Magazine recommendations

Old October 16th 15, 12:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

Default Magazine recommendations

On 10/16/2015 04:32 AM, Pablo wrote:

trolling snipped

But it is true that to do anything hobby related something has to give. Or
we simply don't have hobbies :-(

Even if not professional photographers, I think most of the folks here
do not think of photography as a hobby.

It's a serious venture.
Old October 16th 15, 02:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-10-16 11:44:31 +0000, philo said:

On 10/16/2015 04:32 AM, Pablo wrote:

trolling snipped

But it is true that to do anything hobby related something has to give. Or
we simply don't have hobbies :-(

Even if not professional photographers, I think most of the folks here
do not think of photography as a hobby.

It's a serious venture.

....and we aren't sure that some of the folks here even own a camera of
any type other than the one in their phone.

That said you are correct, with spending on cameras and glass ranging
from a few $100 to tens of thousands, it is certainly a serious venture.

Savageduck

Old October 16th 15, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"philo" wrote in message
On 10/16/2015 04:32 AM, Pablo wrote:

trolling snipped

But it is true that to do anything hobby related something has to
give. Or
we simply don't have hobbies :-(

Even if not professional photographers, I think most of the folks here
do not think of photography as a hobby.

It's only a hobby for me and I have the pictures to prove it.

It's a serious venture.

Old October 16th 15, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article , "PAS"
wrote:

"philo" wrote in message
On 10/16/2015 04:32 AM, Pablo wrote:

trolling snipped

But it is true that to do anything hobby related something has to
give. Or
we simply don't have hobbies :-(

Even if not professional photographers, I think most of the folks here
do not think of photography as a hobby.

It's only a hobby for me and I have the pictures to prove it.

Pictures of you holding a camera?

It's a serious venture.

--
teleportation kills
Old October 16th 15, 04:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-10-16 11:36:57 +0000, philo said:

On 10/15/2015 11:49 PM, Savageduck wrote:

snip

yep...

and if I took 1000 shots a day and *one* was good, I'd be happy.

Here are 33 keepers from a mix of selections from two airshows in 2012
(1067 frames) and 2013 (1055 frames) some are shots pulled from
multi-shot (3-9 frame) captures during low altitude, highspeed passes, a
few are sequential. There were more keepers, but you can only put so
many shots into a presentation before you drive the viewers crazy.
http://adobe.ly/1Gh6keG

Well done and obviously with a lens beyond the capabilities of anything I own.

Most of those were shot with the Nikkor 70-300mm VR on a D300S. The
70-300mm is probably one of the best values that Nikkor have given us
in less expensive glass.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=10449088&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

So there was nothing too exotic in use.

Savageduck

Old October 16th 15, 04:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"android" wrote in message
In article , "PAS"
wrote:

"philo" wrote in message
On 10/16/2015 04:32 AM, Pablo wrote:

trolling snipped

But it is true that to do anything hobby related something has to
give. Or
we simply don't have hobbies :-(

Even if not professional photographers, I think most of the folks
here
do not think of photography as a hobby.

It's only a hobby for me and I have the pictures to prove it.

Pictures of you holding a camera?

The pictures from the camera.

It's a serious venture.

--
teleportation kills

Old October 16th 15, 04:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 10/16/2015 03:01 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 23:00:10 -0500, philo wrote:

On 10/15/2015 04:07 PM, Savageduck wrote:

snip
I've seen forumposts there people claim to make over 1K clicks per
event. And doing several of them per month. I'm not criticizing that, as
long that you are upfront with the usage of equipment that you sell. I
would like to do their post though!

That's a lot of shooting but I can believe it.
If I'm out all day I may take up to 500.

I have a 32gig card in one camera and a 64 gig in the other...

Have not filled either one yet.

At some all day events such as a day at the race track, or an airshow
where there is a target rich environment, and with moving targets I am
shooting 5-9 frames whenever a car or a plane is making a fast pass of
my position. So I have some events where I have an unsorted 1200-1600
frames. That number is fast reduced when rating and selecting keepers.
Those are unusual numbers for me. I usually find that I am mostly in the
30-200 frame range. Sometimes more sometimes less.

yep...

and if I took 1000 shots a day and *one* was good, I'd be happy.

That sounds almost on a par with monkeys writing Shakespeare. :-)

I started off with plates, and then cut film, and later the
extravagance of 36 exposure 35mm. I now seem to be naturally
parsimonious, especially compared with you. :-(

I agree that in a "target rich environment", most often some type of
sporting event, you take a lot of shots that will not be keepers.

But I also came up through film, and 1200-1600 frames seems difficult to
do at one event. I guess I need to go to an air show!
Back in the day when I shot sports- usually basketball or football- I
selected a "zone" on the playing field and waited for the action to come
into that zone. When I shot auto racing- oval dirt track, the Port Royal
(PA) Speedway- I picked turn one because of the high bank and I could
turn around and get the finish line.

If I took 1000 shots, even 100 shots, and only one was good, I would not
be happy. Usually when shooting action, I tried for about 25% "keepers".
In posed work, it was closer to 90%, and that was usually due to
bracketed shots.

--
Ken Hart

Old October 16th 15, 04:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 2015-10-16 11:44:31 +0000, philo said:

On 10/16/2015 04:32 AM, Pablo wrote:

trolling snipped

But it is true that to do anything hobby related something has to
give. Or
we simply don't have hobbies :-(

Even if not professional photographers, I think most of the folks here
do not think of photography as a hobby.

It's a serious venture.

...and we aren't sure that some of the folks here even own a camera of
any type other than the one in their phone.

That said you are correct, with spending on cameras and glass ranging
from a few $100 to tens of thousands, it is certainly a serious venture.

Quite a few of my friends are professional photographers and earn their
living either directly from their images or else by printing them for
others.

Just a handful of the people I know are like myself, who only do it for
their own enjoyment and if someone else likes the images (and
occasionally might even buy one) fine...
but if not...that's OK too.

As to iPhones vs "real camera's"

I know someone who uses his iPhone for just about everything he shoots...
does good quality photos and sells a very large number.

They are the type that often win prizes.

Personally I like the weird stuff better.

Old October 16th 15, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

If I took 1000 shots, even 100 shots, and only one was good, I would not
be happy. Usually when shooting action, I tried for about 25% "keepers".
In posed work, it was closer to 90%, and that was usually due to
bracketed shots.

it's mathematically impossible to have higher than a 33.3% keeper rate
when bracketing, assuming 3 bracketed shots, and that's only possible
if *every* single one is a winner.

for posed work, you should be able to get the exposure correct, without
the need to bracket.