Panasonic FX100 or FX30 ?

Old August 12th 07, 09:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
-keevill-

Default Panasonic FX100 or FX30 ?

should I go for a Panasonic FX100 ( 12MP) or the FX30 ( 7.2MP)?
I was very happy with the FX20 until someone stole it and now I have to
choose between the above. I am tempted by the slightly smaller size of the
FX30 but since the price is not much different for the 12MP animal.. do I go
for that ?
I don't do high res poster printing but sometimes the extra pixel helps does
it not when zooming and cropping?

Old August 13th 07, 07:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David C

"-keevill-" wrote in message
.. .
should I go for a Panasonic FX100 ( 12MP) or the FX30 ( 7.2MP)?
I was very happy with the FX20 until someone stole it and now I have to
choose between the above. I am tempted by the slightly smaller size of the
FX30 but since the price is not much different for the 12MP animal.. do I
go for that ?
I don't do high res poster printing but sometimes the extra pixel helps
does it not when zooming and cropping?

There are reviews of the FX100 he

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Pa...FX100-reviewed
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...tag=prod.txt.3

and the FX30 is reviewed he

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Panasonic-DMC-FX30

The sensor size of the FX100 is 1/1.72 inches and the FX30 is 1/2.5 inches.
So it's good that the FX100 has a bigger sensor, see this article which
discusses sensor sizes:

http://photo.net/equipment/digital/sensorsize/

If you are wanting to do say an A3 sized enlargement of just a small part of
a picture, then all things being "equal", a 12mp image should enlarge better
than a 7mp one.

I think I would pick the FX30, but if you need a 12mp ultra compact camera,
I would read lots of expert reviews before making a final decision.