Best Camera + Software for Remote Telephoto? (Cross Posted from r.p.d.slr-systems)

Old November 23rd 05, 03:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Best Camera + Software for Remote Telephoto? (Cross Posted from r.p.d.slr-systems)

Hi there

I have a project which requires an SLR with a very long focal length
lens mounted in a difficult to reach location. I would like help
choosing a camera and lens that would allow me to take photos from a
little distance away, connected with a data cable. Here are my
detailed requirements:

1) 1000mm (35mm equivalent) focal length at 12 Megapixels. (I need to
see 500 dpi at 20 feet, but the field of view doesn't need to be any
larger than 1 degree, so I won't be using all of those pixels)

2) At most 5000mm minimum focusing distance

3) On-screen preview at at least 3 frames per second (no need for
capture at this speed, just preview). This will likely require that
the shutter mirror lock-up.

4) Perform from a PC, through USB or firewire, without access to the
camera:
*digital zoom (optical zoom will be fixed)
*digital pan
*focus
*capture

(The numbers are high because the camera is for remote visual
inspections)

I know I can get high end cameras (Fuji S3 Pro, Canon EOS 5D, Nikon
D2S) and lenses (500mm telephoto with 2x crop ratio) to do this, but I
don't know whether the 'remote capture' software that comes with these
(used for studio sessions?) is up to the task.

Can anyone with experience with remote software let me know? Should I
be looking at high end digital video cameras with still capture
instead?

Thanks,
Brendan

Old November 23rd 05, 04:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 2005-11-22 21:18:14 -0500, said:

Hi there

[...]

Perhaps a troll? I don't know... but There are very few 12 mp
cameras on the market, a Canon, a Nikon (and it was only announced
this month) and a couple of Kodaks... these are all at the upper price
range. A 1000mm lens is going to cost more than an small car. So,
you are in the high end DSLR mode. Are going to mount a $15,000+
camera and lens as a spy camera in an unattended location? Me thinks
the spy camera has a short life span unless you get a second camer to
spy on the first. Any of these cameras are capable of 3fps.. most 5
fps. 3fps and 5fps don't require mirror lock up. My D70s does 3fps
just fine without mirror lockup. No DSLR does preview.. it needs to
take the photo first before the image is captured by the sensor.
Nikon Capture Control does amazing things but there is no digital zoom
in a DSLR, there is no pan ability (heck you need a motor and drive
system to move the camera). focus is auto, and capture.. well thats a
no brainer. I can't speak for the Canon software but I imagine its
much the same

The canon 12 mp and Kodak 12mp's are full frame there is no crop ratio.
A 500mm 35 mm lens is just that on a digital, a 500mm lens. Period.
Drop to a Nikon 6 or 8 mp camera and the conversion is 1.5.. so a 500mm
lens is 750mm.

So some prices? B&H..
Canon EOS 5D 3695
Canon 600mm F4 IS USM 6999 (Its the longest I can find)
Canon 1.4x TC 289

So you are up to about 11,000 grand for Canon... and about the same
for Nikon. Kodak will run you much more.

A 12mp Video camera? I don't think so... and no where near a 1000mm
lens unless you are independently wealthy.

--
Jim

Old November 23rd 05, 05:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 2005-11-22 21:18:14 -0500, said:

Hi there
[...]

The 12MP Nikon is the D2x, and it's considerably older than you
suggest. The one that was just announced, the D200, is 10MP.

A 1000mm lens is going to cost more than an small car.

Not *that* bad. A 600mm f4 is going to cost more than a small car,
but 1000mm lenses are usually slower and considerably cheaper.

Actually, for this application he probably should look at Celestron
telescopes -- some of which are even marketed for remote product
inspection.

So,
you are in the high end DSLR mode. Are going to mount a $15,000+
camera and lens as a spy camera in an unattended location? Me thinks
the spy camera has a short life span unless you get a second camer to
spy on the first.

Repeating from the quote above:

(The numbers are high because the camera is for remote visual
inspections)

Not a spy camera, he's inspecting products on an assembly line or some
such, without getting in the way. So I don't think security will be
his biggest problem.
Old November 23rd 05, 10:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Nope, not a troll, or a spy! Like David said, the application is for
assembly line visual inspections. Anyway, I think I've found my
solution (which I posted to r.p.d.slr).

Basically, I don't want a "commercial" camera. I want a "firewire
inspection camera" like these:
http://www.pixelink.com/products.asp?id=9, mounted on a scope like
these: http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/zeiss_diascope.html. I won't
have remote control of zoom or focus, but I'll have fast, full video
preview, and high res captures from my PC.

Sorry to distract. Sometimes it's difficult to know what products are
out there, especially in the industrial market. Thanks anyway
everyone.

Brendan