DPReview relocates - from London, England, to Seattle, WA, USA!

Old October 22nd 10, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

Default DPReview relocates - from London, England, to Seattle, WA, USA!

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 00:13:33 -0400, shiva das wrote:
: The day you actually convince _one_ camera company to produce a
: mass-market camera with the shutter speeds denoted in milliseconds and
: f-stops in binary is the day we well be dining on cold roast pork flying
: through hell on a snowball...

It's a day you may well live to see. Now that shutter speeds are displayed by
software instead of engraved on a wheel, there's nothing to prevent a camera
from expressing them in any notation you choose.

Cameras already ignore the 1/x convention in the shutter speeds they select
automatically. I remember one case where the Exif readout told me that the
shot had been exposed for 0.7 sec.

Bob
Old October 23rd 10, 02:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wilba[_3_]

Robert Coe wrote:

Cameras already ignore the 1/x convention in the shutter speeds they
select automatically.

And manually. My 450D goes (in 1/3 step increments) ... 1/8, 1/6, 1/5, 1/4,
0"3, 0"4, 0"5, 0"6, 0"8, 1", 1"3, 1"6, 2"... I have no idea why they thought
0"5 makes more sense than 0.5 (the EXIF says 0.5"). But Canon don't GAF
about labels making sense anyway - they omit the solidus from all displays
of aperture settings, thus bamboozling generations of newbs.

Old October 23rd 10, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 09:38:09 +0800, "Wilba"
wrote:
: Robert Coe wrote:
:
: Cameras already ignore the 1/x convention in the shutter speeds they
: select automatically.
:
: And manually. My 450D goes (in 1/3 step increments) ... 1/8, 1/6, 1/5, 1/4,
: 0"3, 0"4, 0"5, 0"6, 0"8, 1", 1"3, 1"6, 2"... I have no idea why they thought
: 0"5 makes more sense than 0.5 (the EXIF says 0.5"). But Canon don't GAF
: about labels making sense anyway - they omit the solidus from all displays
: of aperture settings, thus bamboozling generations of newbs.

The underlying idea has to be that the double quote is a widespread notation
for "seconds" (although I suspect that its original meaning was restricted to
"seconds of arc" and probably didn't include sixtieths of a minute). Why they
used it instead of a decimal point in this context is certainly unclear. Maybe
they were worried about speeds that included a decimal getting confused with
aperture values (which, however, have an "F" displayed before them on a 450D).

Bob
Old October 23rd 10, 04:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wilba[_3_]

Robert Coe wrote:
Wilba wrote:
: Robert Coe wrote:
:
: Cameras already ignore the 1/x convention in the shutter speeds they
: select automatically.
:
: And manually. My 450D goes (in 1/3 step increments) ... 1/8, 1/6, 1/5,
1/4,
: 0"3, 0"4, 0"5, 0"6, 0"8, 1", 1"3, 1"6, 2"... I have no idea why they
thought
: 0"5 makes more sense than 0.5 (the EXIF says 0.5"). But Canon don't GAF
: about labels making sense anyway - they omit the solidus from all
displays
: of aperture settings, thus bamboozling generations of newbs.

The underlying idea has to be that the double quote is a widespread
notation
for "seconds" (although I suspect that its original meaning was restricted
"seconds of arc" and probably didn't include sixtieths of a minute).

AFAIK, a double quote only denotes an arcsecond, not a time second. Bad
Canon.

Why they used it instead of a decimal point in this context is certainly
unclear.
Maybe they were worried about speeds that included a decimal getting
confused
with aperture values (which, however, have an "F" displayed before them on
450D).

I'd rather they were entirely standard-compliant and unambiguous, like
'1/4000s f/5.6', but I bet somewhere sometime that was too wide to display
and the "superfluous" characters were removed.

Old October 25th 10, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 10-10-21 21:04 , Robert Coe wrote:
On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 18:21:39 -0400, Alan Browne

: My Maxxum 9 has a 1/12,000 shutter speed - though rarely used it.

Just as well. Nobody on the planet could build a mechanical shutter to that
accuracy.

Well, one definitely could - but the price would reflect the fineness of
the accuracy.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
Old October 26th 10, 03:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Rich[_6_]

Bruce wrote in
:

Savageduck wrote:
Didn't know you were a fan of Tom Lehrer

From bull fights to the periodic table.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6RbfaoX5Hw

He has been putting a smile on my face for over 50 years now.

Lehrer has been around for so long that I was surprised to learn that
he is still alive. He was extremely popular here in the UK in the
1960s and I recall my grandfather was a fan. At that time, I was too
young to fully appreciate Lehrer's humour.

Speaking of the 60's, should the theme of this move be from the TV
series, "Here Come the Brides?"
Old November 7th 10, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

wrote:
: Robert Coe wrote:
:
[...]

IIRC, in some parts of the world the usage of dots and commas in
numeric notation is reversed. Maybe they figured something universally
confusing would be more politic.

lol :-)

My Nikon reads:

8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2.5, 2, 1.6, 1.3, 1", 1.3", 1.6", 2"

-which I find terribly confusing!

that should be read like:

1/8", 1/6", 1/5", 1/4", 1/3", 1/2.5", 1/2", 1/1.6", 1/1.3", 1", 1.3",
1.6", 2"

-but what the hell is 1/1.6? one one-point-sixth?! Jesus. :-)

I suppose there isn't room to have 1-1/3", 1-2/3".

Fractions do work nicely for doubling but only in full stops, not as
well for thirds of stops. I forget how the exif reads but it's something
a little different, like probably 1/1.6" is 0.625 seconds...mm, nope,
it's .7 sec. The camera can also be set to half stops or single stop
increments... of course they call them steps in the menu. In fact, I
just set it to half stop increments; that'll be easier and is plenty of
control. Now it's only got one weird one:

8, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1.5, 1", 1.5", 2"

ISO is messy that way though:

200, 280, 400, 560, 800

I just set that to full stops, it's quicker that way.
Old November 8th 10, 02:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

On 2010-10-21 20:00:48 -0700, peter
said:

Hint: there are 10 types of people: those that understand binary and
those
that don't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXx2VVSWDMo

...and both of them confuse me.

Now if you will excuse me there is a pigeon in dire need of
poisoning.

Didn't know you were a fan of Tom Lehrer

From bull fights to the periodic table.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6RbfaoX5Hw

He has been putting a smile on my face for over 50 years now.

Yup! You got me listening to most of the songs on that page. ;-)

Here's the modern equivalent:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSmua...xt=1& index=1
-yeah, I know, more crude but maybe not for the times...
Old November 8th 10, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Bruce wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:

but what the hell is 1/1.6? one one-point-sixth?! Jesus. :-)

It is a type of descriptor that is in common use for describing the
size of digital sensors. In either application it is almost
meaningless. ;-)

Ha, right, that too; video tubes.

With half stop steps, it now goes to 1.5 which would be:
one one and a halfth: 1/1-1/2.