D7000 Liveview switch

Old December 27th 14, 04:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Nige Danton[_2_]

Default D7000 Liveview switch

"Ian" wrote:

The manual at
http://cdn-10.nikon-cdn.com/pdf/manu...2/D7000_EN.pdf
doesn't mention a lock. See pages 49 and 53.

Hi Ian, yes thanks. I guess he switch must be faulty. Pity, as I'm a
considerable distance from a repair shop.

--
Nige Danton - Replace the obvious with g.m.a.i.l
Old December 27th 14, 11:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ian

"Nige Danton" wrote in message
: "Ian" wrote:
:
: The manual at
:
http://cdn-10.nikon-cdn.com/pdf/manu...2/D7000_EN.pdf
: doesn't mention a lock. See pages 49 and 53.
:
: Hi Ian, yes thanks. I guess he switch must be faulty. Pity, as I'm a
: considerable distance from a repair shop.
:
: --
: Nige Danton - Replace the obvious with g.m.a.i.l

Hello Nigel. These switches are small and it might be that the mechanism is
binding/jammed and that moving it gently and slightly in different
directions might free it. I've found this with other small switches where
the switch mechanism has very little leeway in movement for it to bind. I
suspect they are much more of a compromise, mechanically, than switches of a
larger size.
The inbuilt flash of my DSLR had problems for a while and needed a push to
pop up (this had to be a prompt push otherwise the camera would decide that
the flash was faulty and go into fault mode). After a while the flash
settled down in its pivots and is now back in normal working order.

Best wishes, Ian.

Old December 28th 14, 01:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Nige Danton[_2_]

"Ian" wrote:

Hello Nigel. These switches are small and it might be that the mechanism is
binding/jammed and that moving it gently and slightly in different
directions might free it. I've found this with other small switches where
the switch mechanism has very little leeway in movement for it to bind. I
suspect they are much more of a compromise, mechanically, than switches of a
larger size.
The inbuilt flash of my DSLR had problems for a while and needed a push to
pop up (this had to be a prompt push otherwise the camera would decide that
the flash was faulty and go into fault mode). After a while the flash
settled down in its pivots and is now back in normal working order.

Coincidentally, it's partially freed itself now. It's still very stiff and
is slow to return, but at least it's sort-of working. I've rarely used it
in the past but I've recently bought a set of extension tubes to try macro
photography.

Switching topics to macro: it's much (much) harder to focus on the subject
than I'd anticipated. My set up is an 18-105 lens (the only lens I have),
tripod, aperture priority (smallest f-stop to maximise the depth of field),
and outdoors. I'm just experimenting with flowers right now and am using
all three extension tubes. One of the difficulties is getting enough light
on the subject. All that said, it's good fun.

--
Nige Danton - Replace the obvious with g.m.a.i.l
Old December 28th 14, 03:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 12/27/2014 7:38 PM, Nige Danton wrote:
"Ian" wrote:

[...]

Welcome to the macro world.
When I don't use a macro lens, I also use extension tubes for my macro
work. Just a few hints. I rarely use autofocus. I find that using
liveview for focusing is a real PITA, especially outdoors. (YMMV)
The above are just my macro preferences. More importantly, many lenses
will have noticable diffraction at the smallest aperature. You might
want to check the manufacturers website. Not every image needs to be, or
should be sharp in all areas. You can use partial image blur creatively.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/1%20Needs%20A%20Shower.jpg

--
PeterN
Old December 28th 14, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ian

[...]

Hello again Nige.
That's good news on the switch and it is what I hoped would happen. The jam
will hopefully not happen again.

Macrophotography is good fun but has its challenges as you are finding out.
May I suggest a couple of things?
1) Using the smallest aperture makes sense for depth of field but lenses
usually perform best when stopped down only 2-3 stops from fully open. For
example, when I use aperture priority with my 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 lens I'll
probably use f6.3-8.
2) You may find it easier to take photos if you use only one extension
tube despite the resulting image not being as large.
More tubes = dimmer viewfinder.
Try using all three tubes then try using one tube. Load the images onto your
computer and compare the images after zooming so they are the same size and
see what differences you can see.
I used this technique when deciding whether to buy a 150-500mm lens or keep
my 70-300mm lens. When I used these lenses at the long end (500mm and 300mm
respectively) and zoomed into the images so they were the same size I found
that the images from the 70-300mm were sharper and had better contrast than
those from the 150-500mm lens. The tests saved me from buying the bulky and
heavy 150-500mm lens.
I have a 60mm macro lens (approx 96mm on my APS-C DSLR) which I use for
macro work in my garden (flowers and insects). I don't take it on holiday so
use my 15-85mm for macro work and the results are not at all bad. The 60mm
lens is a luxury and one I would not have bought at new price. I bought it
second-hand from a dealer I can trust (LCE in Nottingham and Derby).

Have fun.
Best wishes, Ian.

Old December 28th 14, 05:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 12/28/2014 10:27 AM, Ian wrote:
[...]

That depends on the lens. I use my 70-200 and have put all three tubes,
and it gives me crisp images. Some lenses are not designed for close up,
or macro work. Others, such as my 200mm micro IIRC I have put five tubes
on, with no loss of image quality. However, the lens gives terrible
images at distances greater than 10', although it focuses to infinity.

Old December 28th 14, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
android

In article , PeterN
wrote:

On 12/28/2014 10:27 AM, Ian wrote:
"Nige Danton" wrote in message
-september
.org...

[...]

It's the med Nikkor 200mm 5.6, right? That lens is designed for closeup
work in institutions and the infinity setting is really a freebie, sort
of... You really should use bellows and a tripod instead of extension
tubes with that thingie!

I used this technique when deciding whether to buy a 150-500mm lens or keep
my 70-300mm lens. When I used these lenses at the long end (500mm and 300mm
respectively) and zoomed into the images so they were the same size I found
that the images from the 70-300mm were sharper and had better contrast than
those from the 150-500mm lens. The tests saved me from buying the bulky and
heavy 150-500mm lens.
I have a 60mm macro lens (approx 96mm on my APS-C DSLR) which I use for
macro work in my garden (flowers and insects). I don't take it on holiday
so
use my 15-85mm for macro work and the results are not at all bad. The 60mm
lens is a luxury and one I would not have bought at new price. I bought it
second-hand from a dealer I can trust (LCE in Nottingham and Derby).

--
teleportation kills
Old December 28th 14, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

You might try a sparing application of some contac/control cleaner and
lubricant. AKA tuner cleaner back in the day of the mechanical rotary
TV tuners. This was useful in helping cure then main switch issues
associated with aging Nikon CP-990s and similar cameras.
Remember to block off the viewfinder if using auto exposure with
liveview.

Old December 28th 14, 06:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 12/28/2014 11:24 AM, android wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

Nope: It's an f4, manual focus. The lens cap is 52mm. To give you an
idea of its age, I bought it used over 35 years ago.
I often use it on a tripod. I sold my bellows because I did not like
working with them.

Old December 28th 14, 06:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
android

wrote:

On 12/28/2014 10:27 AM, Ian wrote:
"Nige Danton" wrote in message

[...]