Manfrotto QR on Kirk King Cobra and Wimberley?

Old March 19th 04, 06:48 PM
Bill Hilton

Default Manfrotto QR on Kirk King Cobra and Wimberley?

From: "Richard

Is it possible to use a Manfrotto (357 - long plate) Quick Release
system on either a Kirk King Cobra and/or Wimberley head?

It looks like the Cobra has a fixed Arca QR system, but not the
Wimberley.

I have the Wimberley Sidekick and also the bigger pivot head Wimberley and both
came with the Arca Swiss QR jaws. You should just email Clay Wimberley and ask
him if it will take the Manfrotto, it's a father-son business and he's good
about replying quickly.

Bill
Old March 20th 04, 03:13 AM
Scott Elliot

Instead of trying to find other systems to accept Manfrotto plates, I had
Acratech install an Arca system compatible quick release clamp on my
Manfrotto ball head.

The cost was quite reasonable and now I can use the same plates, clamps and
accessories for all my equipment.

If you do decide have the clamp changed, spend the extra $20 and get the
clamp with the spring loaded detent that keeps the plate from sliding out if
the clamp comes loose. It saved me some possible damage the first week I
had it. I was watching some birds as I installed my telephoto lens on my
ball head and did not notice that I had not fastened the clamp completely
shut. When I moved the tripod to get a better field of view I noticed that
the plate had slipped all the way to the detent. One quick trip to the
ground was avoided for the lens and camera.

A word about Acratech service. I sent my ball head by FedEx on a Monday, it
had to clear US customs, but I got an email on Tuesday saying they had
received it. On Thursday I received an email saying it had been modified
and shipped by FedEx. It had to clear Canadian customs, but I received it
on Friday. They did not even charge me for the labour or the adapter they
made to fit the ball head on the Manfrotto. That is a quality of service
above and beyond expectations.

Scott Elliot
http://www3.telus.net/selliot/

Richard wrote in message
Is it possible to use a Manfrotto (357 - long plate) Quick Release
system on either a Kirk King Cobra and/or Wimberley head?

It looks like the Cobra has a fixed Arca QR system, but not the
Wimberley.

I'd rather not have to get yet another QR system.

TIA.

Richard.