all about Canon PowerShot G7

Old September 24th 07, 09:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default all about Canon PowerShot G7

The Canon Powershot G7 is the kind of camera that not only makes you
feel like a better photographer...
http://www.digitalcameras-plus.com/c...-g7-lists.html

Old September 24th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
/dev/null

wrote in message
oups.com...
The Canon Powershot G7 is the kind of camera that not only makes you
feel like a better photographer...
http://www.digitalcameras-plus.com/c...-g7-lists.html

Discontinued, so sad too bad! Your sentence makes no sense! It's a
point-and-shoot camera, nothing more.

Old September 24th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
DSLR_Fool_Spotter

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:29:17 -0400, "/dev/null" wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
The Canon Powershot G7 is the kind of camera that not only makes you
feel like a better photographer...
http://www.digitalcameras-plus.com/c...-g7-lists.html

Discontinued, so sad too bad! Your sentence makes no sense! It's a
point-and-shoot camera, nothing more.

Too bad for every DSLR owner that CHDK is now available for the G7, giving it
capabilities that surpass every DSLR on earth, even the new $8000 DLSRs being
released this year can't come close to what a CHDK equipped G7 can do.

Read about it here

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=24923757

You are better off trying to find a G7 than buying the finest DSLR. No contest.

Old September 24th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Daniel Silevitch

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 21:35:19 GMT, DSLR_Fool_Spotter wrote:
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:29:17 -0400, "/dev/null" wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...
The Canon Powershot G7 is the kind of camera that not only makes you
feel like a better photographer...
http://www.digitalcameras-plus.com/c...-g7-lists.html

Discontinued, so sad too bad! Your sentence makes no sense! It's a
point-and-shoot camera, nothing more.

Too bad for every DSLR owner that CHDK is now available for the G7, giving it
capabilities that surpass every DSLR on earth, even the new $8000 DLSRs being
released this year can't come close to what a CHDK equipped G7 can do.

(it's a troll. I know I shouldn't respond)

For $8K, I can buy a Canon 1DIII and a couple of professional-grade
lenses. That body will shoot at something like 10 frames/sec at full
sensor resolution. I don't care _what_ firmware hack you put in the G7,
it won't be able to do that.

For considerably less money, I can buy a Canon 5D and an f/1.4 lens, and
take handheld pictures in very low light. No firmware hack will give you
a useful ISO3200 and a fast lens.

For less money still, I can buy a Nikon D80 and a 12-24 lens; no
firmware hack will give you a real wide-angle view.

-dms
Old September 24th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Georgie

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 22:23:34 GMT, Daniel Silevitch wrote:

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 21:35:19 GMT, DSLR_Fool_Spotter wrote:
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:29:17 -0400, "/dev/null" wrote:

wrote in message
egroups.com...
[...]

Let's see any of your DSLRs do any of this

http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK/uBASIC/Scripts

And while motion detection hasn't been added to the G7 CHDK version yet, it's
now available for all the other CHDK supported cameras.

Lets see you set up your untethered DSLR next to a bird-feeder and have it
happily and automatically take photos of all your feathered-friends for you all
day long while you're not there. Or maybe you are a researcher trying to capture
that rare and endangered Florida Panther on some remote trail in the swamps. A
place that nobody in their right mind would take a DSLR let alone a laptop. Set
a motion detect script into action and come back later to get all the photos you
wanted, safely.

You can keep your DSLR. If it can't get the pictures one is after then it's as
good as buying a doorstop.

Old September 25th 07, 09:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_4_]

Georgie wrote:
[]
Lets see you set up your untethered DSLR next to a bird-feeder and
have it happily and automatically take photos of all your
feathered-friends for you all day long while you're not there.

Until the battery runs out....

Old September 25th 07, 11:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Algernon

On 25 Sep 2007 08:24 GMT,
spewed:

Georgie wrote:
[]
Lets see you set up your untethered DSLR next to a bird-feeder and
have it happily and automatically take photos of all your
feathered-friends for you all day long while you're not there.

Until the battery runs out....

I guess your camera doesn't have an external power-supply socket where you can
plug in a battery pack. I use a NiMH battery pack that I obtained from a surplus
house for only $4 rated at 7.2 Ah which is about the size of a large pack of
cigarettes. I bought a couple of them but just one will be enough for most
remote-shooting purposes. One pack should power my CHDK P&S camera just fine for
about 1,800 photos (half with flash if needed), or 30 hours worth of
motion-triggered video clips, or sit idle for weeks if no shots are being taken.
You can set CHDK to turn off EVF/LCD display to conserve power. Didn't you know
you can take over 10 hours of 30fps video + 44.1kHz stereo audio on just 4 AA
2500mAh cells in some Powershot cameras that can run CHDK? For most people just
the AA cells alone will be enough to power their camera for 24 hours or more for
unattended motion-detection still-frames and video-clips, if you set your camera
to shut down the EVF/LCD display after every shot or video that is automatically
recorded.

I guess you must not have a very good camera.

Old September 25th 07, 11:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_4_]

Algernon wrote:
[]
[...]

Thanks for your clarification on when external power would be needed,
which was missing from your original post. Wouldn't 10 hours of video
require you to change the memory card?

What cameras I have does not really matter, as I do not wish take photos
in the manner you indicate, although if the presence of an external power
socket is required to make a camera "very good" then all my cameras are
"very good". For my own photographic requirements, I have never needed to
use an external power source.

David

Old September 25th 07, 11:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:04:15 GMT, the Mendacious Sock Puppet
returns, now calling itself Algernon, to write:

Lets see you set up your untethered DSLR next to a bird-feeder and
have it happily and automatically take photos of all your
feathered-friends for you all day long while you're not there.

Until the battery runs out....

I guess your camera doesn't have an external power-supply socket where
you can plug in a battery pack. I use a NiMH battery pack that I obtained
from a surplus house for only $4 rated at 7.2 Ah which is about the size of
a large pack of cigarettes. I bought a couple of them but just one will be
enough for most remote-shooting purposes. One pack should power my
CHDK P&S camera just fine for about 1,800 photos (half with flash if
needed), or 30 hours worth of motion-triggered video clips, or sit idle for
weeks if no shots are being taken.

Fabricating sock puppy, you need to keep the facts straight and
not cherry pick the best features of several Powershots as if they
were describing a single camera. First, a possible typo. The G7
uses a 720mAh battery, so if you found one claiming to be 7.2AH
(7,200mAh), it's probably worth less than the $4 you claim to have
paid for it. Next, which camera are you talking about? The G7,
which is what this thread is about, won't get anywhere near 1,800
shots per charge unless it's tethered to a DieHard battery. With a
fully charged battery and taking 1/2 of the shots with flash, it'll
be good for 220 shots, not 1,800. If you don't use the flash and
turn off the LCD, it'll be good for 500 shots, still well below
1,800.

Some of the A6x0 series Powershots can come close to 1,800 shots
per charge, but only if the flash isn't used. They also use AA
cells, not the Li-Ion battery pack used by the G7. The G7's
battery is good for no more than 5 hours of video, not 30, and if
they're made up of many short clips, you'll probably get less than 5
hours worth of video per charge. Again, the A6x0 series cameras are
what you'd want for long video capacity. The A620 can get up to 16
hours per charge and the A640 up to 20. Which Powershot provides 30
hours per charge? Maybe you've found a source for 4,000mAh AA
cells? If so, you'd better test them.

Old September 25th 07, 11:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Algernon

On 25 Sep 2007 10:20 GMT,
spewed:

Thanks for your clarification on when external power would be needed,
which was missing from your original post. Wouldn't 10 hours of video
require you to change the memory card?

10+ hours of video clips will fit on a 4G SD card using CHDK's hi-compression
video mode.

20+ hours on an 8G SD card.

See the time/capacity list on CHDK's firmware usage page.