A question for Applefans

Old September 13th 15, 02:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default A question for Applefans

On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 13:11:22 -0700, Savageduck
On 2015-09-09 14:23:46 +0000, Tony Cooper
said:

I wanted three features: ability to make and receive phone calls,
ability to take photos (but quality not an issue), touchscreen keypad.
The research required for this was glancing at each phone on display
in the AT&T store.

Additionally, I wanted a phone with a good history of dependibility.

Does this mean you aren't interested in the iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S+, or
the iPad Pro?

Presently, no. As I've said, owning the newest shiny object is not my
thing. Should I need a new phone or iPad, I would - of course -
consider them. I don't expect that I'd choose the 6S, though. I'd go
for the smaller 6. A large display area is not a feature that
interests me. Pocket-size is a more important feature to me.

The 6S is the smaller of the two, the 6+S the larger. Both were
announced this morning.
http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

I would like a larger screen, but there is a limit to the size that
fits in my pocket.

I usually carry my iPhone 5S in a shirt pocket, or if I am wearing a
T-shirt without a pocket, I am usually wearing a pair of cargo short
with an appropriate pocket for my phone.

When things cool down a bit out here, and if I am wearing my Columbia
vest (with many pockets), or a jacket the phone goes into one of those
pockets.
http://www.columbia.com/mens-silver-ridge-vest-AM1019.html?dwvar_AM1019_variationColor=339#start= 9

....and

I have checked, the iPhone 6+ or the new iPhone 6S+ will fit in any of
the pockets I might carry it in if (or when I buy one). What I don't
do, is carry any phone in a rear pocket.

I am not very good with belt holsters. For you it's different.

I am only good with some belt holsters, and only when needed. ;-)
https://db.tt/sE7iqgO8

Savageduck

Old September 13th 15, 02:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2015-09-10 18:06, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 17:34:53 -0400, Alan Browne

On 2015-09-09 20:24, Tony Cooper wrote:

My first mobile phone was hard-wired into the automobile. My second
was a bag phone. My third was a Motorola brick. From there on, each
phone became smaller and more compact...and, as far as I was
concerned, more convenient.

The trend seems to be reversing. While the weight and thickness don't
seem to be increasing, the width and length do. By the time my
youngest grandchild gets a phone, it may be the size of my flat screen
monitor.

Exaggerated a wee bit.

Yeah, and they said Trump would fade out of the picture before the end
of summer.

IMO - the iPhone 6 is about as wide and long as a smartphone should be
for most people (as are the comparable products from Samsung et al).

However, I got the iPhone 6P to get the better camera (better
stabilization) as well as an easier to read screen for data, news and
other things. I like it a lot and I believe it will serve me well for 5
years. (iphone 4 went a little over 4 years).

If one really wants to have only a _phone_ and little else, then there
are a lot of options. But giving up all that a smartphone can do seems
a bit silly given how cheap they are and how little they cost to
operate.

Yes, exactly. It was suggested that I should have purchased a basic
phone if all I wanted was a phone with minimal photographic ability.

But, the difference in price between a basic phone and an iPhone4 was
inconsequential to me. At the time, accepting a new contract required
some small payment for the phone. I don't remember how much. There
is no ongoing cost difference.

Despite being a Luddite, caveman, and anti-progress curmudgeon, I do
consider that my interests might change in the future. Buying the
iPhone4 was just leaving some options open.

So far, I haven't succumbed to any the advancements available to me. I
did download an app that provides bird call sounds. I was trying to
locate an owl that lives somewhere near my house. I have the Dropbox
app, but don't use it on the phone very often. I have a couple of
times.

The Facebook app is on my phone but I didn't add it. My wife, who
also has an iPhone, added Facebook and it may have appeared on both
phones because one of us downloaded it. Or, maybe it came with the
phone. I really don't know. I don't do Facebook.

The only other app is a crossword puzzle app that I downloaded one day
when I was in a doctor's office and had forgotten to bring a book.

I know that by admitting that I don't have or use apps to any extent
that I will have shocked and upset some readers, but I remain insist
ant that each of us should follow our own interests.

Shocking. That said, if you go the "other way" about it, you may find
more apps that interest you. It's not all about "getting apps", it's
about apps that apply to you and your interests.

Personally I don't have that many apps. And every few months I delete
those that I don't use much or at all.

I wish my Starbucks app would let me preorder, so I don't have to wait
on those stupid lines.

--
PeterN
Old September 13th 15, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-13 01:04:24 +0000, PeterN said:

On 9/9/2015 11:06 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

and the 5s is smaller yet and still offered.

You might have noticed, the comparison site features 5S, 6, 6+, 6S, and
6+S.

Moreover, the 5S is my current phone, I am well aware of its size,

you might be, however, tony likely is not. until the other day, he had
no idea what model he had.

No, I'm not au courant on phone models of the various makers of
phones. I see no reason to be.

nobody said you had to know the various models of the various makers.

the point is that you didn't know the model of *what* *you* *bought*.

So, why is that important.
Today I bought a new blender. I can tell you the brand, but not the
model. I wonder how many here know the model of the computer they use.

Guilty as charged.

I know the brand and the specs, but not the model.

Savageduck

Old September 13th 15, 02:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Today I bought a new blender. I can tell you the brand, but not the
model.

a blender is a commodity product. not the same thing.

I wonder how many here know the model of the computer they use. I
know the brand and the specs, but not the model.

some computers have goofy model numbers that nobody can remember.

knowing the specs is equivalent.
Old September 13th 15, 02:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Not those "under the hood" differences, I hope, because nospam
continually tells us the "under the hood" differences don't make any
difference to the user.

taken out of context again.
Old September 13th 15, 02:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-13 01:11:28 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 18:16:22 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

OK! I give up.
You are absolutely correct you wanted an Apple phone so you bought an
Apple phone, and you are happy that it works as a phone should.
However, of the various Apple phones available to you, you made a
selection based purely on the brand name.
It looks as if your choice of the iPhone 4S was an accident, because if
there wasn't one in the store you would probably have been happy to
leave with an iPhone 5(S) because it was an APPLE phone, not because of
its improved capabilities (which you would have been blisfully unaware
of).

Quite so. I'm not aware of how the improved capabilities of the
iPhone5s, would have improved my experience since I've owned the
iPhone4s, but I'll take your word for it.

The problem with some "improved capabilities" is that the user has no
use for them. Not all users, just some.

you don't even know what the improved capabilitites *are* yet you're
already dismissing them.

So far, no one has described what those improved capabilities would
have been, so I can't very well get excited about them.

You lack of interest in your "Apple" phone and its brethren does not
exactly encourage anybody to make the effort to start in on a post
which is going to go nowhere.

I would suggest taking a look at the Apple product site, but it is a
little late for that, about 3 years late.

They must have been significant since there's been so much hoo-rah
here about them, but I don't know what they are.

....because you didn't care enough to make even a cursory inquiry.

Savageduck

Old September 13th 15, 03:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 21:28:42 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Not those "under the hood" differences, I hope, because nospam
continually tells us the "under the hood" differences don't make any
difference to the user.

taken out of context again.

I think it's an edge case.

Eric Stevens
Old September 13th 15, 03:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 18:34:22 -0700, Savageduck

On 2015-09-13 01:11:28 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 18:16:22 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

[...]

That shows how important it was to him.

Eric Stevens
Old September 13th 15, 04:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

This doesn't include the 5s, but I don't know if the 5s was an option
at the time. Ask nospam. He's the one that keeps track of things for
me.

it was.
Old September 13th 15, 05:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2015-09-13 01:11:28 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 18:16:22 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

[...]

I was interested enough to *buy* an iPhone. I wasn't interested
enough in the *other* phones to do research or interested enough to
buy or wait for a newer iPhone model.

I would suggest taking a look at the Apple product site, but it is a
little late for that, about 3 years late.

They must have been significant since there's been so much hoo-rah
here about them, but I don't know what they are.

...because you didn't care enough to make even a cursory inquiry.

Do you blame me? The phone is doing what I wanted done when I bought
it.

I would assume that y'all know these improved capabilities by heart.
However, I'll help you out:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...-iphone-4.html

The chart at the bottom is a good comparison. You know what I use my
4s phone for, the extent I use it, and even what I don't do with it.
You should be able to skim down this chart and say "Look, Tony! You
missed out on ....".

It would take the ordinary person more than a day with Google to
interpret the significance of many of those specs.

I'll spot you the lightning connector. That would have saved me
$19.95.