Computer can't detect camera automatically

Old June 24th 11, 11:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Curious Girl

Default Computer can't detect camera automatically

Hi! Can you help me?
We just reinstalled Windows XP. I have a Canon PowerShot SX210 IS, I
connected it to the PC via USB cable. But the computer can't detect it.
And I can't download new photos!
Earlier the same XP detected it automatically without any special
software for camera installed. What can be the problem now?

Old June 24th 11, 12:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
davy

It sounds as though the drivers aren't installed so lets look in Device
manager and see if there are any yellow triangles... to do this-:

Begin by clicking Start at the bottom left, then right click on My
computer and do a left click on Properties, then click Hardware tab to
open, then click Device manager in the first pane.. do you see any
yellow warning signs?

If you see any yellow triangles alongside the tiny + boxes this is
saying the drivers aren't installed, I'd be looking at the very last one
'Universal Serial Controllers' as well. Let us know what you see in
there then we can proceed.

davy

Old June 24th 11, 09:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 05:35:41 -0500, Curious Girl
wrote:
:
: Hi! Can you help me?
: We just reinstalled Windows XP. I have a Canon PowerShot SX210 IS, I
: connected it to the PC via USB cable. But the computer can't detect it.
: And I can't download new photos!
: Earlier the same XP detected it automatically without any special
: software for camera installed. What can be the problem now?

Missing drivers and updates, probably. But just give in and install Windows 7.
It's far better at identifying unusual devices than XT is.

Bob
Old June 24th 11, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 16:55:54 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:
: On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 05:35:41 -0500, Curious Girl
: wrote:
: :
: : Hi! Can you help me?
: : We just reinstalled Windows XP. I have a Canon PowerShot SX210 IS, I
: : connected it to the PC via USB cable. But the computer can't detect it.
: : And I can't download new photos!
: : Earlier the same XP detected it automatically without any special
: : software for camera installed. What can be the problem now?
:
: Missing drivers and updates, probably. But just give in and install Windows 7.
: It's far better at identifying unusual devices than XT is.

I let a typo go by. :^| I meant, of course, "XP".

Bob
Old June 24th 11, 10:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

wrote:

Hi! Can you help me?
We just reinstalled Windows XP. I have a Canon PowerShot SX210 IS, I
connected it to the PC via USB cable. But the computer can't detect it.
And I can't download new photos!
Earlier the same XP detected it automatically without any special
software for camera installed. What can be the problem now?

Have you installed service pack 2 or 3 yet? If not, that will fix the problem.

Old June 25th 11, 03:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael[_6_]

On 2011-06-24 06:35:41 -0400, Curious Girl said:

Hi! Can you help me?
We just reinstalled Windows XP. I have a Canon PowerShot SX210 IS, I
connected it to the PC via USB cable. But the computer can't detect it.
And I can't download new photos!
Earlier the same XP detected it automatically without any special
software for camera installed. What can be the problem now?

And people still ask me why I use a Mac!!
--
Michael

Old June 25th 11, 02:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 6/24/11 9:25 PM, in article 2011062422254893018-adunc79617@mypacksnet,

On 2011-06-24 06:35:41 -0400, Curious Girl said:

Hi! Can you help me?
We just reinstalled Windows XP. I have a Canon PowerShot SX210 IS, I
connected it to the PC via USB cable. But the computer can't detect it.
And I can't download new photos!
Earlier the same XP detected it automatically without any special
software for camera installed. What can be the problem now?

And people still ask me why I use a Mac!!

Don't tell that to RichA...

Old June 25th 11, 06:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug Bashford

about: Computer can't detect camera automatically;
On Fri, larrymcg wrote:

My solution to all the issues of connecting a camera to a computer is to get a memory card reader (typically USB attached). You take the memory card out of the camera and put it in the card reader. The readers are cheap and can read lots of different format cards.

Simple and works every time. Does not use up the camera batteries.

The memory card mounts like a disk so you just drag and drop the files from the card to wherever you want them. --Larry

That's what I do with my XP and 2009 Canon sx120.
The "card reader" becomes a thumb drive.
XP sees that as a new drive (exactly like a new folder)
When ya first plug it in a popup window
asks what to do. Say; do nothing, and close it.
Then drag n drop the folder with yer pics in it.
After they are copied, delete them from the card.
(Or rather than copy, move. That will automagically
delete them after copy.) Put the card back in camera, done.

"card reader" is a bit of a misnomer.
It's a just a passive card-plug to USB-plug
adapter, a mechanical interface. They are
smaller than a thumb drive, handy and versitile,
about $8 - $12. ...for anytime you want to turn
a memory card into a thumb drive. If I owned just
one thumb drive, it would be a "card reader" type.

When I first plugged in my *camera* I saw that
it wanted me to install software from the
CD...the above "manual" method using the camera's
plug looked all freaky with multiple filenames etc.
No thanks. My rule is never instal hardware CDs
except as a last resort.

I got a USB cord at the dollar store and just leave
it plugged in to the computer all the time....so handy!

The insane twist the facts to fit their world view.
The rational change their world view to fit the facts.
Old June 29th 11, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug Bashford

Computer can't detect camera automatically;

* On Fri, larrymcg wrote:

[...]

it's worth reformatting a card

Yes, people should prolly learn why that might be.

that has been used in a camera as
usually it's
formatted FAT 32 which is quite slow to read and write from compared
to other formats.

That suggests cards used in cameras are somehow different
from cards that have not.
Don't most people just just pop their virgin SD cards
into their camera and shoot away?

Perhaps the flash card default formating is FAT
but NTFS formatting is standard on real drives?
Agree,if reformatting, the whys should be known.

Yet I did reformat my SD card to FAT 16 or 32, but that was
only because my addon firmware CHDK docs claimed to need it.
(But CHDK documentation is garbage.)
Few people run CHDK software in their camera.

Of course the card then won;t work in a camera
unless you reformat it for the camera.

You mean, won't work *as well?* ...not optimally? Right?

I'm not real clear what you are saying. Me?
I'll leave things alone unless I know otherwise
or *need* some speed or capacity improvements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_formatting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_sy...rosoft_Windows

....Windows makes use of the FAT and NTFS file systems....