I can't believe how pricing has dropped on MF gear

Old July 20th 03, 04:12 PM
purplekids4h

Default I can't believe how pricing has dropped on MF gear

just saw on sqeeze-Bay a 500cm body w/80T*, wlf and a12 go for a hair over
$700.00

Not too long ago this was a $1500.00+ outfit on the used market. I guess
digital really is driving film (at least the hardware) into the ground. I
just wish I had the $$ to snatch it up.

Ken

Old August 21st 03, 07:07 PM
BCE

Since so many pro wedding and portrait photographers used Hasselblad, and
those two areas are pretty much totally digital now, there's a ton of used
Hasselblad stuff on the market which tends to drive the price down. The fact
Hasselblad stuff was always grossly overpriced in the past leaves a lot of
room for price reduction too. Brands that were more realistically priced to
begin with don't have as far to fall.

--
Images and Photography Information www.ellisgalleries.com

Old August 21st 03, 10:35 PM
Bob Monaghan

see http://medfmt.8k.com/brondejavu.html on camera price inflation

hasselblad lens prices esp. inflated in US$ terms much faster than
1970s/80s inflation over a decade+ period, resulting in a huge cost
increase.

Buyers of the older C series lenses often had them for $250-400
or so new in 1950s and 1960s, used them 30+ years, now selling and getting
$$ back (well, dollarettes back ;-).

the mfger is no longer guaranteeing availability of repair parts for older
C series lenses, so many pros are dumping the older backup lenses for
newer models for which parts are available (i.e., newer shutter model
etc.). Zeiss also doesn't have replacement elements available for some
older lenses now etc. So this has reduced the valuations with hasselblad.

so the situation has changed, in that the older lenses are no longer
repairable and supportable as in past, which greatly impacts pro
valuations of these lenses, and is leading to a selloff IMHO by pros too

Final factor is low cost new cameras, such as $750 USA warranty mamiya
645E with lens etc; makes it hard to pay top $$ for older gear as in past;
this is about half cost of just a few years ago, thanks to chinese
factory and reduced markups etc. in USA.

and lots of photographers are changing careers in the economic downturn...

my $.02

bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
********************Standard Disclaimers Apply*************************
Old December 2nd 03, 03:58 AM

I think you are seeing a temporary slump due to intense marketing. That
equipment is still very much in demand. Hasselblad gear on Ebay sells
like crazy. After a few digital problems some of those users will come
running back to traditional imaging in my view. There is a tremendous
amount of high impact marketing surrounding digital imaging, many people
fall victim to the constant barrage of slick advertising and hype. I'm
not saying digital imaging technology doesn't have it's place, it's just
another tool and means to an end and nothing more. It's not really
photography in my view, it's electronic imaging., a totally different
animal.

When it comes to computers I find they are time hogs in general and are
extremely complex especially in electronic imaging for the average user
unless a person just wants snapshot quality. They are fraught with
constant problems of one type or another which makes their use in a
productive fashion frustrating and sometimes quite costly. I think many
people like the quickness of a digital image but when it requires a
person to spend extensive time in front of a PC to tweak an image and
output to gain a respectable result it certainly becomes a burden at
that point it's initial attraction wears away quickly. Using service
bureaus is usually just an exercise in frustration also, quality varies
tremendously and things become so technical in nature communication
breaks down quickly between the bureau and the client and then people
start losing money and become very disatisfied. I know of several people
who have spent thousands on digital and their images are not as good as
when they simply shot film and I constantly hear complaints about output
quality and lot's of talk about what could be wrong and yet no one can
solve their own problems. I don't think it will be long and you will
begin to see traditional and digital markets stabilize and these prices
you note will begin to rise again. Eventually you will see a shared
market, some folks will stick with traditional and some will go with
digital. Personnaly I stopped investing in digital about a year ago and
instead put my money into some additional new Hasselblad equipment
(553ELX and 150) which I am very happy with and it gives me stunning
results that no digital system anywhere within sight of an equivalent
price can compare in image quality and ease of use. For similar quality
in digital it would cost you $10K or more and that's just the capture
back. Output would have to be done on a very expensive printer that an
average studio or photographer would never own. With all that investment
if a single electron out of millions screws up you are out of luck.
Think about it. I find it sad how people blow their $$ on electronic
imaging equipment. Most ignore the big investment and impact it has on
their overhead and don't consider the quick obsolescence of their gear
and the pathetic resale value it has. You think medium format prices are
low? Go to some shows and look at what used digital sells for. Did you
ever wonder why teh people that create all this wondrous technology
(Japanese mostly) come over here and buy our best used traditional gear?

Just my opinion...........I'm sure others have contrary views.

John