Micro 4/3 at ISO 3200

Old April 21st 17, 03:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Micro 4/3 at ISO 3200

On 2017-04-21 14:42:05 +0000, Davoud said:

Davoud:
Uh, OK, looks good, but do people really go around shooting at ISO
3200? If so, why, outside of astrophotography?

Eric Stevens:
All OK, but high ISO cuts down the possible dynamic range. Keep it low
if you can.

Exactly so. ISO 3200 may be trendy, but I'm interested in picture
quality, not trendiness. I shoot between ISO 100 and 200. Not enough
light? That's what off-camera flashes are for
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/33738820160/,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/33278813924.

However, there are times flash is prohibited, not convenient, or
available. Not everybody shoots under controlled conditions, so
flexibility with the exposure triangle is desirable.

Savageduck

Old April 21st 17, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Davoud says...

Eric Stevens:
All OK, but high ISO cuts down the possible dynamic range. Keep it low
if you can.

Exactly so. ISO 3200 may be trendy, but I'm interested in picture
quality, not trendiness. I shoot between ISO 100 and 200. Not enough
light? That's what off-camera flashes are for
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/33738820160/,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/33278813924.

I shoot almost everything at lowest ISO, but there can be situations in
which you need to crank up the ISO because you can't use a flash (for
instance if the subject is not static and very far away).
--
Alfred Molon

Old April 21st 17, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 10:13:50 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Uh, OK, looks good, but do people really go around shooting at ISO
3200? If so, why, outside of astrophotography?

Shooting high ISO is just another creative option, especially with
newer sensors. While it is optimal to shoot at native ISO there are
definitely times when higher ISO is desirable. Remember there are folks
who shoot genres other than astrophotography, or macro photography of
insects.

Today many cameras perform well in low light at ISO 3200, 6400, and to
12800 and beyond. You will find that a new trend is to use Auto-ISO
with a base ISO, a minimum shutter speed, and max ISO set. Canon,
Nikon, Olympus, Fujifilm and others all have this feature, and it works
well. I use it all depending on circumstances; fixed ISO, (native and
selected sub-native, medium, and high), and three different Auto-ISO
set-ups.

All OK, but high ISO cuts down the possible dynamic range.

better to have low dynamic range than nothing at all.

Keep it low
if you can.

*if* you can. it's not always possible, and also why auto-iso is a good
choice.

Which is why I use it.

Eric Stevens
Old April 21st 17, 11:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 10:42:05 -0400, Davoud wrote:

Davoud:
Uh, OK, looks good, but do people really go around shooting at ISO
3200? If so, why, outside of astrophotography?

Eric Stevens:
All OK, but high ISO cuts down the possible dynamic range. Keep it low
if you can.

Exactly so. ISO 3200 may be trendy, but I'm interested in picture
quality, not trendiness. I shoot between ISO 100 and 200. Not enough
light? That's what off-camera flashes are for
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/33738820160/,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/33278813924.

And then there is available light. Here is our resident dominant
carnivore
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mwwndf562o...02434.jpg?dl=0

Eric Stevens
Old April 22nd 17, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-04-21 14:42:05 +0000, Davoud said:

Davoud:
Uh, OK, looks good, but do people really go around shooting at ISO
3200? If so, why, outside of astrophotography?

Eric Stevens:
All OK, but high ISO cuts down the possible dynamic range. Keep it low
if you can.

Exactly so. ISO 3200 may be trendy, but I'm interested in picture
quality, not trendiness. I shoot between ISO 100 and 200. Not enough
light? That's what off-camera flashes are for
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/33738820160/,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/33278813924.

....and even with the off camera softbox lighting set up, you still shot
at ISO 400, not 100, or 200. I can think of quite a number of places
where folks might like to shoot where your Profoto softbox, stand,
cables, and foam reflectors would not be welcome, or convenient. As I
have said, having flexibility with the exposure triangle is just
another tool for any photographer.

Here is a SOOC JPEG without a softbox or any other flash shot with
available light at ISO 6400, just a +1 EV adjustment on the camera
(X-T2). No cropping, no resize, no post processing adustment this is a
WYSIWYG image.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bl9zn1fxpeqfy5j/_DSF4211.JPG

....and an ISO 3200 SOOC JPEG, along with an ISO 400 SOOC JPEG, shot on
the X-E2, all available light and no post processing;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vltkablfng34k7k/_DSF4104-2.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ho4tzfi4k2w15dg/_DSF4091.jpg

Savageduck

Old April 23rd 17, 02:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Noons

On 23/04/2017 4:48 @wiz, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Noons says...
With my EM5, I've used up to 1/250 on an adapted Sigma 500mm/8 mirror
lens with up to 3200ISO with relatively good results for Saturn and
Jupiter. With the moon I've used high ISO to crank up the shutter speed
and take 40Mpixel shots with the sensor shifting multiple exposure.

Now I'm curious. Have you posted your images somewhere, so that we could
have a look at them?

No, sorry. I don't post large images anywhere anymore.
Had enough of the bull**** that goes on online with copying of images
and using them without authorization. When some idiot stole one of my
images in Gurushots and messed it up in Photoshop to enter a
competition, I drew the line...

I have some small ones in Facebook. The album is open to public and you
can have a peek there. Excuse the Portuguese in some of the comments.
I've added info on how each shot was made for most shots and what they
are of. Bear in mind I'm in Australia so the Moon is upside down!

They are a bit old (around 2 years) and very small, but should be enough
to give you an idea of what's possible with simple gear.

https://www.facebook.com/nuno.pintod...7241591&type=3

Nowadays I use a Takahashi Teegul clock mount that makes
astrophotography of deep sky objects a LOT easier!

Old April 25th 17, 11:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Friday, 21 April 2017 15:42:09 UTC+1, Davoud wrote:
Davoud:
Uh, OK, looks good, but do people really go around shooting at ISO
3200? If so, why, outside of astrophotography?

Eric Stevens:
All OK, but high ISO cuts down the possible dynamic range. Keep it low
if you can.

Exactly so. ISO 3200 may be trendy, but I'm interested in picture
quality, not trendiness.

I'm intrested in subject matter rather than quality.

You don't say...

I shoot between ISO 100 and 200. Not enough
light? That's what off-camera flashes are for
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/33738820160/,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/33278813924.

Have you ever tried gig photogrpahy or some sports photography, I was watching the snooker last night

While yuo say yuo shoot between 100-200 why are both the images you posted as some sort of proof both been shot at 400 ?

He wants to prove that diffraction is an non issue a short FLs and
thus needs that extra stop.

--
Bats can't tell us apart!

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old April 25th 17, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 25/04/2017 11:07, Whisky-dave wrote:
[]
Have you ever tried gig photogrpahy or some sports photography, I was watching the snooker last night

[]

Snooker - an event where the clatter of a flapping mirror isn't
appreciated, and might even get you thrown out.

--
Cheers,
David
Old April 25th 17, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-04-25 15:56:05 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

On Tuesday, 25 April 2017 14:48:44 UTC+1, David Taylor wrote:
On 25/04/2017 11:07, Whisky-dave wrote:
[]
Have you ever tried gig photogrpahy or some sports photography, I was
watching the snooker last night

[]

Snooker - an event where the clatter of a flapping mirror isn't
appreciated, and might even get you thrown out.

So an idea use for a mirrorless camera but I have one of those and
where as a DLSR will have a mirror making the noise my canon EOS M3 has
the sensor flapping up and down making all the noise. (unless I switch
to video mode)

What sensor flapping up and down?
If it does, that would be a serious concern for Canon.

But I have seen pictures from snooker rooms even of 40 years ago people
did manage to take photos, pehaps the photographers today do really
need 12 FPS to capture the cue ball kissing the pink.

Again makes me wonder who the best photogrpahers are those that used
film with a 2-5 FPS or those with a 12 FPS.

Savageduck

Old April 25th 17, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article 201704250912162196-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
says...
So an idea use for a mirrorless camera but I have one of those and
where as a DLSR will have a mirror making the noise my canon EOS M3 has
the sensor flapping up and down making all the noise. (unless I switch
to video mode)

What sensor flapping up and down?
If it does, that would be a serious concern for Canon.

To solve the problem of the swinging sensor we have to wait for the next
generation of sensorless cameras :-)
--
Alfred Molon