The lens puzzle

Old April 27th 05, 02:14 PM
Brian

Default The lens puzzle

I have a Canon EOS 300 film camera and a Canon EOS 300D digital
camera.
I have lens for both of these cameras
To makes it easy to understand I'll give the lens letters

A Lens (Lens for Canon EOS 300 film camera 27mm to 80mm zoom)
B Lens (Lens for Canon EOS 300D digital camera 18mm to 55mm zoom)
C Lens (Tamron-F AF 2 x Tele-converter (C-AF1 BBAR MC7))

Lens C will fit on both cameras
Lens A will fit on both cameras
Lens A will fit on the front of Lens C
Lens B won't fit in front of lens C.

Can someone tell me why Lens B won't fit on Lens C?

Regards Brian

Old April 27th 05, 02:33 PM
Tumbleweed

"Brian" wrote in message
news
I have a Canon EOS 300 film camera and a Canon EOS 300D digital
camera.
I have lens for both of these cameras
To makes it easy to understand I'll give the lens letters

A Lens (Lens for Canon EOS 300 film camera 27mm to 80mm zoom)
B Lens (Lens for Canon EOS 300D digital camera 18mm to 55mm zoom)
C Lens (Tamron-F AF 2 x Tele-converter (C-AF1 BBAR MC7))

Lens C will fit on both cameras
Lens A will fit on both cameras
Lens A will fit on the front of Lens C
Lens B won't fit in front of lens C.

Can someone tell me why Lens B won't fit on Lens C?

Regards Brian

Same reason it won't fit on extension tubes either. The rear back projection
on this lens has a larger diameter than on standard EF lenses. As a result
it won't fit in the "hole" through the middle of tubes and convertors.
(Don't know if this applies to Canon's own gear) Even Kenko tubes
advertised as suitable for Canon Digital don't fit.

Old April 27th 05, 03:05 PM
jimkramer

"Brian" wrote in message
news
I have a Canon EOS 300 film camera and a Canon EOS 300D digital
camera.
I have lens for both of these cameras
To makes it easy to understand I'll give the lens letters

A Lens (Lens for Canon EOS 300 film camera 27mm to 80mm zoom)
B Lens (Lens for Canon EOS 300D digital camera 18mm to 55mm zoom)
C Lens (Tamron-F AF 2 x Tele-converter (C-AF1 BBAR MC7))

Lens C will fit on both cameras
Lens A will fit on both cameras
Lens A will fit on the front of Lens C
Lens B won't fit in front of lens C.

Can someone tell me why Lens B won't fit on Lens C?

Regards Brian

Because B is an EF-S lens and id won't fit on the standard EOS mounts. Just
the 300D, 350D and the 20D right now.

EF lenses will mount on an EF-S mount,
but EF-S lenses will not mount on an EF mount.

Jim

Old April 27th 05, 06:19 PM
Matt Ion

Jim Townsend wrote:

Brian wrote:

I have a Canon EOS 300 film camera and a Canon EOS 300D digital
camera.
I have lens for both of these cameras
To makes it easy to understand I'll give the lens letters

B Lens (Lens for Canon EOS 300D digital camera 18mm to 55mm zoom)
C Lens (Tamron-F AF 2 x Tele-converter (C-AF1 BBAR MC7))

Can someone tell me why Lens B won't fit on Lens C?

The EF 18-55 lens has a modified mount.. It's known as EF-S
The back element projects into the camera futher than the standard
EF mount.

I've never tried to put an 18-55 lens on a Tamron converter, but this
is most likely why it won't fit.

You also want to be careful putting the EF-S lens onto the old EOS body,
that the mirror doesn't hit the longer back element of the lens...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0517-1, 04/26/2005
Tested on: 4/27/2005 10:19:28 AM

Old April 27th 05, 09:09 PM
Roy

"Brian" wrote in message
news
I have a Canon EOS 300 film camera and a Canon EOS 300D digital
camera.
I have lens for both of these cameras
To makes it easy to understand I'll give the lens letters

A Lens (Lens for Canon EOS 300 film camera 27mm to 80mm zoom)
B Lens (Lens for Canon EOS 300D digital camera 18mm to 55mm zoom)
C Lens (Tamron-F AF 2 x Tele-converter (C-AF1 BBAR MC7))

Lens C will fit on both cameras
Lens A will fit on both cameras
Lens A will fit on the front of Lens C
Lens B won't fit in front of lens C.

Can someone tell me why Lens B won't fit on Lens C?

Regards Brian

Your listing of what fits where has one very obvious omission.
"Lens B on which if any Cameras".

If it won't go onto the Film Camera, then you should have been able to work
out that it is not going to fit on the Film Tele Converter either.

As to why, because it will not be usable on 35mm cameras due to the small
image circle which is designed to match the small digital sensor.

I rather suspect you already knew all this and were just testing our
abilities.

Roy G

Old April 28th 05, 08:57 AM
Tumbleweed

"Roy" wrote in message
"Brian" wrote in message
news If it won't go onto the Film Camera, then you should have been able to
work out that it is not going to fit on the Film Tele Converter either.

As to why, because it will not be usable on 35mm cameras due to the small
image circle which is designed to match the small digital sensor.

I rather suspect you already knew all this and were just testing our
abilities.

Roy G

Did you topple into the trap trap?

The small image circle is no problem through a teleconverer (or extension
tubes) designed for film when they are used on an APS sized sensor. The
only issue is physical, not optical. It's purely mechanical interference
because of the oversized butt end of an efs lens.

A fellow suffere in Belgium took a Dremel to one of his extension tubes and
increased the aperture in the the plastic contact screen.
His EFS lens now fits. Sadly you can't do that with a teleconvertor because
there's a lump of glass in the way ;o)

Old April 29th 05, 12:10 AM
Brian

Matt Ion wrote:

Jim Townsend wrote:

Brian wrote:

[...]

Thanks Matt and others for your replies in solving this mystery

Lucky for me that I mainly want to put old lens onto the new camera.

Regards Brian

Old April 29th 05, 12:12 AM
Brian

"Roy" wrote:

"Brian" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thankd Roy.
Lens C fits on the Canon 300 EOS 35mm file camera.

Regards Brian