canon SX10is - max memory card capacity

Old July 15th 09, 02:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default canon SX10is - max memory card capacity

In article , John Navas
wrote:

My experience in the disk drive business says otherwise.

google's study was with over 100,000 disk drives. how many have you
evaluated?

Well over a million. Perhaps Google's usable isn't typical.

you personally evaluated over 1 million drives? bull****

Where did I say that?

in the post to which i responded. here it is again:

how many have you
evaluated?

Well over a million.

No, my employers and clients evaluated the
drives, with some of the work being done by me and my staff, some of the
work being done by other people.

so you didn't actually evaluate that many and it's not really a
controlled test either. got it.

google's
survey is very representative of drive reliability.

Google runs server farms that almost certainly have access patterns
totally different from average consumers.

as did your 'test.'
Old July 15th 09, 10:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bob Larter
wrote:

Hell, you don't even need a disk failure, a power glitch will cause
similar damage.

only if you don't have a ups.
Old July 15th 09, 10:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bob Larter
wrote:

I've found SMART reporting to be pretty useless in the real world.

me too. of the disk failures i've had in the last few years, they all
said smart was normal.
Old July 16th 09, 02:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

John Navas wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 07:52:21 -0700, John McWilliams
wrote in :

John Navas wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 05:33:30 GMT, "David J Taylor"
wrote in
:

John Navas wrote:

... what I do is erase, not format,
usually by Moving, rather than Copying,
the folder of images to the computer.

The advantage of erasing over formatting is that
recovery of images is still possible.

Bzzzt. Wrong on two counts:

A.) You (at least, I) can recover from a reformatted card

If the format overwrites the directory, as is often the case, then
recovery is more difficult and problematic than with deletion of the
file, which leaves the directory entry intact.

I disagree.

B.) If you do not erase or reformat on computer, you have a backup on
the card until you reformat in camera.

But you have previously stated that you delete as the card is downloaded
to the computer (via 'move'), so it isn't much of a backup.

With erasure in the computer, I still have backup on the card until the
card is overwritten.

Gracious apology accepted.

Thank you, but I have nothing for which to apologize- uh, do I?

--
john mcwilliams
Old July 16th 09, 12:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Default Flash Memory Fragmentation -- Myths and Facts

Mr. Strat wrote:
Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
John Navas wrote:
"Flash Memory Fragmentation -- Myths and Facts"

[John Navas reads web pages]

When did he learn how to read?

In school. Reading and understanding are different skills, though.

-Wolfgang
Old July 16th 09, 06:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Playing with Red-Herring Eaters

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 13:30:53 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg

Reading and understanding are different skills, though.

-Wolfgang

Just learning that now, are you? Now that it's been brought to your
attention how many times that you failed to comprehend what you read. Then
your nose had to be dragged through it time and time again until you
started to realize where you went wrong. Not fully comprehending, but it's
a start. Not much of one, but at least it's a start.

Old July 16th 09, 07:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 07:49:42 -0700, John Navas wrote:

A million or so write cycles typically. Wasting a high proportion of
them defragmenting to no good end is not particularly sensible even on a
portable computing device.

Actually has no significant impact on life. Even daily defragmenting
would add only a nominal 365 write cycles per year.

That's not just ignorance, it shows marked stupidity, but for you
that's par for the course. Even one write cycle per day is
unattainable. It's at least two cycles per day if all files are
copied to another drive, the flash card is formatted (or all files
deleted) and then the files are copied back to the card. Some
defrag programs show visually how blocks are shifted dozens, perhaps
hundreds of times to different locations before finally coming to
rest in their "defragged" positions. Defragging a flash card only
once can easily be equivalent to several years' worth of normal
camera use by most people.

Old July 16th 09, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

ASAAR wrote:
[...]

That's why you shouldn't defrag a flash card using it as default
defrag workspace. Copy off, reformat. copy back.

--
Chris Malcolm
Old July 16th 09, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASSAR The Ignorant TROLL Strikes Again

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:26:40 -0400, ASAAR wrote:

Defragging a flash card only
once can easily be equivalent to several years' worth of normal
camera use by most people.

Ah, it warms my heart. Thanks for proving again what, in your mind, you
consider "normal" and "most people" like yourself. You might come near a
camera memory card just once every few years in your life to move files
around that much. To you "most people" are those who don't own a camera,
don't own any flash cards, and only live imaginary lives on usenet
pretending to be photographers. Clearly proved by what you consider as
"normal camera use by most people".

Old July 16th 09, 10:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

Bob Larter wrote:
IME, UPSes fail more often than the power does, & I've seen dozens of
failed/intermittant power cords or sockets over the last 20 years.

Obviously that _VERY_ much depends upon which country you are talking
about (you didn't say).
In western Europe you get a power outage once in a blue moon, in the US
in my experience mabye a dozen times a year, predominently in winter,
and e.g. in the middle of the bush in Africa you can be happy if the
generator produces a sufficiently stable voltage at all.

jue