Do people still use the Atari ST?

Old February 10th 05, 06:51 AM
Edward S. Baiz Jr.

Default Do people still use the Atari ST?

Do people still actually use Atari ST? Why are there so many active
groups for computers that have not been made in so many years. Serious
questions.

Kevin

I still use my STe. I have it setup right next to my Hades060. I also have my
130XE setup. Why do I still use it? Why not? It still works and does a great
job. Why do many people run Atari 8-bit and ST emulators on their PC's. Sam
reason I guess. The programs were and are still great fun to use and play. I
am not goint to toss something out just because it is old.

--
Edward S. Baiz Jr.
(Gamer)

HADES 060: 256meg Ram, Yamaha & Sony CDRW Drive, 1 gig
Jaz Drive, MicroTek E3 Scanner, Mach 64 w/4meg Ram, Epson
Photo 700 printer, PCI Networking Card, ICQ#91257633
PROGRAMS: Extendos Gold, Cab 2.8, ScanX, GlueStik, aFTP,
Calamus SL2002, Newswatch, Okami, PlayMyCD, Papyrus 8, Smurf,
Nova Driver 2.67, NVDI 5, Mint(Net), Magic(Net), N.AES, Geneva
Old February 15th 05, 08:09 AM
Martin Tarenskeen

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

Do people still actually use Atari ST? Why are there so many active
groups for computers that have not been made in so many years. Serious
questions.

Yes they do ! I have an old 4MB Atari 1040STF running Single TOS 1.04 for
fun, a little bit newer and faster Falcon030/CT2b running the latest
FreeMiNT 1.16.3alpha + XaAES 0.994alpha CVS versions (compiled myself this
weekend), and a linux fedora core 2 equiped laptop running a ARAnyM for an
ultrafast Atari experience. And I have a lot of fun.

And have you ever read the atari-midi mailing list ? It still has a lot of
active readers and writers using Atari computers for MIDI sequencing. The
old Atari boxes still have a rock solid MIDI timing that cannot be beaten
by badly configured Windooz equiped computers. And they are so cheap now
that you can afford to have many of them in your home studio. There is a
music teacher on a school in Dordrecht, the Netherlands, who has I think
30 Atari ST computers in his classroom that are used intensively by his
students !

--

Martin Tarenskeen