Looking to replace EOS 650 - advice please!

Old January 26th 07, 11:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
01steven

Default Looking to replace EOS 650 - advice please!

Hi- first time poster on this forum. Hope someone out there can help
me.

Am in the UK so I appreciate the model numbers in Europe are not the
same as in the US.
I have had an EOS 650 for about 20 years and it's been fantastic.
I've got a digital camera too but still like to shoot b/w and slide
film so use my EOS 650 a lot.
It's now developed a fault but I can see that I could buy a replacement
body for about £30 ($56) or so on eBay.
Before I do this, I wanted to see if there were any other EOS 35mm SLR
bodies that I should consider which I could pick up at a very good
price on eBay or elsewhere.
I have a number of lenses and a flashgun so want to stick with another
EOS.

I can see you can pick up an EOS 1 body for about £100 ($188) on eBay.
I've seen EOS 5 bodies (I think this was called A2/A2E in US) going for
about £30-40 ($55-$75).
EOS 50 (US name - EOS Elan II/IIe I believe) at about £30 ($56).
And EOS 30 (US name - EOS Elan 7/7e I believe) at about £70 ($131).

I really like the weight in my EOS 650 - feels like a proper camera! I
know some of the later EOS 35mm SLRs were much lighter and not sure I
like that whole silver design.
Also from what I can understand the EOS 650, although one of the first
EOS SLRs was pretty well spec'd and I know took great shots. So I'm
really looking for something which will take as good or better images
and with the same or more features.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards
Steven

Old January 26th 07, 12:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Jan 26, 6:00 am, "01steven" wrote:
[...]

Hi:
The EOS 650 was ahead of it's time back when it came out in the
mid-80's. I had one for years, and it served me well. But compared to
Canon's newer and more upgraded EOS versions the 650 is a bit slow. My
brother has the later version, and I can't think of the model number,
but it's focusing system was far more superior and it had a lot more
options. Here is a link to some of the EOS film and digital
cameras.
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...categoryid=111

If I can get a hold of my brother, I'll find out what EOS model he
owns, but right now he's in sunny Florida golfing.
Helen

Old January 26th 07, 12:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

[...]

I found this website which is more informative:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS

It gives a list of all the EOS cameras from the beginning. It has the
American version and the European version tables written clearly for
you. Just scroll down.
If I had to recommend a film camera, it would most definitely be the
EOS 1V. That is one sweet baby.
Good Luck!
Helen

Old January 26th 07, 12:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Polson

On 26 Jan 2007 04:25:39 -0800, wrote:
I found this website which is more informative:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS

It gives a list of all the EOS cameras from the beginning. It has the
American version and the European version tables written clearly for
you. Just scroll down.
If I had to recommend a film camera, it would most definitely be the
EOS 1V. That is one sweet baby.

The EOS 1V is a fine camera, but it is very large and heavy compared
to the EOS 650. A better choice might be the EOS 3, which has almost
all the features and performance of the EOS 1V but is lighter and much
more compact.

I carry an EOS 3 body as backup to my EOS 5D bodies. I occasionally
use it when I need to shoot film and need a longer lens than my Leica
M outfit provides, or to shoot macro, which is time consuming and
difficult with a Leica. I have had no problem with my 5D bodies, so
the EOS 3 backup has never been needed.

Old January 26th 07, 12:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Skip

"01steven" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

The only caveat I can offer for any of the cameras on your list is that the
EOS 5 had a problem with the command dial breaking, leaving the dial
spinning freely, so you can't select a mode. The repair, here in the
states, ran about $100, and was permanent. If you can't ascertain that such
a repair had been affected on a certain camera, I'd avoid it. By the way,
mine broke after several years, but I'd moved to more digital shooting, and
never repaired it. Others had theirs break in a matter of months. So it's
not really something to take your chances on, in my opinion.
EOS bodies after the EOS 1 had more than one focus point, something that I
found critical. The 5 and 1n had 5 focus points in a row, the Elan/50 had
3, the 30, 7. The 5 and 1 series had spot metering, another critical point
for me, but I don't know what is critical for you.
The only silver bodies were the Elan II and the Rebel series (50 and 500, et
al) the others were all black. The heft of the 1 series may be a little
more than the 650, the 5 is pretty comparable, if I recall. I have a 5 and
1n, my wife's cousin had a 650, but I didn't handle it very much.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old January 26th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Skip

With all due respect to Helen, here's the site I've found most useful when
researching older Canon cameras and lenses:
http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/index.html

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
www.pbase.com/skipm
oups.com...

Old January 26th 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Jan 26, 7:51 am, Tony Polson wrote:
[...]

Yes I agree. The EOS 1V is quite heavy. This should be taken into
consideration if it is a problem for you.
The EOS 3 is another fine choice. What it does not have that the 1V
has is a finder eye-piece shutter (for macro),
it is even better sealed against dirt/water intrustion, you
don't have to worry about inconsistent eye-control-focus (ECF), faster
frame rates and it won't fog the very bottom of IR film frames. I'm
not sure, but the EOS 3 would probably be less expensive than the
professional 1V.
Helen