to spend most of his time on
Usenet, making defamatory remarks about various companies and products
and extolling his pet theories on plastic vs. metal cameras. Few people
here regard him as an asset to this group.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old August 12th 09, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Celcius

On Aug 11, 8:02 pm, "Celcius" wrote:
Hi all!
I was shopping for a CANON ET-67 HOOD for my EF 100mm f 2.8 Macro USM.
Henry's has one for $74 + taxes (13% in Canada).
Thinking I might have it at a better price, I went to Amazon.com and
surely
enough, the same item was $35.35.
However, going to my cart, I suddenly found out thatADORAMAwas charging me
$47.95 just to send it to me. This adds up to $83.30 USD, not countig the
exchange rate as well as possible duties / taxes....
Is this for real? I'm sure I could send the equivalent from my local post
office to Hawaii for less than $12 CAD!
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Marcel

Would you like to contact me directly, and I'll see what we might be
able to do to help?

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Too late, Helen.
I bought the article from E-Bay.
It might not be the "real Canon", but if it fits, so be it.
Consider this: to pay twice more than the object costs for shipping is
unreal. On the Web, I didn't have amy choice but to pay an outrageous price.
Perhaps Adorama ought to think about its shipping policy or forget about
selling outside the US.
Think about it for a minute. Would you pay more than twice the price for an
object?
That's it. Adorama is now out out the question for me. I'll buy elsewhere.
You are simply NOT competitive.
Take care,
Marcel

Old August 12th 09, 10:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Gartshore[_3_]

In article , docnews2011
@gmail.com says...
On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 05:14:33 -0700 (PDT), Helen Oster

I have bought several items by mail order from Adorama over the last
few years.

I live in the UK and UPS shipping costs are very high. So I almost
always ask sellers to use USPS instead. I have found USPS to be much
cheaper and, so far, having ordered upwards of 100 items from the USA,
99% reliable.

Thanks for that Bruce, worth knowing..

--
Tony.