U.S.-Canadian dollars at par, but it sure doesn't matter!!

Old October 25th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ron Recer

Default U.S.-Canadian dollars at par, but it sure doesn't matter!!

"RsH" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:46:11 -0400, Not Disclosed
wrote:

RichA wrote:
The store can't control the prices, it's based on about a 10% mark-up
from their cost.

Boy, are YOU deluded.

Ya think? So Mr. Expert what does a store selling a Nikon D200 pay Nikon
Canada for it?

Lets take Tiger Direct then. The price they charge in the U.S. against
the price they charge for the SAME item in Canada. I just looked at
'new' SD cards and one specific card is US$16.99 and C$20.99. This is
from one purchase order placed at corporate level by Tiger Direct and
allocated to the two countries by Tiger Direct. They were likely
shipped directly from China ready for sale, with English and Spanish
for the U.S packaging and English and French for the Canadian
packaging. The price difference is 17.5%! The supplier in China got
the SAME amount from Tiger Direct for this product wherever it was
shipped, Canada or the U.S.

I agree that with Cameras the prices are set, in the main, in Japan by
Nikon, Canon, FujiFilm, Olympus, Panasonic, and so on. They OWN the
U.S. and the Canadian wholesaler, and can TELL that wholesaler 'Here
is your price - pay us X per Camera, and charge the Henry's of the
world Y per Camera. The margin will be more than 10% - I suspect it is
closer to 25%-30%, as, to use a simple example, Beach Camera is
selling, in the U.S., the FujiFilm S8000fd for about $320 when the
U.S. list is $400.00 or a 20% discount. Since this price includes
shipping free via FedEx ground and some amount of profit, and since
this is a camera that just hit the market this month, their price has
to be as least 5% lower, or $300.00. I know of a dealer whose price is
actually under $300.00 but I do not trust them, and theirs might be
grey market, while the Beach units are NOT grey market.

The point is a valid one, as the price in Canada for the same camera
was set at a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $470.00 the same
day the press release in the U.S. said $400.00 in July, 2007. The
difference in the value of the U.S. and Canadian dollars on the day of
the press release in both countries was that the U.S. dollar was worth
6% more than the Canadian dollar, and not 3% less as is the case now,
but that 6% difference seems to have resulted in a 17.5% difference in
the suggested retail price on that date. I will point out that
FujiFilm Canada offers a 3 year warranty and FujiFilm U.S. offers a 1
year warranty, with a 2 year extension costing $50.00 if you want it,
so the prices are basically equal IF you consider the warranty as
being worth that $50.00

Anyway, take it for what it is worth... These are simply comments and
I agree that retailers in Canada are caught between a rock and a hard
place and it will take time for prices to 'equalise'... when
wholesalers and importers stop screwing the retailers, IF they even
care.

RsH

How about the Canadian "Goods and Service Tax". If I remember correctly it
is included in the retail price of items in Canada. I don't remember the
tax rate, but the GST would make up at least part of the difference.

Ron

Old October 25th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Spam THis

wrote:

RichA wrote:
[...]

It's not included in the retail price, so in Ontario the D200 would
retail for $1,500 +taxes 6% GST plus 8% PST = $1,710. The retail would
buy the D200 from Nikon Canada for $1,380 plus 6% GST.

Nikon Canada tries to set the MSRP at $1,599.99 so that would round up
to a whopping 16% margin. Henry's boldly claims on their website;

"Henrys lowers prices on Nikon!" and advertises full list price! Nikon
had a $60 shelf protection last week.

Old October 25th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
rarewolf

On Oct 25, 4:25 pm, Spam THis dev/null wrote:
Ron Recer wrote:
.. .
wrote:

RichA wrote:
[...]

had a $60 shelf protection last week.- Hide quoted text -

Canada retailers do have some control ... eg, CameraCanada is selling
a $1700USD camera I'm interested in for $1653CAD, whereas Henry's is
selling it for $1800. I might expect Henry's price to come down with
some pressure applied (... as if they'd match CameraCanada).

Auto parts are a different story. My Honda dealer said I needed a
$200CAD part, and I found the same Genuine Honda Part in the US for
$39USD!!

Neither of these examples need take into account inventory ... the
camera is brand new (Oly E-3) and the Honda part would have been
shipped from the US anyway. Go figure!

cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula (where the prices are even
higher!) )

Old October 26th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
RichA

On Oct 25, 2:49 pm, rarewolf wrote:
On Oct 25, 4:25 pm, Spam THis dev/null wrote:

Ron Recer wrote:
.. .
wrote:

RichA wrote:
[...]

I have no problem paying them 10-15% more than a U.S. dealer because
they stock the product (sometimes) and have a store. Being able to
see the thing is a value. Herbert Keppler once said 20% more wasn't
unreasonable for excellent service.
But I will NOT pay 30-40% more for ANYTHING today and I won't pay
70-100% more for basic accessories.

Old October 26th 07, 09:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

wrote:

RichA wrote:
[...]

I don't know about camera prices, but what really amazed me when I
visited Canada last year was the outrageous cost of FOOD in a
restaurant. What would have cost $9 on the US side cost $14 on the
Canadian side! Certainly there are differences in the tax structure,
and that might have a lot to do with the differences.
Old October 26th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
/dev/null

"RichA" wrote in message
oups.com...
Examples of "skewed" Canadian pricing. Henry's (Toronto) versus B&H.
B&H isn't even a discount store.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/87831039

Henry's is the most expensive camera store in Canada. They advertise full
MSRP on their website. Then they claim they lowered the price when the maker
has a price drop.

Henry's is more interested in pushing their "Health" extended warranty, and
their 29% credit card.

Old October 26th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
RichA

wrote:

RichA wrote:
[...]

Part of that is due to the age-old SOCIALIST marketing boards in
Canada. They control basic foodstuff prices, not the market and those
basics effect every other food product.

Old October 26th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
/dev/null

"RichA" wrote in message
ups.com...

Ya think? So Mr. Expert what does a store selling a Nikon D200 pays
Nikon Canada for it?

Part of that is due to the age-old SOCIALIST marketing boards in
Canada. They control basic foodstuff prices, not the market and those
basics effect every other food product.

So is there a Nikon Marketing Board? It's been established that Nikon Canada
sells the retailer a D200 for CDN $1380, Henry's will sell it for full MSRP
of $1600 (+16%) stores like Camera Canada it's $1572, Vistek it's $1530.
Galaxy Camera quoted via e-mail at $1500 so between 9% to 16% (Henry's) is
the average markup in Canada.

Old October 26th 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
RichA

On Oct 26, 11:41 am, "/dev/null" nntp.server.net wrote:
"RichA" wrote in message

ups.com...

Ya think? So Mr. Expert what does a store selling a Nikon D200 pays
Nikon Canada for it?

Part of that is due to the age-old SOCIALIST marketing boards in
Canada. They control basic foodstuff prices, not the market and those
basics effect every other food product.

So is there a Nikon Marketing Board? It's been established that Nikon Canada
sells the retailer a D200 for CDN $1380, Henry's will sell it for full MSRP
of $1600 (+16%) stores like Camera Canada it's $1572, Vistek it's $1530.
Galaxy Camera quoted via e-mail at $1500 so between 9% to 16% (Henry's) is
the average markup in Canada.

If true, and if Americans are selling it for $1499 (B&H) then the Can.
Nikon dealers are paying more than the Americans since we know B&H
does not sell products at a loss. All moot. People will buy from
where they can get the best deals, so if I were Nikon (instead of
trying to erect questionable trade barriers) I'd re-adjust my pricing
to the Canadian dealers so it matches the U.S. dealer cost.
But the Nikon body is a bad example. Why? Because to get a Nikon in
Canada from the U.S. source would cost:
$1499 + $40 shipping.
+ 15% = $1769.85 versus $1782.00 Can. Obviously, you'd go for the
Canadian product.

So lets take a better example, Olympus's 50-200mm lens.
$1199 at Henry's, $829.95 at B&H.
After tax at Henry's $1379.00. Landed, after $30 shipping and tax
from the U.S. $988.95. A $390 difference!!!! about 38% higher than
the U.S. landed price.
Disgusting.

Old October 26th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Yvon Travailler

"Not Disclosed" a écrit dans le message de
. com...
RichA wrote:
Examples of "skewed" Canadian pricing. Henry's (Toronto) versus B&H.
B&H isn't even a discount store.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/87831039

And your point is? Why don't you also show European and Asian prices.

maybe because the US is a 30 min drive only from a few major cities in
Canada ? Maybe because we can order from the US for cheap delivery ?

The store can't control the prices, it's based on about a 10% mark-up
from their cost.

Sometimes the store keep the differences in the new cost for them.

The importers set their net prices, and the dealers can NOT buy "grey
market" or they will lose their dealerships.

B&H has grey markey (a lot), they never lost theis dealerships. You really
dont about what you are talking.

The Canadian dollar is at $1.02 USD, but you expect an instant reaction
on prices. I expect Q1 of FY2008 US prices may go up.

instant ? its been 2 years now since its over 0.80US and the lenses prices
didnt move at all, moron.