Anyone ever take the Nikon School Course?

Old November 13th 05, 06:12 AM
SCD

Default Anyone ever take the Nikon School Course?

I've done a fair amount of photography, have had 3 different swivel
Coolpix models, but I just got a new Nikon D50 and am new to digital
SLR.

I see that there will be a Nikon pair of courses in my area of No. CA.

I do not need any help in downloading and editing digital images, I've
been doing this for several years, but am wondering if the daylong
class would still be useful in getting me up to speed on my new SLR.

SCD

Old November 13th 05, 06:21 AM
Paul Rubin

SCD writes:
I do not need any help in downloading and editing digital images, I've
been doing this for several years, but am wondering if the daylong
class would still be useful in getting me up to speed on my new SLR.

I haven't taken one myself but I've heard many favorable comments
from people who have taken them.
Old November 13th 05, 12:15 PM
railfan

I attended the Nikon School twice a very long time ago, even though
I've been a Canon user forever. These ones were great for overall
photographic knowledge, they did not dwell on Nikon equipment or how to
use them, were more general in nature. Getting more out of your
camera, composition, etc. They could be different these days, might
be worth trying to find out, but I assume they are along the same line.

If one were held locally I'd probably attend again, just for the sheer
enjoyment of seeing a very professional presentation on photography.
And I might learn something too!

What's the cost these days? I think it was around $25.00 when I
attended about 20 years ago.

Bob Boudreau
Canada

Old November 13th 05, 04:00 PM

The Nikon School is an excellent day long presentation. It's primarily about
taking pictures with any camera. There is no attempt to stress Nikon
cameras. In other words, not camera specific. You'll enjoy it.
Old Bob

Old November 17th 05, 09:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

ah, no longer $25!
the day (from 9:30 to 4:30 is now $119 as I recall).

But this is less than 4 miles from my house and certainly couldn't be
more convenient.

SCD

Old November 17th 05, 02:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 22:12:49 -0800, SCD wrote:

I've done a fair amount of photography,

I took one (1.5 days long) in 1974. I'd had my Nikkormat for a couple
years but had never read anything about how to take good photographs.

The course was the most valuable and practical thing I could have
done. I still use many of the things they told me every time I pick up
the DSLR.

DuncanC

Old November 18th 05, 03:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Unfortunately, they're now offering only "Introduction to Digital SLR
Photography", probably concentrating on the digital aspects, and "Next Steps
in Digital Photography - Streamlined Workflow Photography". The "Intro . .
.." all-day session is $119, but it does include 3 books: _Nikon School of
Photography Handbook_, _Nikon Guide to SLR Photography_ and _Nikon Guide to
Digital Photography_

Are these books worth it for those of us still using film, with a compact
digital on the side (not an SLR)?

Maris.

Old November 18th 05, 06:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"railfan" wrote in message
oups.com...
I attended the Nikon School twice a very long time ago, even though
I've been a Canon user forever. These ones were great for overall
photographic knowledge, they did not dwell on Nikon equipment or how to
use them, were more general in nature. Getting more out of your
camera, composition, etc. They could be different these days, might
be worth trying to find out, but I assume they are along the same line.

If one were held locally I'd probably attend again, just for the sheer
enjoyment of seeing a very professional presentation on photography.
And I might learn something too!

What's the cost these days? I think it was around $25.00 when I
attended about 20 years ago.

Bob Boudreau
Canada

Since I just purchased my D70s, I thought of taking the classes, however, I
talked to my camera store (where they also offer classes specific to my
camera) and suggested that I take their classes and then after those (so I
learn the aspects of my particular unit), then take the Nikon classes.
Since the Camera Store classes are free (with the purchase of the camera),
and all the instructors use the same camera that made a lot of since to me,
so that is what I am going to do.

Years ago, a friend took a college photography course, and she remarked the
principals of taking good pictures remains the same, we just have different
and more (possibly) complex equipment now. She takes some good pics and I
take some good pics, it just depends on what we are taking shots of. I want
to know more about my camera specifically so I will take the classes
mentioned above, before I take the Nikon Class, and practice a lot with my
camera.

Monty