Inkjet prints lifetime in photo album

Old February 8th 05, 11:44 PM

Default Inkjet prints lifetime in photo album

I am considering purchasing either the Epson R800 or the Canon i9900
printer. I'm planning on mounting prints I make in a photo album. I
understand the Canon prints have a lifetime of something like 30 years
under glass in display conditions. What does this translate to if the
photos are mounted in a photo album? It would be nice to make
something that would be around for the grandkids.

Thanks in advance,

Old February 9th 05, 12:14 AM
RSD99

"alacriti" posted:
"...
It would be nice to make something that would be around for the grandkids.
...."

If so .. the Epson R800 uses the Ultrachrome pigmented inks. These are the
closest thing to archival that anyone has come up with ... to date, anyway.
Print life ratings seem to be well into the three-digit range.

You can find out more at Wilhelm Imaging Research, Inc.
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/
An article and ratings on the R800 are at
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/epson/R800.html
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/epso...2004_12_03.pdf

Oh ... and FWIW: the tests I have seen for the Canon do not appear to be
anywhere near as long.

oups.com...

Old February 9th 05, 03:10 AM
Ben Thomas

RSD99 wrote:
"alacriti" posted:
"...
It would be nice to make something that would be around for the grandkids.
..."

If so .. the Epson R800 uses the Ultrachrome pigmented inks. These are the
closest thing to archival that anyone has come up with ... to date, anyway.
Print life ratings seem to be well into the three-digit range.

You can find out more at Wilhelm Imaging Research, Inc.
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/
An article and ratings on the R800 are at
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/epson/R800.html
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/epso...2004_12_03.pdf

Oh ... and FWIW: the tests I have seen for the Canon do not appear to be
anywhere near as long.

I don't have access to WWW right now, so can you tell me if those links mention
print longevity in an album (which is what the OP was asking basically)?

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
given nor endorsed by it.
Old February 9th 05, 04:12 AM
MarkČ

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am considering purchasing either the Epson R800 or the Canon i9900
printer. I'm planning on mounting prints I make in a photo album. I
understand the Canon prints have a lifetime of something like 30 years
under glass in display conditions. What does this translate to if the
photos are mounted in a photo album? It would be nice to make
something that would be around for the grandkids.

Thanks in advance,

The Epson's Ultra Chrome inks are pigment-based, and will outlast ANY dye-based system
currently available for desktop printing.

Old February 9th 05, 04:51 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

Ben Thomas writes:

RSD99 wrote:
"alacriti" posted:
"...
[...]

Yes; one of the categories they give a rating for is "Album/dark
storage". For those conditions, *all* of the papers they tested the
Epson R800 with rate over 100 years, and most rate over 200 years.

Since you say "right now", perhaps
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/epson/R800.html will be useful to
you later, or to other people.
Old February 9th 05, 05:06 AM
rafe bustin

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 20:12:09 -0800, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even
number wrote:

The Epson's Ultra Chrome inks are pigment-based, and will outlast ANY dye-based system
currently available for desktop printing.

Not necessarily. The HP DesignJet 30 and 130 (and a
few other HP models) get an 82 year Wilhelm rating
on selected HP media.

Not disputing your *general* point that pigment
inks will yield better longevity than dyes. But
the HP ink/paper system is a specific exception.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Old February 9th 05, 05:10 AM
MarkČ

number wrote:

The Epson's Ultra Chrome inks are pigment-based, and will outlast ANY dye-based system
currently available for desktop printing.

Not necessarily. The HP DesignJet 30 and 130 (and a
few other HP models) get an 82 year Wilhelm rating
on selected HP media.

Not disputing your *general* point that pigment
inks will yield better longevity than dyes. But
the HP ink/paper system is a specific exception.

My personal experience is that Willhelm has been very very wrong in the
past...specifically with regard to Epson's 1270/870 printers and ink. They had horrible
shift problems (and I'm an Epson guy!)...even after fabulous claims of longevity from
Willhelm.

I do understand that he is widely regarded as the longevity guru...but I would be very
cautious when considering ANY ink-based system that is not behind glass, or where future
handling cannot necessarily be predicted (which definitely includes albums).