Nursing camera batteries?

Old January 20th 19, 11:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Nursing camera batteries?

Alkalines are so cheap and readily available, that I don't bother with
any rechargable stuff. Also greater capacity so less trouble.

except for the fact they won't work.

nearly all cameras use a custom lion battery pack. alkaline batteries
will not fit, let alone work.
Old January 20th 19, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Right you are, for cameras.

My comment was for all other uses where ever possible.

I should have qualified that.
Old January 20th 19, 11:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Right you are, for cameras.

My comment was for all other uses where ever possible.

I should have qualified that.

there is no universal best battery. it depends on the device.
Old January 20th 19, 11:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

Right you are, for cameras.

My comment was for all other uses where ever possible.

I should have qualified that.

rec.photo.digital usually means most of us are talking cameras, lenses, and
related stuff, unless things get drawn into vague off topic threads, and
flame wars.

which rarely happens...
Old January 21st 19, 01:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
newshound wrote:

To be fair a lot of flashguns seem to use AA, and I usually use
Alkalines in mine. So not totally OT.

with nimh, you will likely see faster recycle times (sometimes
dramatically so), depending on the flash.
Old January 22nd 19, 02:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 14:57:16 -0500, nospam

newshound wrote:

Before getting the X-T3 plus grip I used to number my batteries so that
I used them in order, discharging them fully before changing and then
recharging. In a relatively modest session today I took one of the grip
batteries into the red, and took a bit out of the camera battery which I
recharged via USB after downloading. I've got the grip on charge with
its dedicated charger now. Am I likely to shorten the life of batteries
by doing this?

discharging them fully is a very bad idea, although they're cheap
enough to where it's not worth worrying about.

I was probably not very clear. I meant removing them when the camera
stops working, I'd hope modern cameras stop at an appropriate point.

i didn't mean discharge to zero, and they do stop ahead of that.

the point is that lion batteries will last longer with many partial
discharges than fewer deep discharges.

I have recently read, in conjunction with suspected battery problems
on a third generation iPad, that it is desirable to discharge to zero
once a month or so. The explanation is that it allows battery
management system in the iPad to recalibrate itself. The explanatikon
was minimal and I didn't understand it. Does it make sense, even if
only in terms of iPads?

didn't mean discharging totally against a resistance, as we used to do
for NiCad batteries to avoid memory effect.

that is also a bad idea and there is no memory effect, at least the way
people think of it. the problem was mainly overcharging due to ****ty
chargers that didn't detect eoc.

I agree they are not a major item of expenditure, it's just the engineer
in me that wants to be efficient.

don't try to outguess the engineers who designed the camera's power
management.

use the batteries normally and don't worry about it.

Eric Stevens
Old January 22nd 19, 02:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

discharging them fully is a very bad idea, although they're cheap
enough to where it's not worth worrying about.

I was probably not very clear. I meant removing them when the camera
stops working, I'd hope modern cameras stop at an appropriate point.

i didn't mean discharge to zero, and they do stop ahead of that.

the point is that lion batteries will last longer with many partial
discharges than fewer deep discharges.

I have recently read, in conjunction with suspected battery problems
on a third generation iPad, that it is desirable to discharge to zero
once a month or so. The explanation is that it allows battery
management system in the iPad to recalibrate itself. The explanatikon
was minimal and I didn't understand it. Does it make sense, even if
only in terms of iPads?

it makes sense. what part did you not understand?

however, it doesn't need to be done anywhere near monthly and isn't
specific to apple products.

it also has nothing to do with what's best for long term battery life.
Old January 22nd 19, 09:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 20:25:52 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

discharging them fully is a very bad idea, although they're cheap
enough to where it's not worth worrying about.

I was probably not very clear. I meant removing them when the camera
stops working, I'd hope modern cameras stop at an appropriate point.

i didn't mean discharge to zero, and they do stop ahead of that.

the point is that lion batteries will last longer with many partial
discharges than fewer deep discharges.

I have recently read, in conjunction with suspected battery problems
on a third generation iPad, that it is desirable to discharge to zero
once a month or so. The explanation is that it allows battery
management system in the iPad to recalibrate itself. The explanatikon
was minimal and I didn't understand it. Does it make sense, even if
only in terms of iPads?

it makes sense. what part did you not understand?

The part where it contradicts your advice "discharging them fully is a
very bad idea... "