Which to buy - Canon S2 IS $175 or S3 IS $279?

Old April 1st 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Which to buy - Canon S2 IS $175 or S3 IS $279?

Hello,

I'm ready to upgrade from my Canon S1 IS and it's an easy decision to
stick with the same product line. I'm still loving my S1 but the
higher megapixels, 12x zoom, and AF assist lamp of the new models are
so tempting.

Through the Canon Loyalty Program I can return my S1 and pay $175 for
an S2 IS (only works if you're having problems with it or it's
broken). The S3 has not been out long enough to be included in the
exchange matrix of the program.

I read on a board that the S3 IS is selling for $279 at OD.

I'm not excited about paying that right not. So I'd like to know, is
really it worth the extra $100 for the S3? ( And keep the S1 for a
doorstop.) Will I be happy to settle with the S2?

Thanks to all who reply

Renee

Old April 2nd 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
sally

Daniel Silevitch wrote in
:
Given the big difference in price, I'd go with the S2. The only real
difference between the S2 and the S3 is that the latter has a 6 MP
sensor, instead of 5 on the ealier camera. That's not a big enough
difference to really matter in terms of how big you can print and so
forth.

The S3 uses the same lens and sensor as the S2, so that extra 1MP does not
really capture any more detail. In most cases, printed photos are not going
to look any sharper. I, too, would choose the S2 if there is a big price
difference between the S2 and S3.
Old April 2nd 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Harmon

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 00:45:42 GMT in rec.photo.digital, Daniel Silevitch wrote,
Oh, and the S3 comes in gunmetal black, instead of white. I sort of
doubt that's worth $100 to you...

Is that right? I looked at a S3 the other day and I thought it was black plastic. If so, gunmetal world probably be worth at least $100 more.

Old April 2nd 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Daniel Silevitch

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 18:19:16 GMT, David Harmon wrote:
On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 00:45:42 GMT in rec.photo.digital, Daniel Silevitch wrote,
Oh, and the S3 comes in gunmetal black, instead of white. I sort of
doubt that's worth $100 to you...

Is that right? I looked at a S3 the other day and I thought it was
black plastic. If so, gunmetal world probably be worth at least $100
more.

'Gunmetal black' is the color, not the construction material. At least
that was the way it was described on the first webpage I checked; I'd
have just called it 'black' or perhaps 'dark grey' myself.

As far as I can tell from a quick look at a review or two, the
construction material is the same as the S2, just in a different color.

-dms
Old April 3rd 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alex Monro

sally wrote:

Daniel Silevitch wrote in
:
Given the big difference in price, I'd go with the S2. The only real
difference between the S2 and the S3 is that the latter has a 6 MP
sensor, instead of 5 on the ealier camera. That's not a big enough
difference to really matter in terms of how big you can print and so
forth.

The S3 uses the same lens and sensor as the S2, so that extra 1MP does not
really capture any more detail. In most cases, printed photos are not
going
to look any sharper. I, too, would choose the S2 if there is a big price
difference between the S2 and S3.

Other differences between S2IS & S3IS are live record mode histogram,
slightly larger screen, and a few more scene modes.

See http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonS3IS/Default.asp