U.S.-Canadian dollars at par, but it sure doesn't matter!!

Old October 27th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Yvon Travailler

Default U.S.-Canadian dollars at par, but it sure doesn't matter!!

"jean" a écrit dans le message de

"RichA" a écrit dans le message de
oups.com...
Examples of "skewed" Canadian pricing. Henry's (Toronto) versus B&H.
B&H isn't even a discount store.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/87831039

B&H is selling the Canon 40D for $1300 US, I bought mine in Canada
(Montréal) for $1359. To me that was the same, the shipping from B&H

would
have eaten the difference and I would have to pay taxes in both cases.

Pentax SMC FA 50mm 1.4
Camera Canada: 283.00$ CAN (325$ in some store)
Adorama: 189.00$ US
The 2 new DA* lenses from Pentax are 25-30% cheaper in the states. (1000$
16-50 and 1300$ for the 50-135).

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Camera Canada: 1977.00$ CAN (ON SALE, regular price is 2242.19$ Canon,
almost 900$ more than Adorama !)
Adorama: 1399.00$US

Canon 10-22 is also 300$ cheaper in the States.

Any Canon lens over 1000$ is always a lot cheaper in the states. Sometimes
you can save more than 1000$-$2000 on 1 lens.

400mm f2.8L IS USM EF Lens:
Cameracanada: $7716.00$ CAN
B&H: 6500.00$ US for the US one and 6399.00$ US for the grey market one

Remember you save another 3% buying from the states, the exchange rate is
now 1,0350.

Old October 27th 07, 06:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Yvon Travailler

"jean" a écrit dans le message de

"RichA" a écrit dans le message de
ups.com...
On Oct 26, 6:03 pm, "jean" wrote:
"RichA" a écrit dans le message

groups.com...

Examples of "skewed" Canadian pricing. Henry's (Toronto) versus B&H.
B&H isn't even a discount store.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/87831039

B&H is selling the Canon 40D for $1300 US, I bought mine in Canada
(Montréal) for $1359. To me that was the same, the shipping from B&H

would
have eaten the difference and I would have to pay taxes in both cases.

Advantages:

Support local business
No warranty issues
No time waiting for delivery

Shop around, prices are not the same everywhere

Jean

I thought I already covered this? The BODIES don't differ much in
price. It is EVERYTHING ELSE that does.
Example: Canon 70-200mm f2.8 I.S.
B&H: $1699.95
Henry's: $2199!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A 30 PERCENT HIGHER
PRICE!!!

Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM is currently 1575.00$ US until Jan 13 2008. (125$
instant rebate http://www.adorama.com/pdfs/rebates/canonIR_011308.pdf ).

Anyone knows if we will get those rebates ?

There is a refurbished one at 1399.00$ US.

Old October 27th 07, 06:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
jean

On Oct 26, 6:03 pm, "jean" wrote:
[...]

But according to the liars at Henry's, at that price, you're saving
$400.00!!!!!!!!! HILARIOUS!!!

SO DON'T BUY ANYTHING AT HENRY'S DOLT!

Old October 27th 07, 08:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Dennis Pogson wrote:
Jim Townsend wrote:
RichA wrote:

Examples of "skewed" Canadian pricing. Henry's (Toronto) versus B&H.
B&H isn't even a discount store.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/87831039

The Canadian dollar is over par. Right now $1 CDN = $1.03464 US

Dealers are screwing Canadians big time. Not just with camera
equipment, but other things as well. Mid range cars and SUV's
can cost as much as $10,000 more in Canada.

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/270299

My advice is to shop in the U.S. whenever possible. That's the only
way Canadian dealers will lower their prices. I'm getting new tires
for my truck.. I'm buying them from Tire Rack in the US. I'm
saving $400.00.

All this discussion when all you have to do is nip down to Buffalo or some
other US city close to Toronto and buy the camera there. If we can do it
from UK, surely the price of gas in Canada can't negate the advantage of
being able to visit the US by car and buy stuff there?

BTW, "gas" in the UK is currently just below £1 per LITRE! Isn't that around
$9US per gallon?
Boy, you don't know you're born over there!

Dennis.

Goodness NO.
Last time I looked a British Pound Stirling was about $1.53, and there
are 4 liters/gallon (approx), so that would be about $6 a gallon, give
or take a few pence....
Old October 27th 07, 08:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_4_]

Ron Hunter wrote:
[]
Last time I looked a British Pound Stirling was about $1.53, and there
are 4 liters/gallon (approx), so that would be about $6 a gallon, give
or take a few pence....

Ron,

Today, 1 GBP = USD 2.05

Petrol is about 0.95 GBP per litre, so about US $7.73 per US gallon.

It's Sterling, no Stirling, BTW. This site looked fun:

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch...ons/money.html

and anyone younger than about 35 will not have used our "old money":

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch...s/moneyold.htm

A "guinea" (£1.05) was the unit in which quality goods were priced, as it
sounded so much better than "pounds" and brought in 5% more, of course!

Cheers,
David

Old October 27th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
/dev/null

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
BTW, "gas" in the UK is currently just below £1 per LITRE! Isn't that
around

$9US per gallon?
Boy, you don't know you're born over there!

Dennis.

Goodness NO.
Last time I looked a British Pound Stirling was about $1.53, and there are
4 liters/gallon (approx), so that would be about $6 a gallon, give or take
a few pence....

US Gallon is 3.8 litres, the Imperial Gallon in 4.5 litres..

Old October 29th 07, 01:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
faune8

Not Disclosed wrote in news:47208f82$0$30612$88260bb3
@unlimited.teranews.com:

RichA wrote:
On Oct 25, 9:26 am, Not Disclosed wrote:
RichA wrote:
Examples of "skewed" Canadian pricing. Henry's (Toronto) versus B&H.
B&H isn't even a discount store.
http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/87831039
And your point is? Why don't you also show European and Asian prices.

The store can't control the prices, it's based on about a 10% mark-up
from their cost.

Boy, are YOU deluded.

Ya think? So Mr. Expert what does a store selling a Nikon D200 pay Nikon
Canada for it?

Hey stop that nonsence. What nobody understands is that canadians will buy
US and maybe I say maybe the canadian dealers will understand that they
have advantage to lowers the prices that is if they understand( they are
somtimes hard headed).
I'm a canadian myself.

--
Photos
http://www.chez.com/anaclet
Old October 29th 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
/dev/null

"faune8" wrote in message

Hey stop that nonsence. What nobody understands is that canadians will buy
US and maybe I say maybe the canadian dealers will understand that they
have
advantage to lowers the prices that is if they understand( they are
somtimes hard headed).
I'm a canadian myself.

But if I compare net prices, the price dealers pay to Canon Canada or Nikon
Canada, it is impossible to lower prices to US levels. Example, the EF Canon
100/2 lens. Canon Canada wholesale price (what a store will pay) is $650CAD,
the lowest price I found in Canada retail is $729.99CAD (or a huge $80
markup) B&H sells it for $375.00CAD (USD $390). So your market model is buy
high, sell low a mere $275CAD loss.