Will Lightroom Become Web Only?

Old October 23rd 17, 12:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

Default Will Lightroom Become Web Only?

On 10/22/2017 6:15 PM, Mayayana wrote:
"Neil" wrote

| No, it is not a repetition of what you wrote. You claimed that streaming
| doesn't exist

No. Reread what I wrote.

I think you need to reread what you wrote.

On 10/22/2017 10:22 AM, Mayayana wrote:

An analogy would be streaming. There's really
no such thing as streaming.

If there is "no such thing", it doesn't exist by definition.

I said there's really
no such thing. Of course there's something
called file streaming, and I used it as an example,
but it's still a file download.

For many devices it is not a file download at all, it is a data stream,
period.

| You also state that you can't access the (media) file
| unless it's downloaded, and I pointed out that in the example I used the
| file never exists on the device, nor could it.

It does exist on the device.

Where is this happening when the device has insufficient memory to store
a file of the requisite size? No movie file ever exists on the device.

It may never be
fully constituted but all of it had to be downloaded
in order to watch your movie. There's no broadcast
involved.

Sorry but you are flat out wrong about this. Perhaps you should learn
about ROKU and other such devices before making such blatantly erroneous
claims.

| That depends on the software. All of the "rental software" that I have
| is completely installed on my machine, and therefore works just fine
| off-line. It also won't necessarily stop working if I don't pay for it
| in the future

Then it's not rental. That's called freeware.

I assure you, Office365 is not freeware, and it is fully installed on my
machines.

If it's
rental then you have to pay and it has to be allowed
to call home at least periodically.

It does. If I don't pay, it doesn't update but it still works.

So if it's on your
machine then why should you have to rent it?

It's not a new situation. You might want to learn how things really work
with this kind of software. Web-based software also exists, but that's
another matter, since it doesn't necessarily exist on your machine.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old October 23rd 17, 12:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

| But
| it always boils down to the same thing: You can't
| access it unless it's downloaded, so it's always local.
|
| given that definition, to hear a song on the radio, it must be stored
| in the radio. to watch a tv show, it must be stored in the tv.

They're very different things. TV and radio are
signals received over the air, or through a cable
in some cases. The device interprets the signals
in real time, converting them to audio and/or
video.

just like the internet.

The Internet doesn't work that way.

yes it most certainly does work that way.

streaming audio and/or video over the internet sends signals (packets
of data) in real time through a cable (broadband or dial-up) or over
the air (cellular or wifi), which are then converted to audio, video
and/or any other relevant formats by the computer/phone/set top
box/other the user is using.

the specific format might be different, but the concept is the same.

this is particularly true for digital tv, which sends data packets over
the air (versus old style analog modulation).

You
download binary files.

not always.

i'm watching a live stream right now, no files are being downloaded.

This is another example of your habit of ignoring the parts of a
mechanism that the user (or programmer) doesn't need to know about. In
fact there is a hell of a lot going on inside the machine including
downloading data, using the data to construct a file (even though that
file may only be going to be used as a buffer) reading the file at a
clocked rate, decoding the file and constructing an image or music
stream from the results. The file may or not be variously truncated or
deleted after the relevant segment is read, or after the video or
music reaches the end.

this is yet another example of you overanalyzing things.

If you think I am wrong, please explain how you get to smoothly view a
video or listen to music as it is down-loaded packet by packet.

click on the 'listen' or 'watch' button. done.

users don't give a flying **** about what goes on under the hood any
more than they care about tv/radio modulation.
Old October 23rd 17, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 16:25:20 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

--- snip ---

It might be an option for
people on Macs, however, since they have a more
limited selection to choose from.

What is available for PCs that is not available for Macs?

For that matter, what is available for Macs that is not available for
PCs?

Eric Stevens
Old October 23rd 17, 12:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Neil" wrote

| An analogy would be streaming. There's really
| no such thing as streaming.
|
| If there is "no such thing", it doesn't exist by definition.

Okey doke. You win. I have to agree that if something
doesn't exist then it doesn't exist. I don't know what
I was thinking.

Old October 23rd 17, 12:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Eric Stevens" wrote

| What is available for PCs that is not available for Macs?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...aphics_editors

PSP
Irfanview

In general there's far more software for Windows
because it's easier to do and Microsoft have encouraged
it.
When I first bought a computer I went to Microcenter.
I thought Mac and Windows were brands, like GE and
Frigidaire. So I asked about the difference. What's the
cheapest? "$2,200 for the Mac. $500 for the eMachines."
Software? "The main floor here is Windows software.
That little room has the Mac software."

So I bought an eMachines.

| For that matter, what is available for Macs that is not available for
| PCs?

Good question. As SD was pointing out, there's
more for Macs than I was aware of. Most of it
is either Mac-only or poorly adapted to Windows,
so I haven't come across it. But I guess some of
it is quite good. I don't really know.

That's the nice thing about using Windows: When
I go looking for software I only find Windows software,
because that's what 90% of people are looking for.

Old October 23rd 17, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 22, 2017, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

wrote:

--- snip ---

It might be an option for
people on Macs, however, since they have a more
limited selection to choose from.

What is available for PCs that is not available for Macs?

For that matter, what is available for Macs that is not available for
PCs?

Picktorial
https://www.picktorial.com/index#home

Pixelmator/Pixelmator Pro
http://www.pixelmator.com/mac/
http://www.pixelmator.com/pro/

RAW Power
https://gentlemencoders.com
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/raw-power/id1157116444

Savageduck

Old October 23rd 17, 12:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

"Eric Stevens" wrote

| What is available for PCs that is not available for Macs?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...aphics_editors

PSP
Irfanview

both not particularly good.

In general there's far more software for Windows
because it's easier to do and Microsoft have encouraged
it.

complete utter nonsense on so many levels.

When I first bought a computer I went to Microcenter.
I thought Mac and Windows were brands, like GE and
Frigidaire. So I asked about the difference. What's the
cheapest? "$2,200 for the Mac. $500 for the eMachines."
Software? "The main floor here is Windows software.
That little room has the Mac software."

the specs were wildly different.

So I bought an eMachines.

which one still exists and which one is no more?

| For that matter, what is available for Macs that is not available for
| PCs?

Good question. As SD was pointing out, there's
more for Macs than I was aware of. Most of it
is either Mac-only or poorly adapted to Windows,
so I haven't come across it. But I guess some of
it is quite good.

indeed it is.

I don't really know.

true. you don't.

That's the nice thing about using Windows: When
I go looking for software I only find Windows software,
because that's what 90% of people are looking for.

nope. it's because you refuse to look at anything but windows.

these days, most people are looking for android and ios apps.
Old October 23rd 17, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Eric Stevens:
[The Swiss] are able to be neutral because history show that if you start
fighting the swiss you had to be prepared to go on fighting them to
the bitter end.

Sounds like the Swiss might be a good candidate for the next USA! USA!
bogus war. Should last about 30 years and cost $20 trillion before we
realize we've lost.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old October 23rd 17, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 12:09:44 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:

This is another example of your habit of ignoring the parts of a
mechanism that the user (or programmer) doesn't need to know about. In
fact there is a hell of a lot going on inside the machine including
downloading data, using the data to construct a file (even though that
file may only be going to be used as a buffer) reading the file at a
clocked rate, decoding the file and constructing an image or music
stream from the results.

There is a hell of a lot going on in an FM radio, too. Mayayana might
be clinically insane...
Old October 23rd 17, 01:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Mayayana might