U.S.-Canadian dollars at par, but it sure doesn't matter!!

Old October 25th 07, 05:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
RichA

Default U.S.-Canadian dollars at par, but it sure doesn't matter!!

Examples of "skewed" Canadian pricing. Henry's (Toronto) versus B&H.
B&H isn't even a discount store.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/87831039

Old October 25th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Not Disclosed

RichA wrote:
Examples of "skewed" Canadian pricing. Henry's (Toronto) versus B&H.
B&H isn't even a discount store.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/87831039

And your point is? Why don't you also show European and Asian prices.

The store can't control the prices, it's based on about a 10% mark-up
from their cost.

The importers set their net prices, and the dealers can NOT buy "grey
market" or they will lose their dealerships.

The Canadian dollar is at $1.02 USD, but you expect an instant reaction
on prices. I expect Q1 of FY2008 US prices may go up.

I am surprised that even the news media and Parliament seem to blame the
merchants for this.

Old October 25th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
SMS

Not Disclosed wrote:
RichA wrote:
Examples of "skewed" Canadian pricing. Henry's (Toronto) versus B&H.
B&H isn't even a discount store.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/87831039

And your point is? Why don't you also show European and Asian prices.

The store can't control the prices, it's based on about a 10% mark-up
from their cost.

The importers set their net prices, and the dealers can NOT buy "grey
market" or they will lose their dealerships.

The Canadian dollar is at $1.02 USD, but you expect an instant reaction
on prices. I expect Q1 of FY2008 US prices may go up.

I am surprised that even the news media and Parliament seem to blame the
merchants for this.

The pricing of most goods is not directly related to their manufacturing
cost, it's based on what the market will bear. You wouldn't expect
prices to fall in Canada because of the weak dollar, you'd expect U.S.
prices to go up. Just because the dollar is very weak, it hasn't meant
that U.S. residents have more money to buy cameras.

What it does mean is that visitors to the U.S. get good deals, and
visitors from the U.S. pay more.
Old October 25th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Not Disclosed

Jim Townsend wrote:
RichA wrote:

Examples of "skewed" Canadian pricing. Henry's (Toronto) versus B&H.
B&H isn't even a discount store.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/87831039

The Canadian dollar is over par. Right now $1 CDN = $1.03464 US

Dealers are screwing Canadians big time. Not just with camera
equipment, but other things as well. Mid range cars and SUV's
can cost as much as $10,000 more in Canada.

The dealers aren't screwing anyone. You expect a Canadian store to take
a huge loss? Why isn't anyone pointing the blame at the suppliers. Funny
how Henry's is blamed when Nikon Canada et al set the cost

Nikon D200 sells locally (Ottawa) for $1500.00 or $875.00usd ($847cad)
the retailer has about 10% mark-up so the local camera store pays
Nikon Canada sells the D200 to the retailer for $1380.

The distributors also set conditions, and attempt to price fix.

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/270299

My advice is to shop in the U.S. whenever possible. That's the only
way Canadian dealers will lower their prices. I'm getting new tires
for my truck.. I'm buying them from Tire Rack in the US. I'm
saving $400.00.

Good plan, when Canadian stores all go bankrupt, what will you bitch
about then? WTF business model is that. Buy high, sell low! Good formula
for bankruptcy. The manufacturer is the part of the chain that has the
highest margins.

Old October 25th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
RichA

On Oct 25, 9:26 am, Not Disclosed wrote:
RichA wrote:
Examples of "skewed" Canadian pricing. Henry's (Toronto) versus B&H.
B&H isn't even a discount store.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/87831039

And your point is? Why don't you also show European and Asian prices.

The store can't control the prices, it's based on about a 10% mark-up
from their cost.

Boy, are YOU deluded.

Old October 25th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Not Disclosed

RichA wrote:
Examples of "skewed" Canadian pricing. Henry's (Toronto) versus B&H.
B&H isn't even a discount store.
http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/87831039

And your point is? Why don't you also show European and Asian prices.

The store can't control the prices, it's based on about a 10% mark-up
from their cost.

Boy, are YOU deluded.

Ya think? So Mr. Expert what does a store selling a Nikon D200 pay Nikon
Canada for it?

Old October 25th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Watcher

RichA wrote:
Examples of "skewed" Canadian pricing. Henry's (Toronto) versus B&H.
B&H isn't even a discount store.
http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/87831039

And your point is? Why don't you also show European and Asian prices.

The store can't control the prices, it's based on about a 10% mark-up
from their cost.

Boy, are YOU deluded.

But you are an arsehole. Deluded or an Arsehole tough call
Old October 25th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Rich

RichA wrote:
Examples of "skewed" Canadian pricing. Henry's (Toronto) versus B&H.
B&H isn't even a discount store.
http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/87831039
And your point is? Why don't you also show European and Asian prices.

The store can't control the prices, it's based on about a 10% mark-up
from their cost.

Boy, are YOU deluded.

Ya think? So Mr. Expert what does a store selling a Nikon D200 pay Nikon
Canada for it?

So since the dollar's are at par, does this mean Americans are selling
the cameras for LESS than they pay Nikon for them?? Tell me another
fairy story, company man.

Old October 25th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Watcher

RichA wrote:
Examples of "skewed" Canadian pricing. Henry's (Toronto) versus B&H.
B&H isn't even a discount store.
http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/87831039
And your point is? Why don't you also show European and Asian prices.
The store can't control the prices, it's based on about a 10% mark-up
from their cost.
Boy, are YOU deluded.

Ya think? So Mr. Expert what does a store selling a Nikon D200 pay Nikon
Canada for it?

So since the dollar's are at par, does this mean Americans are selling
the cameras for LESS than they pay Nikon for them?? Tell me another
fairy story, company man.

Avoiding the question Richard!

Answer the question, what does a Canadian retailer pay Nikon Canada for
a D200 body?

Why not go and ask one of the $10/hour Henry's droids to answer that.

Old October 25th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
RsH

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:46:11 -0400, Not Disclosed
wrote:

RichA wrote:
The store can't control the prices, it's based on about a 10% mark-up
from their cost.

Boy, are YOU deluded.

Ya think? So Mr. Expert what does a store selling a Nikon D200 pay Nikon
Canada for it?

Lets take Tiger Direct then. The price they charge in the U.S. against
the price they charge for the SAME item in Canada. I just looked at
'new' SD cards and one specific card is US$16.99 and C$20.99. This is
from one purchase order placed at corporate level by Tiger Direct and
allocated to the two countries by Tiger Direct. They were likely
shipped directly from China ready for sale, with English and Spanish
for the U.S packaging and English and French for the Canadian
packaging. The price difference is 17.5%! The supplier in China got
the SAME amount from Tiger Direct for this product wherever it was
shipped, Canada or the U.S.

I agree that with Cameras the prices are set, in the main, in Japan by
Nikon, Canon, FujiFilm, Olympus, Panasonic, and so on. They OWN the
U.S. and the Canadian wholesaler, and can TELL that wholesaler 'Here
is your price - pay us X per Camera, and charge the Henry's of the
world Y per Camera. The margin will be more than 10% - I suspect it is
closer to 25%-30%, as, to use a simple example, Beach Camera is
selling, in the U.S., the FujiFilm S8000fd for about $320 when the
U.S. list is $400.00 or a 20% discount. Since this price includes
shipping free via FedEx ground and some amount of profit, and since
this is a camera that just hit the market this month, their price has
to be as least 5% lower, or $300.00. I know of a dealer whose price is
actually under $300.00 but I do not trust them, and theirs might be
grey market, while the Beach units are NOT grey market.

The point is a valid one, as the price in Canada for the same camera
was set at a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $470.00 the same
day the press release in the U.S. said $400.00 in July, 2007. The
difference in the value of the U.S. and Canadian dollars on the day of
the press release in both countries was that the U.S. dollar was worth
6% more than the Canadian dollar, and not 3% less as is the case now,
but that 6% difference seems to have resulted in a 17.5% difference in
the suggested retail price on that date. I will point out that
FujiFilm Canada offers a 3 year warranty and FujiFilm U.S. offers a 1
year warranty, with a 2 year extension costing $50.00 if you want it,
so the prices are basically equal IF you consider the warranty as
being worth that $50.00

Anyway, take it for what it is worth... These are simply comments and
I agree that retailers in Canada are caught between a rock and a hard
place and it will take time for prices to 'equalise'... when
wholesalers and importers stop screwing the retailers, IF they even
care.

RsH